Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Sil read-alongs of Yore and Fore (Page 2)
Author Topic: Sil read-alongs of Yore and Fore
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Keep posting dates please everyone.

To answer Telpy:

quote:
Just a thought - maybe organising a few discussion questions before reading each chaper may be beneficial (helps with the discussion if we know the questions to keep in mind whilst reading). It would provide the basic structure for the beginnings of a discussion.
A little difficult when there are people who don't know The Sil - such as me. [] Part of the point of this is to help those of us who struggle (for whatever reason) to stick at it. A structured discussion may prove to be a hinderance from that point of view.
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I work 7 to 3 and often with overtime. You shouldn't base anything on my schedule but I'll help if I can. Weekends tend to be at home.
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Keep 'em coming. I'm building a first-post list - if anything's wrong/changes let me know.

Rightio, Arty.

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Aoife
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2368
posted      Profile for Aoife   Author's Homepage   Email Aoife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in! I'm around most of the summer, and have computer access through the day []

I think that deciding the reading schedule is most important (which chapters which weeks)...hopefully, the discussion will grow organically as we get deeper into the book.

Huzzah!

From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I would be more available during weekends than during workdays as well - at least most weekends. During July I might be travelling and be less available.

But I'll try to read the thread(s) and see whether there is something I could add to the discussion - especially if there is a definite question that needs an answer (if Artaresto hasn't answered it already ...)

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As I say I am always around to help! One thing I believe I do know is the Silm. I might not be about much next week as in another site I am in a similair thing in Lotr and have voluntered to lead a Chapter called Minas Tirith! I had to really!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I'll update the first post in a while, I have to work. Pff. []
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've put my reading glasses on!

I am now free to participate - well, once Wimbledon is over (Sunday) I shall be.

Are we just reading from page 1?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Queen of Grammar with King Marcho.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I would assume we are, yes. Unless anyone has a better idea?
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
We could read it backwards.

Sorry []

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

It might make as much sense. []
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, come on ladies, the Silm is actually a great tale once you get into it and not as difficult as is rumoured. At least I think, Arty thinks, Varna thinks a few people from other Tolkien sites I know of think and a few people that used to be here do and..... er, not many people think it as confusing as my work-collegue did, but just between you lot and me he is a bit thick at times. Seriously it is well worth reading. More than once! I still find things now that I didn't realize when I first read the tale.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

It may not be difficult, Mr Gamgee, but it is confusing. Everyone/thing seems to have at least three names for starters.

Last night I did indeed start reading at the end, on the grounds that if the material was familiar it might be possible to grapple more easily with the style, but the only conclusion I reached was that I needed to make notes as I went along.

I realise that it is an indictable offence to criticise JRRT on a Tolkien board, but his style in the Sil is convoluted and I don't see how you can deny it. Though I am sure many will - but I shan't be responding [] Perhaps []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Queen of Grammar with King Marcho.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Well, good for you Master Gamgee, but this thread is for those of us who DO find it hard work. I don't really think "oh come off it's EASY!" sort of posts are really going to encourage, which is the point of the proposed read-along. It most likely is worth reading, which is why I made this thread - to help those who struggle to make it to the end.

[ 07-04-2011, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

I never said it was easy, just not as difficult as many say. And I honestly mean this. And this is from someone that still doesn't get all of the Harry Potter tales, nos 1, 2 and 3 maybe but some of them after that did make me scratch my head a little. Heck, I find some plotlines in Soaps more complicated at times, but I suppose I don't concentrate so much on them. Oh, one thing I did notice however, about half way through and without giving too much away, was that this was a different type of tale from Lotr or the Hobbit.

[ 07-04-2011, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's the plotlines so much that are confusing, it's mostly the list of characters. Not only do they all have two or three names, but those names are confusingly similar to each other. It took me at least three readings before I could read without thinking 'now which Fin is this' all the time []

(And reading his early versions in HoME doesn't help - there you'll find some of the same names, but belonging to different characters - one such case probably made it all the way to LotR, to Galdor of the House of Finrod, which should probably have been of the House of Finarfin.)

I didn't get really familiar with them until I started role-playing them over at the Green Dragon. I admit that this is a time-consuming way to get to know them ...

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Hamfast, I happen to have TRIED reading it and I do not think it is easy. You struggle with HP but can read the Sil? []

[] Varnafindë. Not a bad way to get to know them though. I think the many-named characters combined with a style that reads something like badly-translated norse mythology is my main problem with it. It reminds me too much of the current Penguin version of the Laxdaela Saga (the first few pages are on Amazon, it's unreadably translated).

"...and Bob who was also known as Fred to his friends and Larry to his enemies and Barbara to those who knew him really well had 3 children called Eeny Meeny and Miiny and they were also known as Fe Fi and Fo and they went to the shops and then they came back and still there was no style at all to the writing..."

[ 07-05-2011, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

Thanks to Varna for some sense here []

DQ, as they say in these parts, you are "not raight sharp" - though I entirely agree with you.

Master Hamfast leaves me semi-speechless (a great achievement) - you can read The Sil, and you can't read HP????!!!!!! Please tell, where did you find the comic book version of Mr Tolkien's minorpiece?

Roll of Honor Aoife
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2368
posted      Profile for Aoife   Author's Homepage   Email Aoife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm of the breed of readers that keeps plodding ahead, even if she doesn't quite know what's going on [] Meaning, I wasn't able to keep all the names straight at the beginning, but I kept reading []

One of the things that helped me when I was in school learning foreign languages was to try to see/feel that the name for certain things felt right. That's what helped me with the names in the Silm. Associate a name with an event, or an emotion, or something of that ilk.

A rabbi friend of mine would start out text studies with the question: what bothers you about this text? So if we begin at the beginning - not that we have to! - what bothers people about the Ainulindale or the Valaquenta? Something that these chapters make me wonder about is where/what is the Void? Where is everyone when they're singing? What does Eru's throne sit on?

(I know no one died and made me RAL leader, so if I should shut up, let me know!)

From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*Appoints Aoife to RAL leader*

I'm no leader so I'll pass the role anyways. I will try to answer questions which might arise.

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

Errr, excuse me Artaresto. This is DQ's thread. Surely she should say who does what, if anybody has official positions. Which are very probably not necessary anyway.

Yes Aoife do shut up, there's a dear, before DQ gets here...

[ 07-05-2011, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: Sauron's Secret Agent ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

First post updated.

[] ... I are the Self Appointed Queen of my RAL. No mutiny!

Because of the muchly varying lifestyles, reading speeds etc I suggest something nice and easy, such as either a set number of pages or a chapter a week to start with. Perhaps someone who knows the Sil could comment on the general length of chapters/sections and their suitability for said time frame?

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

I might agree to that, but are you going to read the two little tales at the start?
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Starting at the start is usually a good idea in my experience. [] But if an opinion's a bit much don't tax yourself Hamfast. []
Roll of Honor Aoife
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2368
I think a chapter a week is doable - enough to chew, but not enough to choke on!
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Sil read-alongs of Yore and Fore (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help