Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » What style of dance did Luthien use? (Page 2)
Author Topic: What style of dance did Luthien use?
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My, what a loverly green feather Beren has in his hat! []

No wonder he was hiding out. The Elvish Fashion Squad would have had him arrested on sight! []

From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
...kinda like Robin Hood visiting the beer garden of the strip club of Nottingham...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
You're suggesting Luthien did a TABLE-dance?
From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Or, mayhaps a pole dance.... []
From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Beren's pole.... []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely adore that picture, Snowy.
Varna PM'ed it to me last week when I was wanting Lúthien pictures for my avatar.
If it were a rated G or PG picture it would be my avatar.
As it is, if I ever get my home computer up and running again (with Web Access) it will become my wallpaper.
So be nice.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Don't say we have come now to the end; White shores are calling.
You and I will meet again.
Across the sea a pale moon rising; the ships have come to carry you home.
And all will turn to silver glass; A light on the water
Grey Ships pass into the West.

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow, I can't imagine Edith Bratt showing herself in that way - not even to her Ronald. []
From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tar-Aldarion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5396
posted      Profile for Tar-Aldarion   Author's Homepage   Email Tar-Aldarion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
think she was dancing a nordic folkdance. (or not)

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
For the less even as for the greater there is some deed that he may accomplish but once only; and in that deed his heart shall rest.

— Fëanor, from the Quenta Silmarillion.

From: Norway | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, I must say that if you take two seconds to actualy look at Beren's expression, specialy his eyes, you will realise that whoever the artist is, he's a good one []
It would have been more discriptive only if Beren was painted drooling.

Now about the dance.
Call me crazy but I thought that Luthien didn't dance in any style. She was a child of an elf and a Maia, she danced to the sound of nature herself, the wind, the water were her music. So I always figured her doing an dance of improvisation, full of harmony and serenity, something that would be enchanting because it was hypnotising and dominating, and not because it inspired lust.

I mean, comme on have you never danced in a forest? You just follow the ground and the music of your soul.

From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Aye Arien, but that is not to say it couldn't inspire lust in Beren's eyes.
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, Snowdog. I am having a hard time accepting that any character of Tolkien has ever felt lust for a woman he was interested in. He -Tolkien- depicts things so .... romantic, even though that's not the right word.

His couples have great love between them but none has great passion, safe Turin and his sister.
The expression I would have given Beren would be more like the one of a child who just saw it's first magic trick, admiration, happyness and a shade of doubt of the "can this be real" style.

Then again, if we want to be practical here, a man doesn't desire a woman unless he feels lust for her, therefore you have a point []

From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

I agree with you're saying that Tolkien depicts things so romantic and pure.
So they courted for 12 years, finally kissing once and having sex once, conceiving Dior.

Q
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5312
posted      Profile for Q   Email Q   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I bet it was alot darker when she danced and she had to sing her way around in order to avoid trees and rocks. Luckily Beren was a rock hunter, so he smashed any before they could harm her. He was so good at this that she didn't see him.
From: LOS ANGELES, CA. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Where in Eru's name do you get all those brainlessly silly ideas?
From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

More fine artistic interpretations of Luthien...

-

I like this next one except for the exaggerated Spock-ear sticking through the hair...

-

[ 10-10-2014, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

....... and Luthien when Beren sees her ...

-

-

-

-

Thanks much to Lady Elisa Navacchi for sharing her fine photo-art!

The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, Snowdog has the moderators scratching their heads. . .

quote:
Yeah, Beren's pole.... []

From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

[] That was so 8 years ago.
Had to do with this disgusting Rolozo "art" pic.

[ 10-12-2014, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » What style of dance did Luthien use? (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help