Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Why did Sauron put his power into the Ring?
Author Topic: Why did Sauron put his power into the Ring?
erinhue
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 47

posted      Profile for erinhue   Author's Homepage   Email erinhue   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have always wondered about this. If Sauron had all this power to start with why would he put so much of it into a ring? OK the One Ring rulled the others but if it got its power from Sauron couldnt he have ruled the rings without it?

------------------
-Erinhue of Belfalas

"All for one and the one is me" - Me

From: East of Ground Zero | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roland
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 218

posted      Profile for Roland   Author's Homepage   Email Roland   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose that the only way to control the other rings was to make a link to those other rings, so then he would have to make the one ring to do that. Apparently he was not capable of ruling the other rings without one of his own, which is why he did what he did. That is just my thought on the matter.

------------------

"The night is almost gone, and the day is at hand. Let us therefore lay aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light."
Romans 13:12

From: The greatest nation on God's green Earth | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it acted as some sort of amplifier to a specific type of power. Perhaps there was something elven about the ring of power. Perhaps the elves taught Sauron a thing or two about elven magic, which allowed him to tap into and over ride the wills of those wearing the other rings.

It takes a ring to control a ring! Just like it takes a palantir to communicate with another palantir. Like speaks to like!

Have I rambled enough?

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But to achieve this he had been obligded to let a great part of his own inherent power pass in to the one ring. While he wore it his power on earth was actually enhanced. But even if he did not wear it that power existed and was in rapport with himself; he was not diminished....This was the essential weakness he had introduced into his situation in his effort ( largely unsucessful ) to enslave the Elves and in his desire to establish a control over the minds and wills of his servants.(letter 131)

From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
posted      Profile for Imbëar   Author's Homepage   Email Imbëar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Fingolfin.

Opinion below:
If we consider the Elven rings to be a creation similar to the Silmarils, a nice parallel arises.

Fëanor attempts to "capture" or enhance the exquisite beauty native to Arda. This act, while a tribute like unto Aulë's, is still a vain attempt at stamping one's mark on the Creation. It is willful, flying too close to the sun - literally, the fire of the Jewels burns as would the daystar.

The magic rings, likewise, are at first a pure craft which sustains and heals and enhances the glory of Arda. But again, there is the desire to somehow control and "own," as well as heal, the material world.

This desire is fostered in the Elves. The shadow enters their hearts, their culture. Therefore, they effectively create the snare that binds them. It is an ancient lesson: the most effective weapon to be used against you, will be the one you make. Sauron embodies this lesson. From an objective view, the Elves destroy themselves. Of course, they get rid of the Rings when they realize what has happened; we do notice, however, that Sauron exists "roughly" the same amount of time that the last of the Elven rings exist.

Carl Jung describes the Shadow, the darkest aspect of our Self or Ego, as the most easily accessed and simultaneously the most difficult to overcome. Because the Shadow is carried, from war to war, ring to ring, there is never any true escape - save death only.

Whatever we do, whatever we make, the moment we love it too much or are unable to cast away the "treasure" at need - that is the appointment of the hour of our Doom.

Imbëar

From: Auburn, CA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dingalen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 330
posted      Profile for Dingalen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nicely phrased. I like your comment on the dark side of the desire to heal and preserve. I think it captures an important philosophical aspect of the making and the interrelation of the rings!

But as far as I remember, the elves learned from Sauron. So he provided them with tools to create the rings. The desire to preserve was theirs, but the ability to create the rings as tools for healing & preservation was partially from the dark lord.

The message I would read into this, is that dreams are good and beautiful, but that it might be unnatural to make some of them come true - thereby creating evil.

From: Somewhere in the Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nienna the Weeper
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 364

posted      Profile for Nienna the Weeper   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Are you the same erinhue from TORC?

------------------
For we are but Atani and Death is our fate. Such is the Gift of Iluvatar. - For Arra, a truly wonderful person.

From: Why are you looking down here? | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think she is Nienna...
From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Why did Sauron put his power into the Ring?
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help