Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » The Final Battle?
Author Topic: The Final Battle?
Gothmog35
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 902
posted      Profile for Gothmog35   Email Gothmog35   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey does anyone know if there is any litterature that dedicates any length of converation on the last battle, when Melkor shall return or at least have an educated theory on such? thanks.
Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC is there no such thing. Only short references in one of the HoME volumes and in UT.
From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No, I wish he wouldv'e gotten around to writing about the final battle, it wouldve been so awesome!
From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gothmog35
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 902
posted      Profile for Gothmog35   Email Gothmog35   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. It would have been incredible. It is almost enough to want someone to continue Tolkiens works...........almost!

Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going from very hazy memory, but I believe I read somewhere that Ar-Pharazon's troops were supposed to return for the final battle, and in Book of Lost Tales II it mentions Tuor the Blacksword returning to the final battle.
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That would be cousin Turin and his black sword.

Tuor used the axe.

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dingalen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 330
posted      Profile for Dingalen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As far as my weak memory recollects, that was changed to Tulkas finally casting down Morgoth. In UT, methinks. Turin Mormegil was from an older draft in LT II.
From: Somewhere in the Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well Tuor is right that it is Turin the Blacksword (Gurthang)

and Tuor used an axe (Dramborleg)

I'm trying to find as much information possible about the prophecy of Mandos, does anyone know where I might find something?

From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This legendrium ends with a vision of the end of the world its braeking and remaking and the recovery of the silmarils and the light before the Sun--after a final battle which owes more to the norse vision of ragnaruk than to anything else though it is not much like it.(letter 131)

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Fingolfin of the Noldor on 10-03-2001 at </font>

This message has been edited by Fingolfin of the Noldor on 10-03-2001 at

From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind the second prophacy of Mandos was only present in the most early manuscripts of the QS in short it was dropped
http://www.minastirith.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000012.html

From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

Hmmm, that is definitely exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Fingy

I am in the middle of reading "The Shaping of Middle-Earth" right now, and I'm about to reach that very page

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » The Final Battle?
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help