profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Nine vs Seven
Author Topic: Nine vs Seven
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've just been wondering:
the Nine Rings gave their bearers a long life and finally changed them into invisible wraiths. Why didn't the same thing happen to the Dwarf lords? I know they were not so easy to corrupt, but it wasn't impossible. There was a lot of time - well, centuries.
Anyone has any ideas?

From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Dwarves were created by Aule to resist domination by Melkor, at least that's what is in the Silmarillion.

Although they could not be dominated, their desire for gold could lead them to evil acts.

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see Dwarves fading somehow, just doesn't sound like them. Maybe they turned into gold themselves, a gold statue, but still technically alive, like in a Sci-fi drama I once saw.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Dwarves indeed proved tough and hard to tame: they ill endure the domination of others, and the thoughts of their hearts are hard to fathom, nor can they be turned to shadows. They used their rings only for the getting of wealth; but wrath and an over mastering greed of gold were kindled in their hearts, of which evil enough after came to the profit of Sauron.
-The Silmarillion – Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age
From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks []
From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Nine vs Seven
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help