Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » everyones fav valar? (Page 2)
Author Topic: everyones fav valar?
Gwynithrell
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2499
posted      Profile for Gwynithrell   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My favourites are all of the Valier and Melkor (of course)...
I think that most the other Valar are boring.
If Melkor wouldn't steal the Silmarills then maybe there would still be elves among us...

Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lhunithiliel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2366
posted      Profile for Lhunithiliel   Email Lhunithiliel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Please, excuse me for being impolite! []

You are ALL invited to the "What if..?" - thread at the LOTR forum []

[ 08-28-2002, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: Lhunithiliel ]

From: the House of Feanor | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Manveri
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1806

posted      Profile for Manveri   Author's Homepage   Email Manveri   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like Ulmo and Yavanna []
From: Brazil, São Paulo City | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CurufinweSpiritOfFire
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2488
posted      Profile for CurufinweSpiritOfFire   Email CurufinweSpiritOfFire   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
He may be a lesser Valar, but I like Tilion he is rather interesting with his infatuation of the Sun and silver, & that he was an archer in Oromë's company, had a mighty silver bow.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"This is sharper than thy tongue"

From: Tirion, Valinor & Lake Mithrim for a while | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not a lesser Valar; a lesser Ainur, called a Maiar.
From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CurufinweSpiritOfFire
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2488
posted      Profile for CurufinweSpiritOfFire   Email CurufinweSpiritOfFire   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, i phrased that wrong

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"This is sharper than thy tongue"

From: Tirion, Valinor & Lake Mithrim for a while | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabil-burk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1486

posted      Profile for Gabil-burk   Author's Homepage   Email Gabil-burk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ulmo!
From: Lisbon | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iarnar the Desert Dog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2529

posted      Profile for Iarnar the Desert Dog   Edit/Delete Post 
To Kullervo: thanks for posting that quote, I think I now know which HoME volume to get first.

To answer the original question: my favorite Vala is Aulë, of course. The guy invented Dwarves, taught Fëanor most of what he knew, and was the leader of a group of Maiar that included Sauron and Curunir.

Most of the history of this side of the Great Sea occurs because of Aulë, his works, and his followers.

[ 09-11-2002, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Iarnar, son of Iarlot ]

From: on a horse with no name | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am not really thrilled with any of the valar(I don't connect with them really), but out of all of them I like either Varda or Tulkas. Tulkas is interesting to me in ways the other valar aren't(his impetuousness and temper for one), and Varda is just beautiful and glorious. []
From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fabian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1948

posted      Profile for Fabian   Email Fabian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tulkas is interesting, he sort of reminds me of the norse god Thor. But my personal favourites are Oromë and Yavana (corresponding to norse gods Uller and Freya, for those who are interested) cos they're nature-related.

Oh, wait, Oromë was a monster-slayer too, so in that respect he's like Thor.

[ 09-12-2002, 02:59 AM: Message edited by: Fabian ]

From: Sweden, land of... err... stuff. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iarnar the Desert Dog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2529

posted      Profile for Iarnar the Desert Dog   Edit/Delete Post 
A little off-topic, but if Tulkas and Oromë came to blows for some strange reason, who do you think would cry "uncle" first?
From: on a horse with no name | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bergil the Guard
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2535
posted      Profile for Bergil the Guard   Email Bergil the Guard   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
is Mandos counted as one of the valar?...well he would be my favourite..
From: valinor | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fabian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1948

posted      Profile for Fabian   Email Fabian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to say Tulkas would kick Oromë's rear end...
From: Sweden, land of... err... stuff. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eledhsúle
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1980

posted      Profile for Eledhsúle   Author's Homepage   Email Eledhsúle   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Can I change my choice???
Varda is actually more to me, as she created the Stars []
Still Yavanna is the second best...

From: Finland | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Húrin
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2552
posted      Profile for Húrin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Aulë, creator of the Dwarves is the greatest.
From: Beleriand | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Curufin the Crafty
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2540

posted      Profile for Curufin the Crafty   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have to agree that Melkor is the most interesting...without him, everything would have just been peachy keen. (oh my, I can't believe I said that...I'm not THAT old...)

I mean, really, the Silmarillion would have been SOOOOO boring without Melkor. You basically just would have had a bunch of elves, Valar and Maiar sitting around being happy and singing songs.

He's also the most developed of the Valar - we don't really see too much of the others.

Of the seven "technical" Valar, though, I like Ulmo and Tulkas the best.

~Théodwyn of Rohan

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
To gain that which is worth having, it may be necessary to lose everything else.
~Bernadette Devlin
http://www.shonjir.net

From: Wherever people are oppressed... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GreyLady
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2359

posted      Profile for GreyLady   Author's Homepage   Email GreyLady   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Mandos is a Vala, one of the most powerful, in fact. *brags on her bro*

Boring without Melkor? Why is it that everything everyone else calls boring I call peaceful? Oh well.

GL

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Sorrow is a woman
http://www.alqualonde.com

From: The Dark Hall of Fui, or Kentucky | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Curufin the Crafty
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2540

posted      Profile for Curufin the Crafty   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Peaceful's fine when you're living it - boring when you're reading about it.

Melkor's interesting 'cause he gets in there and messes everything up. []

~Théodwyn of Rohan

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
To gain that which is worth having, it may be necessary to lose everything else.
~Bernadette Devlin
http://www.shonjir.net

From: Wherever people are oppressed... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bergil the Guard
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2535
posted      Profile for Bergil the Guard   Email Bergil the Guard   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
yeah Mandos is my favourite then....

it's cool the way he just sits out of the way when the other valar discuss stuff...and then suddenly gives one of his prophecies......

From: valinor | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skyfiery
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2555
posted      Profile for Skyfiery   Email Skyfiery   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like Orome and Tulkas. [] But Melkor is the more interesting one.
From: Singapore | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khamul the easterling
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2195
posted      Profile for Khamul the easterling   Email Khamul the easterling   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ulmo is my favourite vala.
From: The baltic sea. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melkor, The Dark Lord
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2562

posted      Profile for Melkor, The Dark Lord   Email Melkor, The Dark Lord   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I cast my vote for........ MYSELF!!!!
Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bergil the Guard
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2535
aren't you supposed to be locked in the Timeless Void...?
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
yes but you can't balme him if he wants to come over to valinor occasionally for a pint can you? []

My faves? I really dunno. Prolly Manwe. or possibly Mandos. If we are including all the other Ainur tho, maybe Olórin (aka Gandalf)

From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melkor, The Dark Lord
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2562

posted      Profile for Melkor, The Dark Lord   Email Melkor, The Dark Lord   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well I was.... LOL But anyway I'm here now. []
BTW how do I get an avatar?

Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » everyones fav valar? (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help