profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Ilúvatar
Author Topic: Ilúvatar
Lórien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5452
posted      Profile for Lórien   Email Lórien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,(this may sound like a stupid question or impossible even.)
I read BoLT part 1 and the person most of you call "Eru" is called "Ilúvatar" in BoLT. Do any of you know why it is so? Which one is used in the Silmarilion and which one is most recognized. Which one do yuo recomment?
thanks

[ 06-09-2006, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Lòrien ]

From: thats completely up to you. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Both names are used in Silmarillion. Possibly Illúvatar was the first name Tolkien used (thus in BoLT), and Eru was a later addition? The Valaquenta, the second book in the Silmarillion, starts,
quote:
In the beginning Eru, the One, who in the Elvish tongue is named Ilúvatar, made the Ainur of his thought
Sometimes the two names are even used together, naming him Eru Illúvatar.

Perhaps the idea is that it is really the same name, only in two different languages, both versions meaning the One - but someone else would know more than I do about just that.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lòrien,

Eru Ilúvatar is comprised of two distinct names for the Supreme Creator in Tolkien's legendarium. In The Silmarillion -- or at least in the Valaquenta -- they seem to be used interchangeably. That's because each name expresses the nature of the Supreme Creator in a different and unique way.

For instance, Eru is a Quenya word (at least in this form) tha t literally means "The One". The root is er- which means "solitary, one, alone". You also find this root in words like the adjective erya ("single or alone") and Tol Eressëa, the "Lonely Isle".

Ilúvatar, OTOH, means something different altoghether: "All-Father", from ilu, "the whole" or ilúvë, "allness, everything" and atar, "father".

That these are Quenya names for the Supreme Creator probably has more to do with the fact that Quenya was the language of Aman, and that the Valar used Quenya to teach the Eldar about creation, Eru and the the Ainulindalë.

As for why there's no Sindarin name equivalent of "Eru Ilúvatar" I guess the nearest to an explanation as we can get is that Tolkien says there was little or no religion or what we would call worship in Middle-earth. In any event, the Sindar were more likely to invoke a particular Vala such as Elbereth (Varda).

Of course I realize this may not make a bit of sense to you since I believe you haven't read The Silmarillion yet. If you can get through BoLT and still enjoy it without reading Sil, then hat's off to ya... [] [] []

[ 06-09-2006, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I use Eru because it is easier to type.
From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ilúvatar, OTOH, means something different altoghether: "All-Father", from ilu, "the whole" or ilúvë, "allness, everything" and atar, "father".
Good, that's what I wasn't sure about!
There's always something new to learn ...

And I'd say, read the Silmarillion as soon as you can get hold of it.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lórien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5452
posted      Profile for Lórien   Email Lórien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't own the book so I have to get it from a library and they didn't have it... so I will content myself with looking around here until its in []
From: thats completely up to you. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This matches the Norse Odin, i.e. the "all-father."

[ 06-10-2006, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lórien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5452
Silmathar I read the first "book" of BoLT and enjoyed it very much!althoguht it was kinda confusing. and I also learned somethign about Elbereth! I didn't know Elbereth was Varda... you learn something new every day... thanks

[ 06-10-2006, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Lòrien ]

Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This matches the Norse Odin, i.e. the "all-father."
Does anyone know what the name "Odin" means? Is it in fact a Norse word originally? Because I just though of something interesting: the Russian word for "one" is odin (pronounced ah-DEEN).
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Odin is from Old Norse Óðinn, which I guess is related to the word óðr, meaning "excitation," "fury" or "poetry." Is there anyone more familiar with Old Norse around who can offer more information?
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lórien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5452
um this is kinda off topic. but thats fine.
one more question which do you guys prefer.
Ilúvatar or Eru?

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

We often prefer Eru because it is easier to type []
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! Sorry. []

I prefer Ilúvatar because I like the sound of it better. []

But Eru might be more "correct." I'm not sure.

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Q
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5312
posted      Profile for Q   Email Q   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Using "Illuvatar" is stereotypical of elves who say it all the time...

one should never not make this stereotipical observation.

[ 06-11-2006, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: MANDOS ]

From: LOS ANGELES, CA. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

Thanks, Rocky for the bit about Odin. That explains why he's referred to as "The Furor" in A.A. Attanasio's intepretation of the Arthurian legend (The Dragon and the Unicorn, The Eagle and th Sword, et. al.)

I also prefer Eru because it's easier and faster to type. But within the internal reality of Tolkien's legendarium, I would venture to say that Eru is the more correct name since that is the name the Creator is first called in the beginning of the Ainulindale:
quote:
There was Eru, the One, who in Arda is called Ilúvatar...
Note, too the redundancy of the first phrase: "Eru" and "the One" as if to emphasize the nature of his being. It makes sense that Eru was "the One" first before he was the "All-Father".
Lórien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5452
okay then Eru it is!
case closed

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Ilúvatar
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help