Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » What style of dance did Luthien use? (Page 1)
Author Topic: What style of dance did Luthien use?
Ensa Lucis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 596
posted      Profile for Ensa Lucis   Email Ensa Lucis   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This question probably belongs more to the Library Council, but it might be better off here:
What style of dance did Luthien use?

To be honest, I am thinking the evidence points to a sort of modern tap. Her father being a famous elven king would mean that she would have had a great deal of classical influence, and her mother being a maia could have magicked her a pair of magic dancing tap shoes.

Obviously, it is unwise to discount breakdancing, as the phat beats were kicking it back in the day of the second age in Middle Earth. Man. However one has to take into consideration that hip-hop was still in its earliest and dreadful forms, as anyone who has heard various selections of Bilbo's poetry set to breakbeats will know.

When Beren finally found her, she may have switched her style to something more seductive, but we must also take into account the fact that she may have danced with him as well. An improvised tango set to the music of the wild wood is how I picture it - an improptu orchestra of beavers wildly begin to play amid chaotic dance steps between the trees.

Tolkien is rumoured to have based the whole Beren/Tinuviel event on a real life event where his future wife danced for him in the forest. This would have been somewhere between the 20s and 40s, which implies the dancing style used is some terrible 30s swing dance from the depression. Oh dear.

From: England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1049

posted      Profile for Coriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
LOL. New as I am, somehow I don't think it would fit in the Library.
From: Rolla, Missouri, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 983

posted      Profile for Narwen   Email Narwen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm.... Tolkien got married in the 1910's (1914, I think.) Slightly before the time period you are postulating !

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Nârwen of the House of Fëanor

Ind ped an ind
"Say this to Manwe Sulimo,High King of Arda:if Fëanor cannot overthrow Morgoth,at least he delays not to assail him,and sits not idle in grief. And it may be that Eru has set in me a fire greater than thou knowest.Such hurt at the least will I do to the Foe of the Valar that even the Mighty in the Ring of Doom shall wonder to hear it.Yea,in the end they shall follow me.Farewell!"

From: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ensa Lucis
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 596
posted      Profile for Ensa Lucis   Email Ensa Lucis   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
1910 - 1930

what's twenty years among friends?

From: England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1049

posted      Profile for Coriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 

From: Rolla, Missouri, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haldir
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1134
posted      Profile for Haldir   Email Haldir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was a combination of Tapdancing and Headbanging
From: Arnhem, the Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eorl the Young
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 843
posted      Profile for Eorl the Young   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A seducing ballet!
From: Denmark, home of the highest mountains in Europe | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haldir
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1134
posted      Profile for Haldir   Email Haldir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we all know that the second time, Beren called Luthien by the name he had made for her: Tinuviél, wich means Nightingale. So obviously Luthieen was making bird-movements, like fladdering with the arms etc
From: Arnhem, the Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like to believe she danced more exotic, like an Arabic harem type dance, which were quite hot even at the turn of the (last) century.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aramantha
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1252
posted      Profile for Aramantha   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Definately a free-movement style of ballet...
With Luthian wearing a long flowing dress...
But would Beren have worn the tights?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
~*A*~

The road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the road has gone,
And I must follow if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Untill it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

From: North Farthing | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luthien Evenstar
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1243
posted      Profile for Luthien Evenstar   Email Luthien Evenstar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
actually our Aramantha is wrong
quote:
With Luthian wearing a long flowing dress...

not realy...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
• "....For mine is the choice of Luthien" ..... "both the sweet and the bitter"

From: Doriath | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galion The Tipsy Butler
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1152

posted      Profile for Galion The Tipsy Butler   Email Galion The Tipsy Butler   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
WooHooo! *wolf whistles*
I didn't know they had Victoria's Secret in Middle Earth!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"There's been talk of some strange folk about. Can't be too careful."

Urp!

From: The Castle ...Aaaaaarrrrrg! | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eol the Dark Elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 411

posted      Profile for Eol the Dark Elf   Email Eol the Dark Elf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.minastirith.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000015&p=
From: Nan Elmoth | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinelwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 261

posted      Profile for Tinelwen   Email Tinelwen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I remember this picture! Luthien the harlot and Beren the peeping tom! lol

Wow! I didn't know that thread was still around, Eol! It was one of the first topics I ever started.

From: neither here nor there | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luthien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 17
posted      Profile for Luthien   Email Luthien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This is good! Being a bellydancer, I always thought the dance to be like a semi-Saharan exotic dance, though with considerably more clothes than shown in that awful pic....many layers of flowing silk. []
From: Wanderer of Middle Earth | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erinti
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3470

posted      Profile for Erinti   Email Erinti   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought it was something like modern dance, Martha Graham style more precisely... That kind of dance could have been delicate, expressive and seductive all in one.
From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Some relevant quotes can be found in this thread: Elvish Dance ...
Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lúthien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2934

posted      Profile for Lúthien   Author's Homepage   Email Lúthien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, we all know that the second time, Beren called Luthien by the name he had made for her: Tinuviél, wich means Nightingale. So obviously Luthieen was making bird-movements, like fladdering with the arms etc
The Chicken Dance????!!!
From: Raleigh | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ilye
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3521
posted      Profile for Ilye   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Heh thats funny.... I think something exotic, Asian, gypsy ect.
the chicken dance...thats great.....heh....
btw, I'm new here. greetings, all.

From: On the move....... | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erinti
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3470

posted      Profile for Erinti   Email Erinti   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
In some of the references in the thread to which Maerbenn gave the link, it is said that the dance required swiftness of feet. This seems to point to some kind of barefoot flamenco. []
From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes.. the Luthien dance.... []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As a middle eastern dancer who has spent some time studying the traditional roots of many dance styles.... I actually imagine that Luthien's dance would have the wild, free, flowing character of Rom dancing. It is unchoreographed, unstructured, and a blend of passion and life and grace with strength and beauty.
From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vardamir Nolimon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5307
posted      Profile for Vardamir Nolimon   Email Vardamir Nolimon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that you're right Elora.

Though a part of me does want to think of it as her version of the Safety Dance -- just without the dwarves and the maypole. []

-

[ 03-25-2006, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: Vardamir Nolimon ]

From: City on a Hill | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
Well it WAS by a River....
From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

... just to torture everyone...

... seriously... THAT is quite hideous...

on the other hand.... here is a fairly good artistic presentation of Luthien:

-

[ 10-10-2014, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » What style of dance did Luthien use? (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help