Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Greatest of the Noldor King (Page 1)
Author Topic: Greatest of the Noldor King
Eregion
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 741
posted      Profile for Eregion   Email Eregion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was just interested in what you guys think who was the greatest noldorian king. In my opinion it has to be either Fingolfin or Gil-Galad. Fingolfin was the only elf with the guts to take on Morgoth in single comabt. Gil-Galad took on one of the most powerful maia in sauron in combat which lead to saurons defeat in the second age. what do you guys think?
Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
silver0163
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 69
posted      Profile for silver0163   Email silver0163   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Fingolfin was a weakling. Gil-galad is the man.
Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celedaen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 513
posted      Profile for Celedaen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Gil-Galad is an elf! And a weakling takes on the Dark Lord, gives him seven very painful wounds and chops off part of his left foot _and_ it takes _three_ blows to kill him? And he's a _weakling_?!??!? I'd like to see you try that!!! I'd say a lot more, but I'm too incoherent with rage!
From: Somewhere in Arda | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'll go with Finarfin. He kept a rational mind when others lost theirs. He looked out for his people. Fighting Morgoth without the aid of the Valar was a losing proposition.

Finarfin was able to resist Feanor's delisions and keep a level mind. It is easy to loose your mind and do rash things out of an emotional state. It is difficult to keep a sane mind at such times.

Finarfin not only saved himself and those that would stay with him from fighting the long defeat, he also saved them from butchering their own.

Finarfin may not have been fancy, but he was definitely the Greatest of the Noldor Kings.

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Midus unknown
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 358
posted      Profile for Midus unknown   Email Midus unknown   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Fingolfin rules!!!
From: once i lived in the land of mirkwood but now i travel the world | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turin Turambar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 297
posted      Profile for Turin Turambar   Email Turin Turambar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
FINGOLFIN(TOLKIEN SAID HE WAS THE GREATEST ANYWAY) AND TUOR GREATEST IS TOO BIG A PANZY TO FIGHT

*just joking bout the panzy thing, so dont hurt me

Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Illuvatar
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 444
posted      Profile for Illuvatar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Unless I missed something, from what I read Feanor was the greatest of the Noldor in strength and skill anyway. If I find the exact quote I'll post it here. He never was a king though

------------------
I am.

Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

That is the exact answer I would expect out of the son of Hurin, but then you go and mess it all up with the 'don't hurt me' thing.

Come on are you Turin or not?

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
According to chapter 13 Feranor was the mightiest of the Noldor

quote:
Thus ended the mightiest of the Noldor, of whose deeds came both their greatest renown and their most grievous woe.

From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

Yes,

But causing their greatest woe I believe puts a huge chink in his armor for the claim of 'Greatest of the Noldor Kings'.

Thanks for the quote Fingolfin.

LOTR Reader
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 656
posted      Profile for LOTR Reader   Email LOTR Reader   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Tuor, he did get a big chink in his amour for leading them away from the Valar and making them swear an oath.

------------------
Aragorn The Ranger

From: Manhattan,Kansas,USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turin Turambar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 297
posted      Profile for Turin Turambar   Email Turin Turambar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Huh, u couldnt hurt me if u tried Tuor, ur just a panzy!!
Ereinion_Gil-Galad
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 753
posted      Profile for Ereinion_Gil-Galad   Email Ereinion_Gil-Galad   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Chapter 18 Simarillion:

Thus died Fingolfin, High King of the Noldor, most proud and valiant of the Elven-Kings of old.

My vote goes for Fingolfin

Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol Greymantel
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 368
posted      Profile for Thingol Greymantel   Author's Homepage   Email Thingol Greymantel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think Fëanor can claim the title of mightiest king and Fingolfin of most valiant.

------------------
elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo - a star shines on the hour of our meeting.

From: Leuven, vlaams brabant, Belgium | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

That's more like it Turin!!!
Gandalf Greyhame
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 747

posted      Profile for Gandalf Greyhame   Author's Homepage   Email Gandalf Greyhame   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I say Fingolfin! Of course Fëanor was also very great...

------------------
Lou

From: Minas Illinois | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turin Turambar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 297
Feanor was probably the greatest Noldor, but he was never a king, therefore he cant vote for him, so u might as well start another thread saying how good a king feanor would have been
Ereinion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 757
posted      Profile for Ereinion   Email Ereinion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Feanor was the king of noldor(after the death of Finwe, but not acknowledged by all the Noldor; many took Fingolfin as their lord)
In my opinion the greatest was Finwe.

From: Slovenia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mellon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 402
posted      Profile for Mellon   Email Mellon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Feanor was not a king, therefor IMO disqualified from this particular thread.
Gil-galad weilded one of The Three Rings and led the Last Alliance of Elves and Men against Mordor and the rule of Sauron. Now that is vote-worthy.

------------------
the takers get the honey
givers sing the blues

This message has been edited by Mellon on 08-02-2001 at

From: houston, tx usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nienna the Weeper
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 364

posted      Profile for Nienna the Weeper   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to say Finrod but he wasn't High King. The obvious choice is Fingolfin however, I'm going to say Gil-Galad.

------------------
For we are but Atani and death is our Fate. Such is the gift of Iluvatar.

From: Why are you looking down here? | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mellon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 402
posted      Profile for Mellon   Email Mellon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
the votes are coming in and the race for greatest KING is on:

Gil-galad - 3
Finarfin - 1
Fingolfin - 4
Finwe - 1
To all you Feanor fans, show me where it states that he was a king and I shall add his double dealing, backstabbing, kinslaying, selfserving, arogant self to the list.

------------------
the takers get the honey
givers sing the blues

From: houston, tx usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nienna the Weeper
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 364

posted      Profile for Nienna the Weeper   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one, Mellon.

------------------
For we are but Atani and death is our Fate. Such is the gift of Iluvatar.

From: Why are you looking down here? | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eol the Dark Elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 411

posted      Profile for Eol the Dark Elf   Email Eol the Dark Elf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Though not a particular Feanorian fan, I don't see why he wouldn't have become High King after the death of Finwe, he was the eldest and it's hardly likely to propose that he would have not accepted the title (or even if he had it would have least have been noteworthy) and I see little reason as to why he would have, Maedhros I can understand because if anything else Fingolfin was so much older and would pretty much have unofficially held the title of High King anyway. Though I still haven't found hard evidence (although the Encylopedia of Arda does state that he was (though briefly) High King of the Noldor).. still though no quote...

P.S Does anyone know why the title passed from Fingon to Turgon - was this just because Gil-galad was relatively young at the time?

From: Nan Elmoth | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eol the Dark Elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 411

posted      Profile for Eol the Dark Elf   Email Eol the Dark Elf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
To contest my point , in the index to the Silm. the five High Kings of whom there is no doubt, have their titles expressly stated in their description (excepting Turgon, but Gil-galad's entry practically compensates): For Feanor only 'leader' is used in talking of the rebellion, but his 'kingship' is not mentioned.
From: Nan Elmoth | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jediguy
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 763
posted      Profile for jediguy   Author's Homepage   Email jediguy   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My vote goes to Fingolfin.
From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Greatest of the Noldor King (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help