Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  68  69  70 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Who said that... (Page 3)
Author Topic: Who said that...
Roll of Honor Peregrin Took
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

posted      Profile for Peregrin Took   Email Peregrin Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
thorin...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Support cows named Bob, if you don't who will?
Save a Cow, eat a Chicken!

From: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The Mighty Müsnud
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 720

posted      Profile for The Mighty Müsnud   Author's Homepage   Email The Mighty Müsnud   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Dwalin?
From: Wichita, KS, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

posted      Profile for Peregrin Took   Email Peregrin Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
there are only 13 dwarves right? so if we each name a different one then someone is bound to right eventually...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

From: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Bifur!
From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Bofur!
From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor theWhiteLady
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1409

posted      Profile for theWhiteLady   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
LOL! It was Bifur so your up L-dorian.

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: theWhiteLady ]

From: Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Right.

This is more of a 'where' question than a 'who', since a name is not given, but it's by far the most interesting thing I can come up with.

Where are the police mentioned?

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celeborn of Lothlórien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1208

posted      Profile for Celeborn of Lothlórien   Author's Homepage   Email Celeborn of Lothlórien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
is that a question..or is that a quote?
From: Downingtown,Pa | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

i agree. this is a who said that thread, not a where does this happen thread.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

To all intents and purposes, they are the same.

I have given something which appears in the speech in the book, and the challenge is to find the place where it occurs. That upon finding it one will give the point in the book rather than the person who says it, because they are not named, is of little or no consequence to the way in which the game is played. If it will make you any happier, just say who it might have been, given the situation.

The puzzle remains.

---

Celborn, it phrased as a question, but it tells you what the relevant quote is talking about.

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: The Laurenendôrian ]

Celeborn of Lothlórien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1208

posted      Profile for Celeborn of Lothlórien   Author's Homepage   Email Celeborn of Lothlórien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thag u bery buch!-bilbo at Eriador(lake town)(sp?)! It was just a little confusing..thanx for clearing that up!
From: Downingtown,Pa | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

AT Bagend when Bilbo returns?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

don't i even get a cookie for trying?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

Nope.

You'll have to get a good bit closer than that if you want your cookie.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 720

posted      Profile for The Mighty Müsnud   Author's Homepage   Email The Mighty Müsnud   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I believe that when Smaug attacked Lake-town it said that the water shown like copper. I know it's a stretch, but it works, right?

From: Wichita, KS, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

Brilliant, but the speech I was talking about is a little less cryptic.

You can have a cookie for originality, though.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

I want a Cookie!!!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 720

Here you go, Peregrin, you can have mine.

I'm just wondering what the answer might be. . .

Would an AtterCOP be some sort of reference to a policeman or am I pulling on the wrong strings with this "cop" thing?

[]

The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

You're barking up the wrong tree, I'm afraid.

The reference is far more obvious.

---

Hint:
Near the beginning.

Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, how about our troll friends?

"Blimey, Bert, look what I've copped!" said William.

And then there is the Captain of the Guard at Laketown and the Chief of the Guards in the Elven Kingdom.

[ 01-30-2002, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Marcho Blackwood ]

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

[]

This question isn't as hard as you people seem to think. The quote actually includes the word 'policemen', used in a very normal sense.

Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I, for one, am stumped. I've looked pretty hard for this reference, too
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it isn't in the text of the book, at least the version I have. Perhaps it is in one of the versions of the introduction and is quoting JRR Tolkien himself.

Of course, perhaps we should verify that the question is being asked on the correct board. Tolkien uses the word Policemen in his introduction to Lord of the Rings, but since this is The Hobbit, I'm sure that TL wouldn't make that mistake! []

[ 01-30-2002, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Marcho Blackwood ]

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

Well blow me down.

Apologies to everyone who has tried to get the answer to this.

My version of The Hobbit (second edition) has the following passage, in the second chapter when they have just seen the fire:
quote:
Others said: "These pare are none too well known, and are too near the mountains. Policemen never come so far, and the map-makers have not reached this country yet. They have seldom even heard of the king round here, and the less inquisitive you are as you go along, the less trouble you are likely to find."
By contrast, the online version I have access to has:
quote:
Others said: "These parts are none too well known, and are too near the mountains. Travellers seldom come this way now. The old maps are no use: things have changed for the worse and the road is unguarded. They have seldom even heard of the king round here, and the less inquisitive you are as you go along, the less trouble you are likely to find."
So it seems that the fault is mine for setting what would be an impossible question to anyone using a later version of the book. Congratulations to everyone who had a shot at it anyway, and I suggest that one of you has the next turn.
---

On a side note, who is 'the king'?

Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If he DID, I'm going to chop him down for firewood.
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Who said that... (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  68  69  70 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help