profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Christopher Tolkien
Author Topic: Christopher Tolkien
Aranor
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3130
posted      Profile for Aranor   Email Aranor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Why does Christopher Tolkien not begin work on some new material for Middle Earth? I personally think it would be awesome if he took an event from the first or second age and fleshed it out to the extent of Lord of the Rings? Maybe it's just me but I would be thrilled.
From: Rhode Island | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well so far it seems it would be just you. If CT did it it would not be Tolkien, whatever his last name was.
From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It would be interesting, but it wouldn't exactly be the real thing, and I doubt anyone at all could do it as well as JRRT did. Besides, CT is 78-79 years old, I don't think he will start doing something like that anymore.

It would be quite interesting if one of Tolkien's descendants writes something in the future, but it is unlikely that it ever will happen, because they probably respect his works so much and don't have much interest in trying to expand upon them.

From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son_of_Feanor
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3239
posted      Profile for Son_of_Feanor   Email Son_of_Feanor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well apparently Chris hates his son.

http://www.tolkienonline.com/docs/9689.html

Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
CT is 90 years old today: he was born November 21st 1924.
And I'm really happy he didn't invent any new ME stories.

From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenohtar
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11421
posted      Profile for Numenohtar   Email Numenohtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think if there was a time for that, it would have been given as a responsibility by JRR to his son before he died. And even then it should not have created new tales so much as "filled in the corners" (to use a bit of Shire slang).

It'd be fine, in my opinion, to read Christopher Tolkien giving us an updated Of Tuor and His Coming to Gondolin / The Fall of Gondolin, an account of Earendil and the War of Wrath, perhaps some more expansive accounts of the stories from Numenor...

Registered: Dec 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
.... and at 90, you have to consider who the estate will be handed off to when CT passes....
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Children of Hurin was kind of what the OP is looking for. Frankly I wasn't incredibly impressed. It was good but as people have said, it wasn't quite The Professor. I actually started to combine the different versions of the Tuor story for my own enjoyment. I let that project fall by the wayside though.

[ 05-02-2015, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: The Dread Pirate Roberts ]

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Christopher Tolkien
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help