Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Sil read-alongs of Yore and Fore (Page 6)
Author Topic: Sil read-alongs of Yore and Fore
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My book contains a detailed map, which I used alot. In addition, there's a rough map of the Elven kingdoms. Personally, I did not use it, mostly because it was in the book somewhere and hence sluggish to find.

E: Muffin? This seems to be a win-win. []

[ 09-21-2011, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Artaresto ]

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps any Muffins should be aimed at me! But don't go for the head. You'll probably miss my brain by about 30feet. On the subject of maps, it did take a long time to get it into my head that the action areas all happened in land that was flooded. As the only land that was in the Silm maps and the lotr maps was one small part called the blue mountains, I had difficulty in thinking of all the action in the Silm happening in that little part of the country. Though funny thing about maps particularly the Fantasy variety is that sometimes I don't think they can accurately portray a 3D land.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Mine also contains maps, I like maps.

You're not meant to ENJOY being pelted with muffins, guys. []

[ 09-23-2011, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, I am still reading, just not having a lot of time to post at the moment.

The little muscle under my eye is twitching at the number of different names, and I have a much scribbled-on diagram ongoing to help me keep track of who is whom, but other than that it's not too bad.

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, just keep on going! I think if you get to the end, you will have a rough idea of who is who at least the major ones as they do get reinforced quite a bit.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've been doing that too, Athene.

Sorry for the lack of thread updates of late. I'm assuming everyone's now on Of Fëanor and the Unchaining of Melkor (or further if they've read ahead), yes? I may be wrong, I've been a bit busy and it's addling my brain. []

Hamfast, by the time I get to the end (if I get there) I hope to have more than a vague idea of who's who...

[ 09-29-2011, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aoife
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2368
posted      Profile for Aoife   Author's Homepage   Email Aoife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What do people think about Miriel? Should she be blamed? And how could Nienna be so foolish as to believe Melkor?
From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I would answer, but I'm behind by a couple of weeks. I'll catch up over the weekend. []
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

What would anyone blame Miriel for? I suppose Nienna's naive, or overly trusting. I wouldn't believe Melkor. []
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

And why not? He's a reformed character now, even Manwe says so! []
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Manwë is naive or overly trusting, then. []

Edit:
What you could blame both Miriel and Finwë for, was lack of patience.
And Finwë probably more than Miriel.

[ 10-09-2011, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: Varnafindë ]

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Because I read a lot and the bad guys never reform that easily. []

Manwe strikes me as a bit of an idiot... Miriel didn't exactly not have patience, she did the Elvish equivalent of dying in childbirth as far as I can make out.

Much as I like the elves, I think their and the valar were all prats for listening to Melkor. I don't think a few peoples' patience as much to do with it. []

Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Melkor is epic in the way he sows his seeds.
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

He seems to know all the right buttons to press. He'd certainly make a great political advisor nowadays! Not that he is perfect. Melkor does make mistakes. As will be seen later. Which I hope you will get to.
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Hamfast, if Melkor was a political advisor, I think I'd be leaving the solar system ASAP. []
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I admit it. [] I'm really enjoying it now.

Once we get past the Kinslaying, the pomposity of the writing declines exponentially. I'm at the beginning of "Beren and Lúthien" at the moment and it's lovely. []

I also find it interesting that there are many more well fleshed-out female characters in the Sil than in the published works. I love the political conversation between Galadriel and Melian about the Sons of Fëanor. []

And may I just say: yes, still think Fëanor is an utter arse. []

Have skipped ahead a little bit and read the end of "Of Túrin Turambar" about the raising of the cairn-stone.

"But she was not there."

[] [] []

Every. Time.

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I'm not there yet. []

I almost threw it across the room at Thingol and Melian (Please, standing in a trance in a glade? [] ) so I'm proud of myself for getting anywhere past that. [] I'll read last weeks chapter tonight.

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Oh, I liked that bit. [] I liked that the power of the Ainur is not necessarily a moral force, that it can be used for things that we might say are bad, like keeping someone trapped in a glade for hundreds of years until all their kin think they're dead. []

I have read [citation needed] where JRRT is describing a bit of Beleriand and says that it is particularly dangerous because Melian's power overlaps with something else equally badass [] (my memory fails me). It is as though power is just a function of Melian, just like breathing, and it is neither good nor bad but just ever-present.

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Miriel didn't exactly not have patience, she did the Elvish equivalent of dying in childbirth as far as I can make out.
That's what she did, but then she refused to take the offer to come back to life again.
Perhaps it wasn't so much lack of patience, she said that she would never change her mind, and perhaps she ought to have left that a bit more open.

Finwë was the one who was most to blame for lacking patience - he should have waited for her to change her mind. Instead he had the Valar dissolve his union with Miriel, and eventually married Indis instead.

So Fëanor got some half-brothers that he didn't like much.

And by the time Miriel finally did change her mind, Finwë was dead, Feänor and one of his half-brothers had gone to Middle-earth, and it was basically too late to change anything.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

quote:
I have read [citation needed] where JRRT is describing a bit of Beleriand and says that it is particularly dangerous because Melian's power overlaps with something else equally badass
If your much needed citation comes from the Sil then you're thinking of the road passing between Doriath and Nan Dungortheb. Enchanted girdle to the south, horror and despair from Ungoliant's spawn in the gorges to the north. []
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

But that's the thing about the Silm. Everyone says it's really complicated, but I don't think it is. Not really. It is detailed, yes. Very much so. In fact, it is the only book I know that can describe epic events in chapters of around 6 pages or so. Which isn't that hard to read once you get into it.
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

I am, Arta, thanks. [] I knew spiders came into it somewhere. *shudder*
[]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Unless I missed it, Miriel's not appeared again yet.

It is complicated though. So many similar names, it's almost as bad as Wuthering Heights.

Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I came on to apologise to DQ for not keeping up with my reading, having been very busy recently, but it seems that the read-along has turned into anything but that.

Apart from naughty laggards like me, are we not supposed to be reading a certain amount each week, and then talking about that with the help of those who are Silperts?

If I catch up (which I was intending to do), then one thing I don't want is a ton of spoilers discussing events and characters that are pages and pages ahead.

And here is my apology DQ: I'm sorry for signing up and then getting way behind. I will do my level best to catch up with your official reading time-line this week.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Queen of Grammar with King Marcho.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

No problem, SSA, but do try to catch up. []

There does seem to be a little too much ahead-talk from those who know it really. I've no idea what they're talking about, but I'm sure if one did they would be spoilers. So...

Less of that in future please! Discuss away, but try to remember there are people here who DON'T know what's going to happen until it does and keep your references to things that have occurred on the official timeline. I don't update the first post's schedule just to keep myself entertained. []

[ 10-19-2011, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Sil read-alongs of Yore and Fore (Page 6)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help