Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » What was Galadriel's Vial? (Page 2)
Author Topic: What was Galadriel's Vial?
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Next he storms Cirith Ungol with it, but then we never hear of its fate?
Yes, it does seem to just exit the tale after that. Never gave it too much thought until now. So a new question....

What Happened To The Phail of Galadriel?

( [] you too tour. Arrowing this got some great replies from Galin & Belthronding)

[ 02-21-2014, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, it does seem to just exit the tale after that
[] Of course it does not exit the tale! []
First, Sam tries to use it in Sammath Naur (the Cracks of Doom), but he fails because it's the most powerful place of Sauron's realm and even Earnedil's light is helpless there.
And then, Frodo takes it to the Undying Lands! As the ship sails away, the light vanishes.
Sorry, I don't have the book with me now, but I hope someone will post suitable quotes from "Mount Doom" and "Grey Havens" chapters.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
We wants it...
We needs it...
We mussst get the preciousss...

From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Been 10 years since I read the books, but yes, I vaguely remember something of it in those chapters. Found my book and am reading it....
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belthronding
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5113
posted      Profile for Belthronding   Email Belthronding   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
From "Mount Doom," TROTK

quote:
In his great need he drew out once more the phial of Galadriel, but it was pale and cold in his trembling hand and threw no light into that stifling dark. He was come to the heart of the realm of Sauron and the forges of his ancient might, greatest in Middle-Earth; all other powers were here subdued.
From "The Grey Havens," TROTK

quote:
Then Frodo kissed Merry and Pippin, and last of all Sam, and went aboard; and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew, and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth, and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore glimmered and was lost.
Interesting how Tolkien notes it was "lost" - as opposed to just gone; as though its presence might be missed by more than just Sam.
From: Boston, MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Belthronding.

quote:
Interesting how Tolkien notes it was "lost" - as opposed to just gone; as though its presence might be missed by more than just Sam.
I think that the phial might symbolise the elves in ME: after Elrond, Galadriel and Cirdan sail away, the Age of Men begins and much of the world's beauty is gone... or lost, as Tolkien would probably say [] .
I understand 'lost' as 'never to return' in this context. At the beginning, the beauty of the Elves will be missed - by Sam, Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, maybe Merry and Pippin too. But later those people either die or sail away - and the beauty is forgotten, and thus 'lost'.

E:typo

[ 03-17-2014, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Gollum Gollum ]

From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » What was Galadriel's Vial? (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help