Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Hobbit Movie? (Page 1)
Author Topic: Hobbit Movie?
Happy Hobbit
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1200
posted      Profile for Happy Hobbit   Email Happy Hobbit   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
With a lot of Trilogy movies that due well (Star Wars, The Mummuy...) they end up making the prelude to the movies, do you think they might make the Hobbit one day?
From: NJ | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guinevere
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1141

posted      Profile for Guinevere   Author's Homepage   Email Guinevere   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully! Like I said in another thread I would love to see Bilbo young(er)!

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Guinevere ]

From: California, where else? | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gondeaf the Gray
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1080
posted      Profile for Gondeaf the Gray   Author's Homepage   Email Gondeaf the Gray   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The mummy was a trilogy? I thought there was just two. And what was the prequel? I don't understand.
From: twin cities, MN | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1041
posted      Profile for Star   Email Star   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
He may mean older mummy movies, there have been tons, and not the most recent one's. I'm not sure though, someone at work could give me the history of the horror genre if I'm brave enough to ask him.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
This is the end my friend,
My only friend the end...

From: Sammamish, WA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sean Astin seriously wants to direct The Hobbit and PJ might produce it if it ever happens....I dont think they could get the Sir Ians to reprise their roles though. Not unless the trilogy is really huge and they feel compelled to.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Hobbit
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1200
posted      Profile for Happy Hobbit   Email Happy Hobbit   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
They made the 2 Mummy movies and are in the process of making a prequel...sorry to confuse anyone...
From: NJ | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Hobbit
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1200
I got this off the Ian McKellen site...I hope there soon WILL be plans for the prequel!

26 November 2001

Q: I think that the Gandalf character is going to be a lasting one for you. If the movies are successful then you may find yourself asked to reprise the role repeatedly for fans. Is this something you are comfortable with?

A: I can't think that the Lord of the Rings trilogy needs a sequel but of course the prequel is already written as J.R.R. Tolkien's wonderful adventure story The Hobbit. This features Gandalf the Grey. As his wizard's beard, moustache, long hair and pointy hat are splendid disguises, perhaps if it were ever adapted for the cinema, I should give another actor the part of a lifetime. Or perhaps not. I should emphasise that, despite any rumour, there are no plans to film The Hobbit.

LadyEowynKenobi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 994
posted      Profile for LadyEowynKenobi   Email LadyEowynKenobi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
they said that if LOTR will do really well (anywhere near the neighborhood of what Star Wars does), they will do the Hobbit movie. i have a feeling that if FOTR will be a huge hit that everybody thinks it will be, they're gonna start writing the screenplay for The Hobbit immediately.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Nothing is the power of the Dark Lord more clearly shown than in the estrangement that divides all those who still oppose him." ~Haldir

Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Hobbit
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1200
I am just a little curious that if they do go through with making a Hobbit movie, how they will do the troll scene because in FOTR, the cave troll is very animal like I guess, but in the Hobbit, the troll talked and such, I wonder if they will just change the look of them?
LadyEowynKenobi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 994
posted      Profile for LadyEowynKenobi   Email LadyEowynKenobi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm, good point. but by the time that they get around to making the Hobbit film, the technology would have advanced to a higher level that they will be able to tackle scenes as complex as that.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Nothing is the power of the Dark Lord more clearly shown than in the estrangement that divides all those who still oppose him." ~Haldir

Happy Hobbit
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1200
If they do make The Hobbit movie, who do you think will, or would be good at playing Bilbo?
Nimruzir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 248

posted      Profile for Nimruzir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am just a little curious that if they do go through with making a Hobbit movie, how they will do the troll scene because in FOTR, the cave troll is very animal like I guess, but in the Hobbit, the troll talked and such, I wonder if they will just change the look of them?

They would create new ones I assume, since they are different creatures.

The Stone Trolls of The Hobbit are not specifically creatures 'tinkered' (i.e. bred with Men) with by Melkor or Sauron. They are essentially of the original stock of trolls.

The Trolls of Melkor and Sauron are corruptions of this Troll stock where they can apparently withstand the Sun. See Hurin's last stand at the Fens as one such example of the new Trolls.

Morgoth's Ring cites 2 relevant points (of those I'm addressing) one of which is an oft cited passage from Letters):

MR p. 409
"It seems clearly implied in The Lord of the Rings that Trolls existed in their own right, but were tinkered with by Melkor [3]"

"[3]In The Lord of the Rings Appendix F (I) it is said... [see specific cite] ... in the long letter [#153 to be exact] of September...
'But there are other sorts of Trolls beside these rather ridiculous, if brutal, Stone Trolls, for which other origins are suggested'..."

