profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » The Mountain-path
Author Topic: The Mountain-path
gram
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 24

posted      Profile for gram   Email gram   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone notice that the illustration called "
The Mountain-path" in The Hobbit was used as the cover illustration for the dust jacket on the first American edition of The Silmarillion?

------------------
"She is of the Tuatha De Danaans who are unfading...and I am of the sons of Mil, who are perishable and fade away".
Caeilte

From: New Zealand | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amandil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 8

posted      Profile for amandil   Email amandil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, absolutely- and I used to stare at that photo and try to imagine what the hell it meant in the context of The Silmarillion. I tried to see figures on the path, and thought that the mountain on the left looked open in places, like a tropical hut on stilts.

I wish they just used an illustration of Tolkien's from the actual Silmarillion, or contracted a professional artist to paint a pic for the cover.

I mean- they knew the book was going to sell at least a few hundred thousand copies- spring a few grand for a nice, appropriate cover!

I think Nasmith's "Fall of Gondolin" makes the best cover:

From: ny, usa | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luthien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 17
posted      Profile for Luthien   Email Luthien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I agree ... having the original American cover of the path on our dust jacket on the hard back and a Darrell K. Sweet art from the 1982 calendar by J.R.R. Tolkien on our soft cover of The Silmarillion.
From: Wanderer of Middle Earth | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caranthir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 28
posted      Profile for Caranthir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have the "Fall of Gondolin" cover, and I think it fits fairly well.

------------------
I don't get it either.

Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gram
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 24

posted      Profile for gram   Email gram   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes amandil, I used to look at that and try to associate it with something in the book. Like maybe a path into the Ered Gorgoroth or some such thing. For some reason it never registered as that Tolkien illustration from The Hobbit until a few years ago. So much for astute observation.

------------------
"She is of the Tuatha De Danaans who are unfading...and I am of the sons of Mil, who are perishable and fade away".
Caeilte

From: New Zealand | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"nyone notice that the illustration called "
The Mountain-path" in The Hobbit was used as the cover illustration for the dust jacket on the first American edition of The Silmarillion?"

Yes, I always wondered about that. My old 70's paperback edition of The Two Towers cover art is Taur-nu-Fuin in Dorthonion, which had no connection with the middle book of the trilogy.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
Well Treebeard mentioned Dorthonion anyway.

So why not have a picture at the point when Beleg found Gwindor []

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It works.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » The Mountain-path
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help