Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Favorite scene in the Hobbit (Page 1)
Author Topic: Favorite scene in the Hobbit
Tinelwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 261

posted      Profile for Tinelwen   Email Tinelwen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
OK...so what is it?

Since I'm suffering from insomnia and am extremely bored, I'll get this show on the road. My favorite part is the game of riddles between Bilbo and Gollum.
'What has it gots in itssss pocketssesss my precioussss?'

------------------
"We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe." -Goethe

This message has been edited by Tinelwen on 04-16-2001 at

From: neither here nor there | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you: the riddling game!

This message has been edited by Earendilyon on 04-16-2001 at

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How could anyone pick anything else? I will always remember those riddles :
"This thing all things devours,
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers......"

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aragorn186
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 428

posted      Profile for Aragorn186   Author's Homepage   Email Aragorn186   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, the best part of the Hobbit is when Gandalf appeared out of nowhere in the Goblin cave and slew the Goblin king with Glamdring. #2 is the Battle of 5 Armies
From: GA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Galadriel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 412
posted      Profile for Lady Galadriel   Email Lady Galadriel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My fav sene would definitely have to be the one where Bilbo is speaking with Smaug... I just love that!

------------------
I know I've got some magic
buried, buried deep in my heart

From: Belgrade, Yugoslavia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caranthir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 28
posted      Profile for Caranthir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like the unexpected party at the beginning...
Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i like at the forest glade with the wargs when Gandalf set wargs on fire
From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor willhap
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 300
posted      Profile for willhap   Email willhap   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have to go with Battle of 5 Armies. Also though, is when Thorin was dying and told Bilbo he wanted to depart as friends. Very sad.
From: Jackson, MS | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
oh ya! i had almost forgotten, i also LOVE Beorn and how he took the warg and goblin heads and put them on poles in the front yard
From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Eowyn of Ithilien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 207

posted      Profile for Lady Eowyn of Ithilien   Email Lady Eowyn of Ithilien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite scene is when Gandalf outwits the trolls. It cracks me up everytime!
From: VA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Smaug's rampage. I can just picture being inside the mountain side and the entire mountain shaking as Smaug bashes into it. The entire country side in flames. Fire spewing from his mouth as he punishes everything in sight because his horde had been desecrated.

I thought for sure Earandilyon would have picked something to do with the DRAGON.

This message has been edited by Tuor on 04-16-2001 at

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, Tuor. That scene is also great! Further, the destruction of Dale, the Battle of the 5 Armies etc. I just could choose one 'One thing drives out another, so to speak.'

The age of the riddle game atracts me though: very serious business, with a long history, and rules no-one dares to break.

This message has been edited by Earendilyon on 04-17-2001 at

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gram
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 24

posted      Profile for gram   Email gram   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The 'burrahobbit' scene. Always good for a laugh.
From: New Zealand | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roland
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 218

posted      Profile for Roland   Author's Homepage   Email Roland   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The very first scene stands out to me most of all. When Gandalf walks up the road to Bag End, and he and Bilbo exchange greetings like "Good day"

------------------
War doesn't decide who is right, only who is left

From: The greatest nation on God's green Earth | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I can't stand this!

Of course, all of these scenes are brilliant. The whole book is brilliant. I don't know which is the best bit, but the riddle game is the mostt memorable.

------------------
Summaries for quick reference:
LotR:Frodo ring go big fire mountain, Sauron Nazgul all die.
Hobbit: There and back again
Silmarillion: Ea!
Adventures of Tom Bombadil: Silly bloke dance about look dumb sing badly
UT: miscellaneous irrelevant crap nobody cares about
HoME: "

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aragorn Wingfoot
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 475

posted      Profile for Aragorn Wingfoot   Email Aragorn Wingfoot   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i LOVE the spider scene

------------------
God made grass,God made dirt,God made girls so I could flirt.

From: That place just north of the South | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How to decide! I re-read the riddles last night, so I think that is my fave....And Bilbo with Smaug....And when he gets back and they are selling his stuff

------------------
~Beth
Fool of a Took

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orome
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 108
posted      Profile for Orome   Author's Homepage   Email Orome   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The part where bard is praying that his black arrow will not fail him.

Its great

my next fav part would be bilbo takin it to those overgrown spiders

------------------
Orome
And Justice For All!!!
(all those who deserve it anyway)

From: Somewhere east of the brandywine | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinelwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 261

posted      Profile for Tinelwen   Email Tinelwen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh yes....the spiders. I love that part too.

------------------
"We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe." -Goethe

From: neither here nor there | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vens Arna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 377

posted      Profile for Vens Arna   Author's Homepage   Email Vens Arna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So many to choose from....let me see....I'll go with the scene from 'Out of the Frying-Pan Into the Fire' where the troop is caught in the trees by the Wargs

------------------
Frodo Lives!

From: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sentarius
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 525
posted      Profile for Sentarius   Email Sentarius   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
By no means my favorite or the best, but one fun scene is when the company comes to Laketown and everyone is running around whooping and the Master is being REALLY negative.
From: USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aragorn_croatia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 492
posted      Profile for Aragorn_croatia   Email Aragorn_croatia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
When 12 dvarves came into Bilbo's house;Bilbo's conversation with Smaug;the Battle of Five Armies=my favorites

------------------
Namarie!Nai hiruvalye Valimar.Nai elye hiruva.Namarie!

From: Atlanta, GA / South Kent, CT | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bungo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 278

posted      Profile for Bungo   Email Bungo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I personally love the way JRR follows up the big scenes with what comes right after, (the Scouring of the Shire being some of the most fascinating pages I've ever read.)

As a result, my favorite scene comes right after Gollum fails to guess what Bilbo has in his 'pocketses'. Things happen so fast and so suspensefully, leading up to Bilbo's high point of courage in leaping over Gollum's head into the tunnel. I'm totally in that scene when I read it.

Likewise, my other big favorite scene is after the death of Smaug, when they are beginning to explore the darkness of the inside of the mountain, and the dwarves are watching Bilbo's light bouncing around the gold and jewels in the room. I'm so captivated and transported into that picture.

------------------
Eldameldor! A laita, laita te!

From: Kowloon, Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mellon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 402
posted      Profile for Mellon   Email Mellon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
well, bless usss and splasssh us, its gots to be when that thief Bagginses trickss uss.
We hates it forever!

------------------
'Speak, friend, and enter'

From: houston, tx usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruby Gamgee
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 459
posted      Profile for Ruby Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like the part when Gollom and Bilbo did the riddes (though I couldn't get any of them but the "what do I have in my pocket?")
Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Favorite scene in the Hobbit (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help