Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Varda's nature? (Page 1)
Author Topic: Varda's nature?
Lady Sandry of Ruatha
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2732

posted      Profile for Lady Sandry of Ruatha   Author's Homepage   Email Lady Sandry of Ruatha   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
out of the deeps of Eä she came to aid Manwë
what is the meaning of this? was Varda not made by illuvatar? did she not take part in the music?
From: Ruatha Hold | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Ecthelion of the Fountain
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 955
posted      Profile for Ecthelion of the Fountain   Email Ecthelion of the Fountain   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
you wanna give more of the quote? would make things alot easier, and if you could cite your source?
From: seattle, wa, usa | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Sandry of Ruatha
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2732

posted      Profile for Lady Sandry of Ruatha   Author's Homepage   Email Lady Sandry of Ruatha   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
sure.the silm,the bit about varda in the valaquenta.
quote:
With Manwë dwells Varda, Lady of the Stars, who knows all the regions of Eä. Too great is her beauty to be declared in the words of Men or of Elves; for the light of Ilúvatar lives still in her face. In light is her power and her joy. Out of the deeps of Eä she came to the aid of Manwë; for Melkor she knew from before the making of the Music and rejected him, and he hated her, and feared her more than all others whom Eru made. Manwë and Varda are seldom parted, and they remain in Valinor.
and theres another odd bit.before the making of the music? WAS there a before the making of the music?

[ 12-13-2002, 05:53 AM: Message edited by: Maltariel ]

From: Ruatha Hold | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eol the Dark Elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 411

posted      Profile for Eol the Dark Elf   Email Eol the Dark Elf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure why this quote is incompatible with her having taken part in the music: Ea was the "universe", so in coming to Arda she went only to an area of Ea. Also all the Ainur did not go to Arda, and like Tulkas there were "late-comers": Varda seems to have a arrived a little later, in that we are told she came to aid Manwe, implying he was there already (?)

There must have been a "before the music" the music since the Ainur must have been created. That said though, the whole idea of time seems difficult, I find, to integrate into this sort of context. After Ea! came the Ainlindale. I think, I'm hazier than I thought I was, on this subject. []

[ 12-14-2002, 02:29 AM: Message edited by: Eöl the Dark Elf ]

From: Nan Elmoth | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Sandry of Ruatha
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2732

yes but its the out of the deeps she came bit that confuses me;it makes it sound like she was not crated,but came from somewhere else.
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think Ea actually referres to the word 'Be!' As in the World that Is.

She could have easily went into the deeps of Ea, from the Timeless Halls and then came out from them to give aid to Manwe.

From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eol the Dark Elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 411

posted      Profile for Eol the Dark Elf   Email Eol the Dark Elf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if I understand the layout of terms, The Void was all of Ea that was that not Arda (and not The Timeless Halls), so in entering Arda she did come from The Halls. I understand what you're saying; but Varda did come from the Halls, so the phrasing is apt, if a little confusing.
She was created as all of he Ainur, and did take part, as far as I know anyway []

[ 12-13-2002, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: Eöl the Dark Elf ]

From: Nan Elmoth | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Sandry of Ruatha
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2732

eol>im sure she was, its just that the phrasing thats confusing-i wouldnt have said the timeless halls were the depths of ea.
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If you think about it, all the Valar came from the depths of Eä. Eä is the universe it its entirety, anything not of Eä is the void and hence the Timeless Halls.

Anduril has it, Varda could very well have existed in a different part of Eä, attempting to construct that which see saw in the vision, as the others were. When the Valar arrived, there was nothing, similar to entering into an empty room. Tolkien never says the Valar were all together upon their creation of the World, not all of them. It's very plausable that Varda was off on her own, then joining Manwe later upon his battle with Melkor.

From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If you think about it, all the Valar came from the depths of Eä. Eä is the universe in its entirety, anything not of Eä is the void and hence the Timeless Halls.

Anduril has it, Varda could very well have existed in a different part of Eä, attempting to construct that which see saw in the vision, as the others were. When the Valar arrived, there was nothing, similar to entering into an empty room. Tolkien never says the Valar were all together upon their creation of the World, not all of them. It's very plausable that Varda was off on her own, then joining Manwe later upon his battle with Melkor.

[ 12-13-2002, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]

From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are all correct apart from one thing. Ea referrs to Arda and only arda. The Timeless Halls are anywhere that the music could be heard. And the Void, was just void. Thats all it was.
From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Sandry of Ruatha
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2732

it sounds like all we have to do is work out what ea actually is!
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

Ea, as it clearly states in the Silmarillion, id the "world that is". This referrs only to arda.
quote:
it was in the void but no of it
we can therefore assume thst the void was NOT part of Ea. The Timeless Halls were also not part of Ea because they were just places where sound was. They were not a product of the music, as was Arda.
Lady Sandry of Ruatha
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2732

then we are to assume she came from th centre of the earth?
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

No, we can assume that she came from the earth at one point. She could have always come from the Timeless Halls to the deeps, then come up from the deeps to aid Manwe when she was aware he needed aid.
Lady Sandry of Ruatha
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2732

i think youve got it!
Eol the Dark Elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 411

Spot on, Anduril:

But when the Valar entered into Ea...

I had this completely confused []

Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

Thought I had the Eä factor summed up, but I'll use better phrasing next time.

quote:
The Timeless Halls were also not part of Ea because they were just places where sound was.
A slightly crude assesment isn't this Anduril.

quote:
then we are to assume she came from th centre of the earth?
Well there wasn't really an earth to speak of was there? Think of it as more like she came out of a the depths of what was, whatever it was.

Thank you as well for creating this topic. The genesis aspects of mythology are my favorite. []

[ 12-15-2002, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]

Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

A crude assesment? I think not. If you read about when the music was unfolding, it talk about the "sound and the echos of the sound went into the void, and it was not void."

Remember that Eru had not given the Valar sight before he showed them Ea. They could only listen. So the void, was a void of sound, therefore anywhere the music was, the void was not.

Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

I realize what you were saying I just consider the Timeless Halls as a bit more than "just places where sound was." []
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

Well, maybe they were afterwards, but all the Ainur ever did was sing, all they needed to have were good ecoustics...
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"With Manwë dwells Varda, Lady of the Stars, who knows all the regions of Eä. Too great is her beauty to be declared in the words of Men or of Elves; for the light of Ilúvatar lives still in her face. In light is her power and her joy. Out of the deeps of Eä she came to the aid of Manwë; for Melkor she knew from before the making of the Music and rejected him, and he hated her, and feared her more than all others whom Eru made. Manwë and Varda are seldom parted, and they remain in Valinor."
 -
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Húrin Greenleaf
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11378
posted      Profile for Húrin Greenleaf   Email Húrin Greenleaf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid, Snöwdog, that the woman depicted can't compete with Varda. You said yourself that, 'Too great is her beauty to be declared in the words of Men or of Elves'.

When I heard that Liv Tyler was going to play Arwen, I felt sad for her. If you're going to portray someone who is supposed to resemble her great-great-grandmother, the most beautiful person among both Elves and Men, that's quite a mountain to try and climb!

From: Isle of Balar | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Still, after watching "The hunt for Gollum" I thought: "Liv Tyler wasn't that bad after all"...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
We wants it...
We needs it...
We mussst get the preciousss...

From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm afraid, Snöwdog, that the woman depicted can't compete with Varda.
Yeah, I suppose. Its interesting what comes up on a Google search image of Varda. []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Varda's nature? (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help