Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Sil read-alongs of Yore and Fore (Page 1)
Author Topic: Sil read-alongs of Yore and Fore
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I always meant to get in on one, in the hopes that it would help me to make it through. I confess, the Sil always beats me. Do the Lurkers of the Lits still do these?

Note on new title: 'Fore' being the upcoming read-along, naturally.

[] Please leave any sanity at the door and come on in. (It's for safety reasons, I assure you.) []

Edit:

Roll Call:
Sauron's Secret Agent - Slow/Absent until Mid-July.
Telperaca - Available after Mid-June.
Artaresto - Self-Appointed Helper - Should be around at weekends.
Aoife - Around most of the summer.
Varnafindë - Mostly available at weekends, will answer questions if and when.
Hamfast Gamgee - Always around to help.
Athene - In, but not under a blanket.
Thingol of Doriath - Not really in, but may be asked for help.

The Are ye with us? List:
pi
Vardamir

Proposed Start Date: 18th of July
Proposed Timescale: 1 Chapter per Week (lives permitting)
Proposed Reading Assistance: Notebook, pen, map, sandwiches, flask of tea, blanket/towel/duvet (for hiding)
Helpful Charts by Athene: Organisational Chart for the Valar and Table of Characteristics

Schedule:
18/07/2011 - Ainulindalë
01/08/2011 (Planned: 25/07/2011) - Valaquenta
22/08/2011 (Planned: 08/08/2011) - Of the Beginning of Days
29/08/2011 - Of Aulë and Yavanna
05/09/2011 - Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor
12/09/2011 - Of Thingol and Melian
19/09/2011 - Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalië
26/09/2011 - Of Fëanor and the Unchaining of Melkor
03/10/2011 - Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor
10/10/2011 - Of the Darkening of Valinor
17/10/2011 - Of the Flight of the Noldor
24/10/2011 - Of the Sindar
31/10/2011 - Of the Sun and Moon and the Hiding of Valinor
07/11/2011 - Of Men
14/11/2011 - Of the Return of the Noldor
21/11/2011 - Of Beleriand and its Realms
28/11/2011 - Of the Noldor in Beleriand
05/12/2011 - Of Maeglin
12/12/2011 - Of the Coming of Men into the West
19/12/2011 - Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin
26/12/2011 - Of Beren and Lúthien
02/01/2012 - Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad
09/01/2012 - Of Túrin Turambar
16/01/2012 - Of the Ruin of Doriath
23/01/2012 - Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin
30/01/2012 - Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath
06/02/2012 - Akallabêth
13/02/2012 - Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age

Future Chapters:
Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin
Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath
Akallabêth
Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age

Words of Wisdom:

"Now I must run out to buy a very fat notebook, as my toe-in-the-water reading makes me realise that I shall have to make notes, if only to keep up with the Multiple Name Syndrome. I shall also require a map, sandwiches and a flask of tea." ~ Sauron's Secret Agent

"Whenever I read obscure Tolkien and come across a jaw cracker Elvish word, I tend to pronounce it in my head as "Nnnn hnnnn iiil" and then just get on with the story." ~ Thingol of Doriath

"On another note, the Random Capitalisations, that make everything look very Mythic, are, how you say, Super Bloody Irritating. [] " ~ Athene

[ 01-27-2012, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have read parts of The Sil, but must admit that on the whole it defeats me. I find the style a barrier, and I just get confused if I try to read it straight through. The only real reason for reading it, for me, is to discover the background history. (Of course I don't like a book to defeat me either. When one considers some of the things I have managed to plough through, this is a sad blot on my record. [] )

So if others want to be led as well, and some kind and knowledgeable Silperts would act as guides, I'm in.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just plain wrong to have a video conference moot? []
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vardamir
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11349
posted      Profile for Vardamir   Email Vardamir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean by read along? I love the Sil and read it or listen to it once a year, so I may be interested in a read along.
Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
SSA: You've ditched your shades for reading I see!

pi: [] Ent moot would have been interesting like that, I'm sure!

Vardamir: As I recall, the Sil was read a chapter at a time, with us Sil newbies being led and explaind to when necessary by a citizen who knew it well and was willing to help us out. A Lits veteran might know more. I only stuck my nose into these sorts threads and considered them before.

