Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » The Elessar: Valarian Intervention?
Author Topic: The Elessar: Valarian Intervention?
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Rereading "History of Galadriel and Celeborn" in Unfinished Tales, something struck me as odd: the story of Yavanna's gift of the Elessar to Galadriel.

quote:
And on a time Olórin came to Galadriel, who dwelt now under the trees of Green¬wood the Great; and they had long speech together. For the years of her exile began to lie heavy on the Lady of the Noldor, and she longed for news of her kin and for the blessed land of her birth, and yet was unwilling to forsake Middle-earth [this sentence was changed to read: but was not permitted yet to forsake Middle-earth]. And when Olórin had told her many tidings she sighed, and said: "I grieve in Middle-earth, for leaves fall and flowers fade; and my heart yearns, remembering trees and grass that do not die. I would have these in my home." Then Olórin said: "Would you then have the Elessar?"
And Galadriel said: "Where now is the Stone of Eärendil? And Enerdhil is gone who made it." "Who knows?" said Olórin. "Surely," said Galadriel, "they have passed over Sea as almost all fair things beside. And must Middle-earth then fade and perish for ever?" "That is its fate," said Olórin. "Yet for a little while that might be amended, if the Elessar should return. For a little until the Days of Men are come." "If – and yet how could that be," said Galadriel. "For surely the Valar are now removed and Middle-earth is far from their thought, and all who cling to it are under a shadow."
"It is not so," said Olórin. "Their eyes are not dimmed nor their hearts hardened. In token of which look upon this!" And he held before her the Elessar, and she looked on it and wondered. And Olórin said: "This I bring to you from Yavanna. Use it as you may, and for a while you shall make the land of your dwelling the fairest place in Middle-earth. But it is not for you to possess. You shall hand it on when the time comes. For before you grow weary, and at last forsake Middle-earth one shall come who is to receive it, and his name shall be that of the stone: Elessar he shall be called."

Does this contradict the Valar's refusal for direct intervention? Does this mean that this story is likely the false one of the two(the other being that the Elessar was created by Celebrimbor)? Or does it follow along the lines of the Istari? To inspire, not lead.

I do find it interesting that Yavanna should send both Radagast to look after the flora and fauna of Middle-earth and the Elessar to heal the physical hurts.

It's too bad one can't make a poll in the literary forums... it would be interesting to see what Tolkien lovers here think the origin of the Elessar is.

Any other thoughts on this story?

[ 09-23-2006, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Thingol of Doriath ]

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think it does not contradict the Valar's refusal of direct intervention. After all, sending the Istari was an action of the Valar in stead of direct intervention. Sending something with an Istar would then also count as indirect intervention. Also, according to this story, the Elessar was made in Gondolin, i.e. in the Mortal Lands. Sending it back to Middle-earth is thus a sort of low-level equivalent of letting Glorfindel, reincarnated in Aman, return to M-e again, to play a role in the fight against Sauron.
From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would agree with you except for the last few lines of the quote...

quote:
But it is not for you to possess. You shall hand it on when the time comes. For before you grow weary, and at last forsake Middle-earth one shall come who is to receive it, and his name shall be that of the stone: Elessar he shall be called.
Here it seems that the Valar are directly getting involved in a specific event. Though I suppose it all can be written off as foresight on Gandalf's part.

I don't know... I've always found this story fascinating. []

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the Valar's refusal for direct intervention
Sorry, but can I have a quote ? The Valar are getting disengaged, but they do not refuse to intervene ...
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You may have a point there, Eluchil. I assume you ask a quote from Thingol, who first used the frase in this thread.
From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not that selective, and would welcome a quote from anybody.
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
What I find interesting about the 'one Elessar' version -- in which Gandalf brings the stone from Yavanna -- is the timing.

When Gandalf arrives Galadriel not only has Nenya but can use it, Sauron having lost the One. If it's preservation power she wants...

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Thingol ever did rediscover his love of Tolkien? I hope so!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Galin said: What I find interesting about the 'one Elessar' version -- in which Gandalf brings the stone from Yavanna -- is the timing.

When Gandalf arrives Galadriel not only has Nenya but can use it, Sauron having lost the One. If it's preservation power she wants...

Maybe it's not Gandalf, but Olórin arriving with the Elessar -- arriving well before Gandalf did.
Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » The Elessar: Valarian Intervention?
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help