Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Favorite scene in the Hobbit (Page 3)
Author Topic: Favorite scene in the Hobbit
Meril-i-Turinqui
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1129
posted      Profile for Meril-i-Turinqui   Author's Homepage   Email Meril-i-Turinqui   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Let me see, so many decisions.
The entire book was just amazing, but the scene I liked the most was the unexpected visit by all the dwarves and Gandalf and poor old Bilbo trying to be a good sport
oh yeah.... and the riddling game of course.

From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hidalgo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1083
posted      Profile for Hidalgo   Edit/Delete Post 
The riddles in the dak is my favourite.
"It cannot be seen, cannot be felt,
cannnot be heard, cannot be smelt..."
But the whole book is great.

From: Madrid - Spain | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyEowynKenobi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 994
posted      Profile for LadyEowynKenobi   Email LadyEowynKenobi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
there were a lot of funny momments in this book. the first chapter alone was hilarious. when the dwarves started popping up on Bilbo's doorstep requesting him for food and drinks once they are seated, after which more dwarves came, one after the other, so Bilbo had to rush from the pantry to the dining room to the front door and back. Bilbos was one harried hobbit! also when it was time to clean up the plates, with Bilbo squeaking with fright "Please be careful!" and the dwarves mocking him with their song.

then there are the hilarious repartee between characters some of which are below:

William the Troll: Blimey, Bert, look what I have copped!
Trolls: What is it?
William: Lumme, if I knows! What are yer?
Bilbo: Bilbo Baggins, a bur--a hobbit
Trolls: A burrahobbit?
-----------

Bilbo: I'm dreadfully hungry.
Gandalf: Can't help it, unless you'd like to go back and ask the goblins nicely to let you have your pony back and your luggage.
Bilbo: No thank you.
-----------

Nori: You left the burglar behind again!
Dori: I can't be always carrying burglars on my back, down tunnels and up trees! What do you think I am? A porter?
-----------------

Eagle: Don't pinch!You need not be frightened like a rabbit, even if you look rather like one. It is a fair morning with a little wind. What is finer than flying?
Bilbo: A warm bath and a late breakfast on the lawn afterwards.

there's more, i just can't find them all now. but The Hobbit is one funny book! i love it!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Nothing is the power of the Dark Lord more clearly shown than in the estrangement that divides all those who still oppose him." ~Haldir

Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galion The Tipsy Butler
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1152

posted      Profile for Galion The Tipsy Butler   Email Galion The Tipsy Butler   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There's so much to choose from. One of my favorite scenes is the trolls arguing and scuffling. Burrahobbits...talking purses...fists and flaming branches in your face. Bill, Bert, and Tom? More like Moe, Larry, and Curly.

Woob woob woob woob woob woob woob nyuck nyuck nyuck!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"There's been talk of some strange folk about. Can't be too careful."

Urp!

From: The Castle ...Aaaaaarrrrrg! | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. This thread has my very first post here, the day I joined MT. And it's still my favorite scene out of all of the Professor's writings. []
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beorming
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4456
posted      Profile for Beorming   Email Beorming   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Heh..Mind if I copy you Thalion? That scene you mentioned is brilliant...I get that feeling now and again. Although I'm not about to take a sword up Snowdon. The Battle of the Five Armies is probably my favourite- perhaps because it doesn't get described in too much detail, leaving me free to invent my own battle. The Eagles are coming! Brilliant.

Quite a few runners up though- being taken up to the Eyrie, Beorn, and those comedy trolls....all good stuff.

From: halfway up Perrot's Folly | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aranel Charis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2061

posted      Profile for Aranel Charis   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Quite an impressive first post, Thalion []

I don't know if I can pick a favorite scene so easily []

From: Leeds | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favourite scenes in The Hobbit (certainly the first that comes to my mind) is the one where Bilbo first talks to Smaug and manages (briefly) to trick him and run away from him. I like the way in which he plays with his words and catches Smaug off his guard - not for long, but just for long enough!
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Gondor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5254

posted      Profile for Captain of Gondor   Author's Homepage   Email Captain of Gondor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have three scenes I like most of the hobbit(forgive me but I am a captain). The death of Smaug is my top favorite one. The way how Bard stands his ground when all his comrades were dead or running like rabbits is truely amazing. Then, the way how he uses his Black Arrow to kill Smaug. Does he ever get it back?
Then, # 2 is the Rescue of the company by Gandalf in those mines. A #10 in my book. I especially like the way that he kills the Great Goblin and gets the dwarves and hobbit out in barely enough time for them to notice what is going on.
Then, #3, is when Bilbo tries to use the Arkenstone to get them out of bieng massacred by the Armies besieging them. I think that that was a very good scene.

From: Ririe, Idaho | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I lessthanthree hobbits
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5266
posted      Profile for I lessthanthree hobbits   Author's Homepage   Email I lessthanthree hobbits   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the scene where Bilbo rescues all of the Dwarfs from the spiders using Sting. It seems to be the turning point from shy carry-on to bold adventurer. (I'm sure that there are other points where you could debate that this happens, but I like this part)

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Forget the caffe latte, screw the raspberry iced tea
A malibu and coke for you, a G and T for me
Alcohol, your songs resolve like
My life never will
When someone else is picking up the bill
~Barenaked Ladies

From: MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viscount Værtalion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3122

posted      Profile for Viscount Værtalion   Author's Homepage   Email Viscount Værtalion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i personally like the battle of the five armies, and of course when bilbo and the dwarves found the treasure!
From: Serapion | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éowyn
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5311
posted      Profile for Éowyn   Email Éowyn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite szene in the Hobbit is definitely the first Szene, where Gandalf comes up to Bilbo the first time and they argue about >Good morning!<. I really love it, every time I read it, it makes me laugh. []
From: Austria | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I just got my History of the Hobbit in the mail, after several weeks unexplained delay. I was quite delighted to discover that the oldest scrap of paper in existence concerning The Hobbit begins with my all-time favorite Tolkien scene, which I mentioned in my very first post on MT. []
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nieninquë
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 6466
posted      Profile for Nieninquë   Email Nieninquë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's just got to be when Bilbo meets Gandalf for the first time.And the unexpected party.
Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zirith
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11256

posted      Profile for Zirith   Email Zirith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] [] Personally, the scene with the wargs. I mean, imagine wolves with their coats on fire running about and igniting others too ! []
From: In the Ruins of the Palace of Aurilosse | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Hand
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11334
posted      Profile for The White Hand   Email The White Hand   Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite scene would definitely be the dragon getting killed and falling on the town. I don't see how one dragon could destroy a whole town by landing on it, however, rather than setting it on fire. If he just landed on it then he'd at worst fall though the planking and SPLASH!
From: Memphis | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The Mighty Müsnud
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 720

posted      Profile for The Mighty Müsnud   Author's Homepage   Email The Mighty Müsnud   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It used to be the Riddle Game when I was younger. But these days I'd say that the dialogue between Bilbo and Smaug is absolutely brilliant and probably my favorite scene.
From: Wichita, KS, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Favorite scene in the Hobbit (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help