Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Sil read-alongs of Yore and Fore (Page 8)
Author Topic: Sil read-alongs of Yore and Fore
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't think he was sure which of the dozens of versions of the legends that his father had was the correct one!
Well I think his father wasn't sure which version was going to be the correct one!

Chris did a decent job of working out the relative age of the different versions - perhaps he should have left Silmarillion for a little bit longer while he found even more evidence for what was the latest version in every case, but mostly he did a good job of it.

But we have no way of knowing whether Tolkien himself would have kept the lastest version of every story, or whether he would have preferred to go back to an earlier version in some cases.

He did delegate the task of finishing the Sil to Chris, though. So he trusted that Chris would end up with something that was close enough to his own wishes for it to work.

So if we find it doesn't always work, it needn't be Chris' fault only.

Edit:
quote:
I think there certainly is continuinity and links between the chapters however. Although one at first read could be forgiven for missing them. If I might be so bold to ask DQ, were is the continuity which is confusing you?
... or discontinuity ...

I'd be quite interested in some examples as well, DQ.
I guess my own examples would be some of the personal histories that happen to people who may be related, but aren't otherwise much connected.

[ 01-15-2012, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: Varnafindë ]

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Varna, I think it most likely IS something that would have been fixed had Tolkien finished it. As you say, perfectionist. I think he'd have tried to fix the coherency.

I can't say I agree on the whole, Hamfast. The links and continuity are fragile at best and generally IMO. I also find it suffers from Tolkien's endless problems with character development. It's a tribute to his plots that I read them despite my issues with his style. []

I wouldn't call it so much confusing as annoying, and most of it falls into that category really. People appear for half a page, vanish, turn up in 6 chapters somewhere you'd no idea they'd ever been and having no idea that they might have been important. I spend half my time flicking back to the index trying to work out who the heck some elf who just reappeared was only to find they were mentioned in passing on page 56 or something. It probably is Chris' fault not JRR's but it still makes it a pain to keep track of.

quote:
I guess my own examples would be some of the personal histories that happen to people who may be related, but aren't otherwise much connected.
Yeees, that happens far too much. I like a bit of information on who I'm reading about. As far as I recall, even fairly major characters aren't fleshed out past a quick list of relatives over half the time. I can't decide if he wasn't interested in the personal histories of characters or if he'd just never got around to it. Probably the former actually.

Don't get me started on cramming a battle into one chapter even though it lasted about 200 years then spending the next 5 putting back in bits that really should have been mentioned because they're during the battle... [] Only laziness has stopped me from giving in and creating a timeline. []

As for that map! Why draw a map that doesn't show everywhere? WHY? Let's just draw the British Isles and leave off Yorkshire or something... []

That said it IS nice to get a bit of the history, but it shouldn't be so awfully unreadable IMO. I think I'll read some myths for a bit of light relief once I'm done. []

[ 01-15-2012, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't decide if he wasn't interested in the personal histories of characters or if he'd just never got around to it. Probably the former actually.
Perhaps it sometimes shows that what he was primarily interested in, was THEIR LANGUAGE. He made up languages, and then invented people to have spoken those languages. He recorded the normal linguistical changes in languages over time, and then invented history to have caused those changes.

Quenya is so different from Sindarin because the Quenya speakers went to Valinor while the Sindarin speakers stayed in Middle-earth. The Quenya speakers went to Valinor and the Sindarin speakers stayed in Middle-earth because ... and then you get the whole plot of Finwë and Olwë following the call of the Valar, while Elwë was staring at Melian for years, and thus got left behind.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, and while he was a linguist IMO if he was going to make a mythology for his languages he should have made it a bit more consistent. []
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Perhaps he was better at making his languages consistent ...
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I wouldn't know, I don't speak them. [] I may have a major continuity issue but I'll sit on it until I finish TS incase it's explained in these last few chapters. If not... []
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wouldn't call it so much confusing as annoying, and most of it falls into that category really. People appear for half a page, vanish, turn up in 6 chapters somewhere you'd no idea they'd ever been and having no idea that they might have been important.
But don't things work like that in real life ? []
From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I must say that I don't see any major continuinty errors in the Silm. Yes, the emphasis does change, the major charactors become a bit lower down in the scheme of things, and I suppose that Mr. Ominiscipant Narrator can contradict himself, but I do think that most things become resolved. There is one slight issue I do have with Mr. Ominisicpant Narrator that I have mentioned before here, but I won't again until people have finished! Maybe you could say what the problem you are having with the plotline precisely is?
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The Woodwose
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3503

posted      Profile for The Woodwose   Email The Woodwose   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think it makes it easier if you read it almost as a collection of short stories that almost make a complete story... rather than a completed book.
From: I'm a wose darn it! I live in the WOODS!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It reminds me in that respect of the Iliad, where Homer talks about one guy in the battle for half a page, gives us his life story, tells us he is valiant and "well-greaved"* and then NEVER MENTIONS HIM AGAIN. []

