Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Sil read-alongs of Yore and Fore (Page 5)
Author Topic: Sil read-alongs of Yore and Fore
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
FYI, I am away for work this week and do not have TS with me. If the rest of you would like to carry on let me know and I'll catch up when I get back. Otherwise, we can start The Sil proper together on Monday the 22nd. []
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Something to look forward to! []
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
TDI, read your PM's
From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Unless anyone has anything pressing that prevents continuation, we will be starting Chapter 1 of The Sil Proper this week. []
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeeeaaaaahhh, I may have read ahead a little. But only a little.
[]
So originally there was one more male than female Vala, although this may be explained in Chapter 1. STAY TUNED FOR MORE NEWS!! []

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

[]

Ooooh, is one of them getting surgery? []

[ 08-23-2011, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[River song]Spoilers...[/River Song] []
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

[]
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

On to chapter 2 today, unless anyone has anything exciting to say about chapter 1 - to me it didn't appear to be saying very much, but maybe I missed something vital. []
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

First post updated.
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

So, dwarves and ents?
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. []

Anything unclear?

[ 09-03-2011, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Artaresto ]

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing unclear at all. Though a few references for later and the last apperance by Eru having a nice little chat with Aule? And one might wonder why Christopher choose to include it here. But nothing unclear. And very short. You can read it in your coffe-break at work!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Coffee break? Chance would be a fine thing. []

I wouldn't say unclear, other than it's unclear why anyone published it. It is spectacularly boring so far IMO. [] <-Hiding

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Well, I might point out that it does talk about some pretty spectactular stuff, one God fighting all the rest, lamps crashing upon whole continients etc. And don't forget that Melkor is still at large. How will the Elves cope in this world when their awakening comes?
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

Don't worry, all this background information will be more interesting later. There are some epic narratives ahead. []
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

It didn't strike me as spectacular, Hamfast. []

That's good to know, Arty. I don't mind background info at all if it comes in handy, but it's not terrribly exciting in itself. ;

Are well all ready to move on to Ch3?

[ 09-05-2011, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There's a bit more background or setup to go yet DQ , but it does get better.

I think people's love of this book is due to a love for the subject matter more than a love of the actual narrative, but that's just my opinion.

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Ah, a marginally more interesting chapter - something other than the Valar sitting around doing nothing. []
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

And the next chapter is only two pages long so that should be quick!
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Speed is no indicator of quality. [] Seriously, I must be missing something here, if not for the RAL I would have given up long ago. What's everyone so keen on?
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

What's coming after.

Srsly. []

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

You'll be getting another muffin to the head if it's [] . []
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"The Flight of the Noldor" is upcoming, that's a good and very eventful chapter.

One thing I've found quite helpful while reading the Sil, especially once the elves get back to Beleriand, is to have a copy of The Atlas of Middle Earth around. There's so many rivers, mountains, domains etc that I found having a map or two to be extremely helpful.

[ 09-21-2011, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Madomir ]

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Sil read-alongs of Yore and Fore (Page 5)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help