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"The prime motive [of LotR] was the desire of a tale-teller to try his hand at a really long story that would hold the attention of readers, amuse them, delight them, and at times maybe excite them or deeply move them. As a guide I had only my own feelings for what is appealing or moving, and for many the guide was inevitably often at fault."

J.R.R. Tolkien - Prologue to The Lord of the Rings.

From: Den of Iniquity | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyEowynKenobi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 994
quote:
If they do make The Hobbit movie, who do you think will, or would be good at playing Bilbo?

ooohh casting predictions, brings back fond memories...

well, first off the actor has got to be around Elijah's age in LOTR, which is about 20, age limit would most probably be about 25. next what would Bilbo look like? he's first got to establish that he's a frightened pip squeak hobbit who will turn out to be our brave little hero that the audience will rally behind in the end. now that's tough. you gotta find an actor that can actually get the audience to react that way and to have that hobbit look that Elijah pulled out so well. the thing with prequels is that there is already an older face that's established in the end, so that kinda limits the actors to be cast as the younger version. so yeah, an actor with brown hair (i assume Bilbo has brown hair) that resembles Ian Holm.

erk. that's a lot of requirements i just outlined up there. and i'm having a hard time thinking of another actor that fills even just half of that, an actor other than Elijah Wood of course.

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: LadyEowynKenobi ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Happy Hobbit
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1200
Maybe a new comer would be best, there's no one I can thinkof, but I think it would be really neat to see the Smaug scenes!
Iarwain
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 84
posted      Profile for Iarwain   Email Iarwain   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not to do with the Hobbit but just an interesting point about the prqual to The Mummy. It is in fact to center on the Scorpion King who was played by the Rock in the Mummy Returns. Sorry to interupt.
From: Pembrokeshire | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julin the Archer
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1325
posted      Profile for Julin the Archer   Author's Homepage   Email Julin the Archer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i really think they should make a hobbit movie because i did not much like the cartoon version and i wiould like to see it with real actors and see how they do the effects and all
From: Crowley | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyEowynKenobi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 994
one more thing, if they're gonna turn The Hobbit into a movie, i hope they get to keep the comedy aspects intact. that's one of the aspects i love so much.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Gondeaf the Gray
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1080
posted      Profile for Gondeaf the Gray   Author's Homepage   Email Gondeaf the Gray   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm late checking back on this thread. Thanks for clarifying the Mummy-prequel, I was a little confused.

A hobbit movie would be great, IMHO; as has already been said, if the LotR movies do well, I can't imagine why they wouldn't consider making the Hobbit

From: twin cities, MN | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The Mighty Müsnud
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 720

posted      Profile for The Mighty Müsnud   Author's Homepage   Email The Mighty Müsnud   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
well, first off the actor has got to be around Elijah's age in LOTR, which is about 20, age limit would most probably be about 25. next what would Bilbo look like? he's first got to establish that he's a frightened pip squeak hobbit who will turn out to be our brave little hero that the audience will rally behind in the end. now that's tough. you gotta find an actor that can actually get the audience to react that way and to have that hobbit look that Elijah pulled out so well. the thing with prequels is that there is already an older face that's established in the end, so that kinda limits the actors to be cast as the younger version. so yeah, an actor with brown hair (i assume Bilbo has brown hair) that resembles Ian Holm.

Hey! That sounds like me!

Where do I sign up?

From: Wichita, KS, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Hobbit
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1200
For those who have seen FOTR, you see a flashback to when Bilbo finds the ring, do you think that if they made a Hobbit movie they would just get a new actor even though we saw a flashback to Bilbo?
Archer Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 804
posted      Profile for Archer Baggins   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think they would need to use the same person as the flashback.
From: Oyster Bay, NY, U S A | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyEowynKenobi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 994
forget what i said about the actor being 20-25, just get an actor at least 35 (not less) and resembles Ian Holm (if they can't get Ian Holm himself). i forgot that Bilbo was supposed to have been almost 51 when he found the ring.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

runes
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1108
posted      Profile for runes   Email runes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
definately should make a hobbit movie. The whole shire part was my favourite part in the LoTR movie. Imagine a whole movie of that fairtytale, childish wonder....
Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill the Pony
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1482
posted      Profile for Bill the Pony   Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a little trivia (yea I know this isn't the trivia post) Ian Holm did the voice of Frodo in LotR radio broadcast by the BBC during the early eighties.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Go with words of guard and guiding on you. You are a wise beast, and have learned much in Rivendell. Make your ways to places where you can find grass, and so come in time to Elrond's house, or wherever you wish to go."

From: Barn in Rivendell | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
do you think they might make the Hobbit one day?
Yes. Sadly, PJ got ahold of it.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Hobbit Movie? (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help