It is like WAT. [] []

*means that he has nice socks on, or something like that. []

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Inc': Maybe, but one reads fantasy to escape real life, surely? []

Hamfast: Fairly sure I answered you before. It's nothing in particular about the main plotline, it's a general disjointedness.

Woodwose: In some ways, but that would make characters who only turn up for half a page even more frustrating! []

Athene: [] Sounds very Sil'ish. I'll be sure to prepare myself for frustration before reading the Iliad.

quote:
*means that he has nice socks on, or something like that. []
Always important in a warrior, I think. []

Brief post as I'm meant to be working so I don't have to on my birthday. [] (Flexible working hours FTW!)

Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am reading this basket of delights, but not (I'm sorry) according to DQ's timetable; mostly because I was working hard and didn't manage to keep up at all.

However, I did come across this recently, and I think it sums up my problem as well as hers:

quote:
JRR Tolkien was passed over for the 1961 Nobel literature prize after the storytelling in his Lord of the Rings trilogy was described as second rate.

Newly-released documents - declassified after 50 years - show that he was nominated by fellow author CS Lewis.

The Nobel prize jury said "the result has not in any way measured up to storytelling of the highest quality".

And the Sil imo is even worse on that score.

Bite me! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Queen of Grammar with King Marcho.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

[] [] []

[ 01-21-2012, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Have you read about Beren yet? When I first read the book this chapter was the first one in which I couldn't put the book away. []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Beren and Lúthien need a good slap. Them, Túrin and that chapter about where the various Elves settled were real low points IMO. [] I know, I know, everyone but me likes B&L. []

That said (I believe I said earlier in this thread), on the whole I like Tolkien's world and the history of it (or I wouldn't be here [] ), I just have issues with his style (or lack thereof). []

Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
B&L is far from my favourite chapter now, after my many re-reads. I prefer happenings to secondary characters. [] Orodreth, Barahir, Huor etc. []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I personally think that when it comes to tragedy, Unnumbered Tears knocks spots of Hamlet! In my eyes it is such an awesome chapter. So much happens in it to everyone. Much of it is so unexpectedly moving. The last stand of the men of Barahir for example. One just doesn't really expect when you first start to read it that it will have such a result, especially if you have read some of Tolkien's other works. It's so sad. Even if it has a slight twist at the end, I don't know if anyone spotted it!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I don't even remember Unnumbered Tears now, so I guess it didn't make much of an impact on me (it keeps being referred to so I think I must have read it). []

Not much to say about the latest scheduled chapter except that it's nice and short.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So why did nobody tell me that once one reaches the Sil proper, it gets better? Why? Why?

Was it a vile conspiracy to make sure I never read it, eh?

And Hamfast, did you read the kiddie version of Hamlet that you think it is not great tragedy? But I was forgetting, you couldn't read Harry Potter could you? []

[ 02-03-2012, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Sauron's Secret Agent ]

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

I think one or two of us might have hinted in the improvement!
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Sorry about that, SSA. I was just too busy whining about the awful English. []
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

No, you didn't Hamfast - and anyway I'm far too busy IRL to sit here decoding vague hints. Read HP and the Chamber of Secrets yet?

I will let you off DQ [] The "story" improves dramatically, but for a Professor of English, his writing style is truly appalling. No wonder the Nobel Committee turned him down.

I just don't understand it; he obviously had imagination, but he just can't write. And yes, before you point it out, much of his mythology is nicked from other sources, but he did give it a new edge. His greatest achievements imo are the hobbits, and his improved slant on elves. Though I am also very fond of the pukel-men and the ents.

Anyway, onwards and sideways...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Queen of Grammar with King Marcho.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Or even backwards, as one works towards the back cover...

What is it with you and pukel-men? []

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I think the relief of finishing the main section went to my head! [] I'll try to get finished this week.
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

So, did you ever finish the tale? Hey, and don't knock Pukel-men! A hard thing to do, anyway!

[ 12-10-2015, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Sil read-alongs of Yore and Fore (Page 8)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help