Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  68  69  70 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Who said that... (Page 2)
Author Topic: Who said that...
Roll of Honor Peregrin Took
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

posted      Profile for Peregrin Took   Email Peregrin Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
just a guess: um... Bilbo???

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Support cows named Bob, if you don't who will?
Save a Cow, eat a Chicken!

From: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, not Bilbo... hint: It's neither Sauron nor Donald Duck
From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there is only one place where there is a 'hillbilly' accent and that is the trolls, Tom, Bert or William.

I'll guess it was William. If this had been on LotR thread I would guess the Gaffer!

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorongil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 792

posted      Profile for Thorongil   Email Thorongil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously one of the trolls...when Gandalf was talking to them.......I think Bert.
From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I answered that it was not Beorn. And it wasn't Thorin, but that's good enough, it was, as was mentioned, all the dwarves together. Thorin is good enough, I suppose. Indeed, perhaps mine wasn't a fair question.

Anyway, we're on to a new one I see. Sorry I was so late.

From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

posted      Profile for Peregrin Took   Email Peregrin Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
then i will choose Tom.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

From: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Blackwood's right! Go on...
From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turambar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1168

posted      Profile for Turambar   Author's Homepage   Email Turambar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I stink at this!
Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

you may go now Marcho...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

What was that? I thought I saw a twinkle of light
Roll of Honor theWhiteLady
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1409

posted      Profile for theWhiteLady   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I will guess...Balin?
From: Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

nope

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

tace
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1578
posted      Profile for tace   Author's Homepage   Email tace   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
erm, i don't know who, but was it a dwarf in the orc mines?
From: australia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

yes but wrong place

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember the exact dwarf it was, but I know it was said in Mirkwood...

Out of curiosity I just went to look it up, and theWhiteLady was right...

quote:
At that very moment Balin, who was a little way ahead, called out: "What was that? I thought I saw a twinkle of light in the forest."

I assume that you left off the 'in the forest' part on purpose, so as to not give it totally away, but you should not do that. If your going to choose a quote, you must do the whole thing, not a fraction of a quote.

If you don't like how it gives something away, choose a different quote.

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: Gandalf the White ]

From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Derive that please, Gandalf.

I see nothing wrong with a part of a sentence as a quotation.

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I suppose you might take a portion of a quote, and that one was probably okay, but it still has to be reasonable.

Example: You cannot turn "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens" into "The road darkens"

I realize that that has not been done, but that is kind of what I meant. Though I still think it would be best to post the whole quote.

From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

omg, Twl is correct. everytime i read that i saw the name bilbo not Balin. I am soo sorry. what is wrong with me????

sorry for not posting the whole quote and leaving out an unimportant part of it Gandalf. I didnt think in the forest was necessary.

TWL is up...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You cannot turn "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens" into "The road darkens"

Why not?
Doesn't that just make the game a little more challenging, trying to figure out whether the phrase is in context or not?

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

I am sorry for making such a contraversy. but this should be used only for the riddles, correct?
not for argueing. if the rules are to be debated so thouroughly perhaps we should have a word aside.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

The outcome affects any who would post in the thread. Therefore, it seems sensible to conduct the debate here. I am sure that we shall soon be finished and the course of the thread diverted back to its more normal purpose.
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1409

It's all right Peregrin. We all make mistakes occasionally

Righto, here's a hard one (I think)
"And winter comes after autumn."

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: theWhiteLady ]

From: Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

It's one of the dwarves when they're sitting 'on the doorstep' looking for a way in, before Durin's day (which they seem to have forgotten about), but I cannot remember which one!
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

I will guess Balin...

Laurenendorian, I suppose I can see where your coming from. It doesn't really matter that much to me. We shall just let the game play itself out.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1409

I agree with GTW and nope it wasn't Balin but it was one of the dwarves
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Who said that... (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  68  69  70 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help