profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Question about Miriel Serindé
Author Topic: Question about Miriel Serindé
SamwiseGamgee102
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 984
posted      Profile for SamwiseGamgee102   Email SamwiseGamgee102   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Why did Miriel Serindé died? Did she actually gave all her strengths to her son? And it is written that she wanted to be released from the tiredness of living or something like that, does that mean that even before having her son she felt a strong weariness?
From: Montréal, Québec | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turambar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1168

posted      Profile for Turambar   Author's Homepage   Email Turambar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Can't help you on this mate.

I don't remember reading it.

Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luthien Evenstar
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1243
posted      Profile for Luthien Evenstar   Email Luthien Evenstar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
you are talking about the mother of feanor? what i can remember of it you are right, she gave all her strengh to her son, she suffered a lot in labbor, she went to recover from it in loriem and never woke up again
From: Doriath | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SamwiseGamgee102
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 984
posted      Profile for SamwiseGamgee102   Email SamwiseGamgee102   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's the mother of Fëanor, sorry for not making myself clear. When I read that part, I understood that she gave her strengths to him(or was it only HER own strength?) but the part where it says that she felt tired of living, was it only because of having no strength anymore after the birth of Fëanor?
From: Montréal, Québec | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luthien Evenstar
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1243
posted      Profile for Luthien Evenstar   Email Luthien Evenstar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Samwise, Now you got me, I think she passed all 2her" strengh to Feanor, becaming weak herself.

Ok I've found a descent description about this event -- "Miriel Serinde, The first wife of Finwë and mother of Fëanor; the birth of her mighty son took so much of her spirit that she went to the gardens of Lórien and passed away.2
I've found that on the Encyclopedia Arda
under Miriel Serinde, hope that helps

From: Doriath | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 983

posted      Profile for Narwen   Email Narwen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not only did her fëa pass to the Hall of Mandos, but she refused to come back and be reborn. Finwë was apparently willing to wait for her if she had decided to come, but the Valar cannot make an Elf come back, though they do seem to be able to forbid an Elf to come back, as apparently happened to Fëanor after his death.
Tolkien's rather lengthy, and , at least to me, confusing discussion of this story is in the volume "Morgoth's Ring" in HoME.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Nârwen of the House of Fëanor

Ind ped an ind
"Say this to Manwe Sulimo,High King of Arda:if Fëanor cannot overthrow Morgoth,at least he delays not to assail him,and sits not idle in grief. And it may be that Eru has set in me a fire greater than thou knowest.Such hurt at the least will I do to the Foe of the Valar that even the Mighty in the Ring of Doom shall wonder to hear it.Yea,in the end they shall follow me.Farewell!"

From: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eol the Dark Elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 411

posted      Profile for Eol the Dark Elf   Email Eol the Dark Elf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

But in the bearing of her son Míriel was consumed in spirit and body; and after his birth she yearned for release from the labours of living. Ana when she had named mm, she said to Finwë: 'Never again shall I bear child; for strength that would have nourished the life of many has gone forth into Fëanor.'
Then Finwë was grieved, for the Noldor were in me youth of their days, and he desired to bring forth many children into the Miss of Aman; and he said: 'Surely there is healing in Aman? Here all weariness can find rest.' But when Míriel languished still, Finwë sought the counsel of Manwë, and Manwë delivered her to the care of Irmo in Lórien. At their parting (for a little while as he thought) Finwë was sad, for it seemed an unhappy chance that the mother should depart and miss the beginning at least of the childhood days of her son.
'It is indeed unhappy,' said Míriel, 'and I would weep, if I were not so weary. But hold me blameless in this, and in all that may come after.'

If the spirit of Fëanor was such that his body would be consumed at his death, then it would have been a great task indeed to have given life to him.

It seems alsothat Miriel gave her skill and dexterity of hand to Feanor.

From: Nan Elmoth | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Question about Miriel Serindé
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help