profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Elven Powers
Author Topic: Elven Powers
The Last of the Noldor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2909
posted      Profile for The Last of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What did Tolkien mean by strenth of mind?
Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Erm, strength of will. Strength not to be overpowerd by the will of another.
From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Curufin the Crafty
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2540

posted      Profile for Curufin the Crafty   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Andrúil is certainly right, but I believe in addition he also meant their mental strengths, such as intelligence.
From: Wherever people are oppressed... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Glorfindel of Los 'lóriol
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2884

posted      Profile for Glorfindel of Los 'lóriol   Email Glorfindel of Los 'lóriol   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Finrod seems to hit it closer, because didnt the dwarves also have the power not to be 'overpowerd by the will of another'.
From: NY | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melkor, The Fallen
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3016
posted      Profile for Melkor, The Fallen   Email Melkor, The Fallen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
True on both counts, while the Dwarves are stubborn of mind, and willful, Dwarves focus well on completing tasks, but they tend to have very narrow interests. I feel that Eru granted the elves such "strength of mind" to allow them to endure the doom of "immortality". The Elves and some very few Men of "westernesse" influence were not easy prey for Melkor or Sauron because of their "Strength of Mind" and where not as prone to "the bending of the mental knee". Sauron for the most part seemed to be more pragmatic then his former boss, he did not even try to influence the elves. He concentrated on the weakest of wills....Men.
From: USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it somehow what Frodo saw of Glorfindel while he was on the way to Rivendell, slowly drifting into the "spirit world"?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown. - H.P. Lovecraft

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2540

posted      Profile for Curufin the Crafty   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No, that was because elves co-exist on both the spiritual and the physical plane at all times. From the Wraith world, elves appear as bright white - because their spirits are pure and good.
From: Wherever people are oppressed... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eledhsúle
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1980

posted      Profile for Eledhsúle   Author's Homepage   Email Eledhsúle   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I can remember that Elves (at least more powerful elves) didn't need words to communicate with each other, but used only their minds.

I have to go and see if I can find back story to this...

From: Finland | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Eled, Galadriel did this with all the company remember...
From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aragorn 3rd
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2426
posted      Profile for Aragorn 3rd   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Anduril...galadriel also helps sam and frodo against shelob when they cry for help whilst holding the vial. (as if she communicates and her voice is heard by them). Strength of mind certainly applies to the greatest elf of all 'feanor' who's name means 'spirit of fire' (curufinwe was his real name though)

Also elrond tells isildur to throw the ring in mount doom, but isildur keeps it. Shows elrond has greater strength of mind than isildur who was a powerful man.

From: london england | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eledhsúle
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1980

posted      Profile for Eledhsúle   Author's Homepage   Email Eledhsúle   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Andúril, I remember, but what I ment by that was a quote, but I hade it no where to be found. Thank you still, Galadriel, Elrond, Celeborn and Gandalf (gröhöm, okay, he was not and elf) all had that power.
From: Finland | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

Hey, 3 of those ppl were ringbearers. Do you think that has any relevance?
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2540

quote:
Strength of mind certainly applies to the greatest elf of all 'feanor' who's name means 'spirit of fire' (curufinwe was his real name though)
Actually, Fëanáro and Curufinwë were both his "real" names. While "Curufinwë" (Skillful Finwë) was the name given to him by his father, and a permanent and primary name, "Fëanáro" was his amilessi tercenyë, or "mother name of insight," and was also his chosen name, and as that, a part of his primary and permanent name.

Andruil - I am sure that the fact that three of the four are ringbearers has a great deal to do with their power. Although it is debatable if it is a consequence of the ring, or the reason they were chosen to guard it.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
To gain that which is worth having, it may be necessary to lose everything else.
~Bernadette Devlin
http://www.shonjir.net

Viscount Værtalion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3122

posted      Profile for Viscount Værtalion   Author's Homepage   Email Viscount Værtalion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
strenght of freewill, remember that Gil-galad knew he was the last supreme elvenking but he still striked and fought against Sauron.
and he also was a ring bearer (he bore the strongest of the three Nenya? before he past it on to Elrond)

From: Serapion | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

I would guess it to be the latter, though who can tell? We know that Gandalf was chosen to bear a Ring, because he was deemed the "wisest"
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"No, that was because elves co-exist on both the spiritual and the physical plane at all times. From the Wraith world, elves appear as bright white - because their spirits are pure and good."

This made me wonder: Is it because their spirits are pure and good, or because their spirits are powerful (maybe potent is a better word)? I mean, there are tales of Elves who were neither pure nor good, including many who showed immense pride or greed. Would their spirits shine in the same manner if seen in the Wraith world?

Taking the original statement further, would the spirits of any spirits Men shine in the same manner? I mean, their spirits were also created by Eru, so do their choices in life or inherent nobility (or lack thereof) come into play?

From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

I believe not, the only reason the elves shined, was because they existed in the spiritual realm at the same time as the mortal, no man could live in the spiritual realm. Except those who were brought there, ie. Frodo as the ringbearer, and as he was stabbed by the Morgul knife.
Haleth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2693

posted      Profile for Haleth   Author's Homepage   Email Haleth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a thought:

When Glorfindel appears to the company after Frodo is stabbed, he is described thusly
quote:
To Frodo it appeared that a white light was shining through the form and rainment of the rider, as if through a thin veil.
This is just because Frodo was teetering on the edge of the spirt world and the real world, right? Why else could Glorfindel shine?
From: Brethil (Seattle for those in the real world) | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That's exactly right Haleth... i think.. but why is this so? Éoric raises a great question, is it purity or sheer power that causes this? Obviously Glorfindel had both attributes, but what of the sons of Feanor? Would they shine in this way?
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Last of the Noldor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2909
posted      Profile for The Last of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No they would not shine only the elves who had seen the light of the two trees would shine.
Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lassë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3063

posted      Profile for Lassë   Email Lassë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
the last of the noldor,
the sons of Fëanor saw the light of the two trees, didn't they?

From: Berlin | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

They must have done, because before Feanor was banished, he was sentanced in the Ring of Doom which is in sight of the Two Trees.
Viscount Værtalion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3122

posted      Profile for Viscount Værtalion   Author's Homepage   Email Viscount Værtalion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i agree with haleth i think Glorfindel is one of the best and the oldest. remember it was him that said that no man would kill the chief of the NAZGUL he was there thousands of years ago that puts him high in my rankings.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Fool, prate not to me about covenants.
There can be no covenants between men and lions,
wolves and lambs can never be of one mind, but
hate each other out and out and through.

From: Serapion | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Elven Powers
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help