[ 05-07-2011, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I do know the Silmarillion well. []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Are you expressing an interest, Artaresto? []

Edit: Aiyee, late-spotted typo!

[ 05-08-2011, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on what I have to do. []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think you just take the reluctant gently by the hand and lead them through a section at a time, providing explanations, encouragement, and tea and cookies []

edit: I didn't mean to post at that point, my comp has a mind of its own. []

I never took part in a read-along, so I don't really know - just speculating. And for the next couple of months, I may not have much time available. Though maybe small sections would be possible. And of course I will have to find my copy - not sure where it landed last time it flew across the room []

[ 05-08-2011, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Sauron's Secret Agent ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Queen of Grammar with King Marcho.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

IIRC, read along with us poor confused people a little at a time, set us straight when we've no idea what's going on, and poke us with sticks, I mean, encourage us. []

Edit: SSA said it better. []

[ 05-08-2011, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

I prefer tea and cookies to pointy sticks []
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

As do I. I was going to say that sticks was more Mordor-ish, but we ALL know that the Dark Side has cookies! []

Edit: You taught your copy of the Sil to fly? I'm impressed! []

[ 05-08-2011, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

I'll answer [almost] any question.

And it's been long since I last read it - two months at least! [] I think I have read it twelwe times in six years. []

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I could answer some questions as well. []
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Very kind of you both. []

I suppose now we need more confused people in need of a guide. []

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I know the Silmarillion I believe! So I think I should add myself to the guide list. Though I'm not sure that I do know it as well as some that have been here in the past have. Although it is in many ways a different kind of work to other Tolkien ones. More adult, perhaps? And one thing that I always bang on about though no one believes me, is that it is really not that complicated. No, it really isn't. And that's not because I am a Tolkien genuis, but some of it's works are not as complicated as people might have you believe. In fact I find some of the ways that Harry Potter got out of his scraps a bit more complicated. In fact, fact, the entire Silm is in length around 300 pages. About half the length of one of the later Harry Potter tales. Though it does use it's word time well!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Well, you see Hamfast, that's where some of us need help. we get confused easily. I do anyway! []
Roll of Honor Aoife
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2368
posted      Profile for Aoife   Author's Homepage   Email Aoife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I love read-alongs! I just finished a Silm RAL and a Hobbit RAL on another site, and I'm still in the RAL groove. We'd pick a chapter and then come up with some questions to discuss; would that work here? That way, veteran readers and newbies could both participate.
From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm always happy to help! And I'm not a literary genuis, but perhaps possibly been from a different generation and one that has read older literature I do understand Tolkien's general style and where he is coming from in the Silm. Mind, having said that, I did lend the book to a colleague at work who likes to read and tells me he has read Lotr once and suggested one little chapter of a few pages for him to read and he told me he was totally confused by it! []
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Sounds like the sort of thing, Aoife! Good idea to do it in such a way that everyone can get stuck in. []

That's how a lot of us are I think, Hamfast. I've read LotR, I read Classic literature, I read myths and legends and old sagas such as inspired Tolkien, but I can't read the Sil! []

Roll of Honor Aoife
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2368
posted      Profile for Aoife   Author's Homepage   Email Aoife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Soooo...are we going to do this? Anyone want to start a thread, or post a schedule or anything? Or is there not really enough interest?
From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Yes indeed, my fault really. I've been a bit MT-absent with work. []

When would be a good time for those interested to start?

Edit: I'll make a thread/a more organised first post in this one when I know who's interested and when we can all start.

[ 05-25-2011, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

*Double*

Can we have a posting of those interested with convenient start dates for them ASAP please?

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

I'm in - but I shall be slow/absent until mid-July. Sorry, but it's my busiest time of year.
Telperaca
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4298

posted      Profile for Telperaca   Email Telperaca   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested.
Anytime after mid-June is fine.
Need to go home and pick up my copy of the Sil.

quote:
We'd pick a chapter and then come up with some questions to discuss; would that work here?
Just a thought - maybe organising a few discussion questions before reading each chaper may be beneficial (helps with the discussion if we know the questions to keep in mind whilst reading). It would provide the basic structure for the beginnings of a discussion.
[]

From: Wonderland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Sil read-alongs of Yore and Fore (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help