Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Sil read-alongs of Yore and Fore (Page 7)
Author Topic: Sil read-alongs of Yore and Fore
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Unless I missed it, Miriel's not appeared again yet.
No, sorry, that's just background material which I mentioned just because it only happened outside of Silmarillion. It's HoME material, and perhaps it's only confusing to draw upon it for the present discussion. []

I'll try to stick to the Silmarillion itself, not to add further confusion.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Background info from elsewhere's fine. [] Maybe you could indicate for those of us who don't know TS when you reference other places?

But on a separate note, I did find that about Miriel confusing. []

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Bump!

I liked the description of Thingy's house and finding out, finally, what the Girdle of Melian was. []

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as you know, Thingol needs a girdle. Nice to see you are still reading. Hope you are enjoying the book.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I can't say I am...
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Updated schedule, though I don't think anyone's actually using it.
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, how is everyone getting along?
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I'm behind by a week. I find it doesn't make we want to pick it back up...
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I finished it a couple of weeks ago. Actually really enjoyed it by the end; I felt the early staging are too pompous and "Look at me, I'm writing an epic!" but once the basic mythology is past it settles down in style.

Love the Children of Húrin, as always, and really revelled in the desription of Sauron and how he was both wicked and weak.

And Fëanor is still an utter, unmitigated arse. []

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nirnaeth Arnoediad []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Love the Children of Húrin [...] And Fëanor is still an utter, unmitigated arse.
Hear hear [] []

Sad that Ammii is not around right now []

quote:
Nirnaeth Arnoediad []
Oh yeah. I even wrote a piece of music for the piano called that way when I was 16. []
From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I may have said that partly in the hopes of luring her in... [] and partly because it is so patently true.

[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I'll stick up for Fëanor! Yeah, he IS a bit of an ass, but I think he was a victim too in some ways. []
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

I don't know what chapter everyone is on, but everyone must have gone by this passage, which in another place someone has mentioned

In the deep places he gives thought to music great and terrible; and the echo of that music runs through all the veins of the world in sorrow and in joy; for if joyful is the fountain that rises from the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomed at the foundations of the Earth

It's about Ulmo and water. I think it is passages like this that sets the Silm above many other books!

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

See, things like that make me think "stop trying to hard to sound mythical and make it readable". That part isn't the worst though, it isn't TOO far from being poetic. But that chapter about the lands of Beleriand was just awful and a lot of his 'poetic/mythic/fantastical' moments are just [] IMO. [] It's things like that that made me take a break from ASOIAF. (I like the story, but the style is a bit...) Some books just try TOO hard... They have to be gripping to make me read through the over-writing. Unless it's a RAL.

[ 12-04-2011, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Mea culpa - I lapsed again....
Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Aiyee!
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really sorry, but I have been busy. I will try and get with the programme (if you will excuse the expression DQ [] )
Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
DQ - but isn't JRRT an author who is supposed to be mythical/fantastical/epic/and so on []
I mean, if you don't like that about him, what is exactly that makes you read him ? []

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

[] Inc'. I like the mythical, fantastical and epic. I don't really like the epically boring. I like his stories, I'm suffering TS because I want to know the history of ME, but I do find the way he writes a bit of a trial. I find it very dry, which isn't (as far as I know) a necessity for myth/fantasy/epic.

Merry Christmas, Sil'ers!

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Someone said (here, perhaps [] ) that Tolkien was better at world-building than at story-telling. I think that's true (and that with his friend C.S. Lewis it was the opposite).
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Wherever it was said, it's true. []

[ 12-27-2011, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I think I've had an epiphany about TS - it's incoherent and lacks continuity. Please don't say "it's a mythology!", most mythologies manage to have more than a passing relation between stories. Aiyee, it's frustrating. []
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Do you think it's something that Tolkien might have remedied if he had lived a couple of decades longer and finished it himself?

Or was he too much tied up in the individual stories to be able to smooth them out to a coherent story?

(I'm not sure even another two decades would have been enough for him to finish everything to his own satisfaction. He was too much of a perfectionist.)

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

I personally blame that young whippersnapper Chris, do you know, I don't think he was sure which of the dozens of versions of the legends that his father had was the correct one! I think there certainly is continuinity and links between the chapters however. Although one at first read could be forgiven for missing them. If I might be so bold to ask DQ, were is the continuity which is confusing you?
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Sil read-alongs of Yore and Fore (Page 7)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help