Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » What did Túrin do to Brandir that was "unjust"? *Spoilers*
Author Topic: What did Túrin do to Brandir that was "unjust"? *Spoilers*
Peter_20
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6368
posted      Profile for Peter_20   Email Peter_20   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILERS!!!

---

Túrin slew Brandir in Brethil, but why was this considered unjust?
Didn't Brandir think that Túrin's "death" was good tidings and everything?

[ 09-14-2007, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Peter_20 ]

From: Sweden | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Did this justify Túrin killing him ?

And in any case, Brandir was right. He first did not like Túrin's coming into Brethil :
quote:
Now therefore they lifted him with reverence and bore him to Ephel Brandir; and Brandir coming out to meet them wondered at the bier that they bore. Then drawing back the coverlet he looked on the face of Túrin son of Húrin; and a dark shadow fell on his heart.

Unfinished Tales.

We know why : the curse []

Also, he was not pleased with Túrin wedding Níniel, for several reasons but :
quote:
And now Níniel was fully healed, and was grown fair and strong; and Turambar restrained himself no longer, but asked her in marriage. Then Níniel was glad; but when Brandir learned of it his heart was sick within him, and he said to her: "Be not in haste! Think me not unkindly, if I counsel you to wait."
"Nothing that you do is done unkindly," she said. "But why then do you give me such counsel, wise brother?"
"Wise brother?" he answered. "Lame brother, rather, un­loved and unlovely. And I scarce know why. Yet there lies a shadow on this man, and I am afraid."

Ibid.

And later, just before the marriage :
quote:
but Brandir was troubled, and the shadow on his heart grew deeper.

Ibid.

He was also so right when talking about Túrin going to battle :
quote:
And if so, how will you endure it? Have a care, for I forebode that if Turambar goes again to battle, then not he but the Shadow shall have the mastery.

Ibid.

Indeed, although Glaurung was killed, the Shadow won ...

But Brandir's last words should settle the case :
quote:
All that has chanced is a long tale to tell, and I am weary of you. But you slander me, son of Húrin. Did Glaurung slander you? If you slay me, then all shall see that he did not. Yet I do not fear to die, for then I will go to seek Níniel whom I loved, and perhaps I may find her again beyond the Sea.

Ibid.

From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mordor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6501
posted      Profile for Mordor   Email Mordor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
turin killed him for no reason
From: Mount Airy MD | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Being pissed is a reason. Just not a good one. []
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Then again, Brandir did slay Dorlas, persumaby for cowardice, one is tempted to say that what goes around comes around. But I can't help but think what a happy bunch of bedfellows those that came to face Glauring where. All of them died, I think. Must have been something to do with Dragon curse.

[ 01-29-2008, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bringerofterror
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5376
posted      Profile for bringerofterror   Email bringerofterror   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Basically Túrin accused him of gladly telling the story the dragon told Nienor, or possibly of just making it up. Guess this was his 'unjust' reason.
Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Turin was kind of a hotheaded jerk his entire life. Blame the curse, possibly, but he was never half the man his cousin Tuor was, IMO.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Turin needed someone like Gandalf to give him good advice!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Turin needed someone like Gandalf to give him good advice!
The First Age was much more cruel than the other two. There was no time for Gandalfs and advice, men just had to wield their swords firmly in order to survive. Besides, all the membres of the house of Hurin just had to be unhappy all their lives and all their choises had to be wrong because of Morgoth's curse.
From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » What did Túrin do to Brandir that was "unjust"? *Spoilers*
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help