Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » explain earendil vs. alglacon(spelling??)...
Author Topic: explain earendil vs. alglacon(spelling??)...
Lord of the Nazgul
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 534
posted      Profile for Lord of the Nazgul   Author's Homepage   Email Lord of the Nazgul   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
can some onne explain to me how alglacon was defeated by earendel???

then i can delete the topic...

------------------
You dare stand in front of the Lord of the Nazgul!

From: Somewhere in Iowa | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinelwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 261

posted      Profile for Tinelwen   Email Tinelwen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
An excellent question. Wish I could tell you the answer.
The Silm doesn't go into much detail though.

From: neither here nor there | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to read it to be certain, but I think it has to do with a topic common in Tolkien's writings: fate/destiny.
It was Ancalagon's fate to be killed by Earendil. It was Earendil's fate to kill Ancalagon, reach Valinor etc.

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthelion of the Fountain
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 809
posted      Profile for Ecthelion of the Fountain   Email Ecthelion of the Fountain   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, I believe Earendilyon's description is correct. However, if you are looking for a desription of the fight, I do not believe there is one in published existance. But, who knows what is in Tolkien's unpublished notes.

But we all know Eärendil was an excellent warrior and was classified as one of the Eldar. Presumably, as one of the Eldar, he would have an Elven blade. Elven blades are forged with magic and are able to pierce almost any armour.

Most likely, Eärendil used his excellent skill to avoid and manæuver Ancalagon into a position where he could stab Ancalagon's eyes or slice through a weak point on his armour.

Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 371
posted      Profile for cian   Edit/Delete Post 
A note concerning the fate of Túrin states that it was his [Túrins] fate to 'return from the dead' and slay Ancalagon. Obviously its Eärendil in the published Silmarillion, Christopher Tolkien following all the 'early texts', but I just thought I'd toss that in.
Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » explain earendil vs. alglacon(spelling??)...
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help