search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Gondolin
Author Topic: Gondolin
Cassandra
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1600
posted      Profile for Cassandra   Edit/Delete Post 
I just read the "Don't let this forum die" thread, so I'll come up with something to talk about. []

Gondolin is rather unique for an Elven settlement. In Beleriand, the other two great cities, Nargothrond and Menegroth, were both cave complexes, not above ground. Gondolin seems more Númenórean than Elven in terms of architecture and design, in terms of its walls, towers, and buildings. Tirion is another massive above-ground city, but it wasn't designed to be such a great fortress. When I think of Elves I usually think more of "grace" and "beauty" than such "brute force" construction. In later ages, east of the Ered Luin Elves built Imladris, Caras Galadon, and other places, but none were even similar to Gondolin.

Ok sorry about the rambling.. post your ideas please! []

Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Círdan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 812
posted      Profile for Círdan   Author's Homepage   Email Círdan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've always found Gondolin intriguing for that very fact- the Quendi are always associated with finesse and beauty, but the wars of Beleriand against Morgoth forced them into an odd position of proud defense of an adopted home (for the Noldor, at least). And Gondolin in paticular reflects a turning point in the Elvish approach to life in Arda. Turgon was a high born Elf, in line for the high kingship, and dwelt in Nevrast by the sea in a fairly high degree of luxury (I imagine) and was not faced with an overbearing amount of work as far as leadership went. Fingolfin and Fingon and Finrod took care of everybody. But, when the risk of attack by Morgoth rose to an uncomfortable level, Turgon took upon himself the appointment bestowed upon him by Ulmo and built the impregnable rock of Gondolin; he rallied his people to him, led them to this haven and gave them a place where the Elven nation one more outpost where it could nurse its strength. Turgon built a fortress when he was having Gondolin built, but let us not forget the incredible beauty Gondolin was supposed to have posessed; towers, blades, spires, stairs, fountains. However, one must end up viewing Gondolin as a tragedy in and of itself, even if it hadn't fallen. It was a caged bird that grew to feel it was the center of the earth. There's more to be said, but I'm sleepy.
From: Atlanta | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thranduil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 858
posted      Profile for Thranduil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I love Gondolin!
That's one of the greatest wonders of Middle Earth, in my opinion. Too bad it had to fall...

Take a look at this painting by Ted Nasmith:

I love this pic. It's one of my favourites. It looks exactly as I imagined it while reading...
You can get the larger version here: Tuor Reaches the Hidden City of Gondolin

Edit: Well, that didn't work of course. Typical!
But the link works, I guess!

[ 04-06-2002, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: Thranduil ]

From: Molde, Norway | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celeborn of Lothlórien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1208

posted      Profile for Celeborn of Lothlórien   Author's Homepage   Email Celeborn of Lothlórien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
well..i decided i wud try to post it here so u dont need the link!!!
From: Downingtown,Pa | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Miz Lobelia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1612

posted      Profile for Miz Lobelia   Email Miz Lobelia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! If it looked like that I can see why Turgon was reluctant to move!
From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Aye, Gondolin has always been my favorite location of the First Age, as Turgon is my favorite character. Everything about it interests me.

That painting is one of my favorites, and its just about perfect. The only thing I can see wrong is that Tuor should have blonde hair (I think) And Voronwe should be wit him []

[ 04-06-2002, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Gandalf the White ]

From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 745
posted      Profile for Christian   Email Christian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome, just awesome. You gotta love Gondolin. I just wish that the fellowship would get back together on an expedition to find the lost city.
From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ermmm, It's not exactly a lost city... Gondolin was destroyed, therefore there wouldn't be much to find []
From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Link
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1859

posted      Profile for Dark Link   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Also, It's location sunk with the rest of Beleriand. I imagine though, that when Beleriand gets raised back up, that it will be rebuilt.
From: Waiting in the Water Temple... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 745
posted      Profile for Christian   Email Christian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the city was destroyed by Morgoth, but perhaps ruins of the city still remain. Also, yes Beleriand was utterly transformed by the War of Wrath, but Middle Earth still has traces of Beleraind and perhaps something is left of the great and ancient city of Turgon. Its a possiblity, right? []
From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cassandra
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1600
posted      Profile for Cassandra   Edit/Delete Post 
You can go explore with submarines and diving gear... []
Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 745
Imagination people, you know if Tolkien came up with the idea and wrote about it, you would love it. []
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, according to some maps the hill of Himring (sp?) survived, and so was an island off the coast of Middle-Earth. If you wanted to, you could imagine that Gondolin remained above water too, since it was in the mountains. []

One of my favorite stories that was published after Tolkien's death is the Fall of Gondolin, either in Lost Tales 1 or 2. I really wish that Tolkien could have completed it (or, I guess I should say made it compatible with the other ME stuff) before his death.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mothgon
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2148
posted      Profile for Mothgon   Email Mothgon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
yes, Gondolin ruled!!

and concerning Tuor's hair, I always imagined he as having black hair, but he was grand-grandson of Hador Goldenhead, so he has a great probability of being blond...

hm, mh... it's hard to believe that this incredible city fell...

From: São Paulo, Brasil, South America, Earth | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
oh that picture was incredibly gorgeous!!! Indeed I cannot find words to say how wonderfully it fit the picture in my mind's eye. Turgon is also one of my favorite characters, and Gondolin was my favorite city in the Silmarillion.
From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mothgon
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2148
posted      Profile for Mothgon   Email Mothgon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
this pic is cool, but the pic of Ulmo in the Sea facing Tuor is awesommely better, IMHO...
From: São Paulo, Brasil, South America, Earth | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luthien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 17
posted      Profile for Luthien   Email Luthien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes, to dwell in Gondolin for a time1 I always envisioned it to be a beautiful mountainous place!
From: Wanderer of Middle Earth | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son_of_Feanor
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3239
posted      Profile for Son_of_Feanor   Email Son_of_Feanor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If the island of Himring survived, would the fortress still be intact around the 3rd age? I mean that was supposed to be a very powerful fortress and imagine all the interesting things you could find there.
Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hurin's fan
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3113
posted      Profile for Hurin's fan   Edit/Delete Post 
I too agree that Gondolin was an incredibly beautiful city. Its great beauty mighthve bee its downfall, because it led to Turogn being overconfident about the strength of the city.

Mothgon Tuor most likely had blonde hair. Thier is a passage where Turin claim that he is not embarrased to have inherited his mother's dark hair unlike Tuor, who has thier grandfather's blonde hair.

From: london | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thier is a passage where Turin claim that he is not embarrased to have inherited his mother's dark hair unlike Tuor, who has thier grandfather's blonde hair.
I seem to vaguely remember that passage, but am at a loss to know where exactly where it is. May set out to find it.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If the island of Himring survived, would the fortress still be intact around the 3rd age?
Since you asked in 2003...

... well I think this is a big if. Tolkien did think so at one point -- that an isle called Himring [Himling on the old map] survived, as well as a huge Isle from a part of Dorthonion -- but I'm not sure he held to this notion.

It did not make it on the map for the first edition, and if that was mere error, it did not make it onto the map for the second edition, nor the version produced by Pauline Baynes -- on which Tolkien did add some new things actually.

The isle of 'Himling' was noted in Unfinished Tales, but it seems to hail from an old map. Treebeard implies that Dorthonion lies beneath the sea, although one could argue that he himself might not be aware of a large isle in any case.

In later writing [to look at texts rather than actual maps] all I can find is the text that includes Tol Morwen.

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Gondolin
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help