profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Dragons
Author Topic: Dragons
Glaurung
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 707

posted      Profile for Glaurung   Email Glaurung   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Dragons have always been a mystery... who made them? Where did they all come from? Here is a good place to discuss dragons and their origins.
From: Angband | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Do you want to discuss the dragons in Tolkien's books, or dragons in general?

If the first, then read the Silm.
If the second, then ask someone else

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Earendilyon,

He or she has at least heard of one dragon from the Silmarillion.

Glaurung,

There is a thread already about dragons you will have to reset the setting to show all threads. I believe it is on the second page, but it could be on the third. But if you have more questions then by all means post them. There are many here who's pool of Tolkien knowledge runs very deep. OK there are at least a few, I'm not counting myself among them by any means.

This message has been edited by Tuor on 07-20-2001 at

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nor do we, Tuor!

The thread you mentioned is one of my own, I had completely forgot it! Shame on me!!!

This is the thread you're looking for, Glaurung!

This message has been edited by Earendilyon on 07-20-2001 at

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galdor of the Tree
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 260
posted      Profile for Galdor of the Tree   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Dragons? Evil little buggers aren't they. Good thing I saved you, Earendilyon, from that one by impaling it with my spear eh?
From: New Haven, CT | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
An early theory of mine:

REPOST:

-----------------

The Book of Lost Tales 2 pg86 Ballantine ed.:

quote:

Now those drakes anf worms are the evillest creature that Melko has made, and the most uncouth, yet of all are they the most powerful, save it be the Balrogs only. A great cunning and wisdom have they... ...for it[the blood of dragons] is as poison of fires that slays all save the most godlike in strength. How so that may be, even as their lord these foul beasts love lies and lust after gold and precious things with a great fierceness of desire, albeit thay may not use nor enjoy them...

pg 97:

quote:

are cold as is tha nature of snakes and serpents, and of them a many having wings with the utmost noise and speed; but the mightier are hot and very heavy and slow-going, and some belch flame, and fire flickereth beneath their scales, and the lust and greed and cunning evil of these is the greatest of all creatures: such was the Foaloke whose burning there set all the places of hie habitation in waste and desolation...

pg 145

quote:

among Melko's many dragons some were smaller, cold like snake, and of these many were flying creatures; while others, the mightier, were hot and heavy, fire-dragons...

The Lost Road and other Writings pg 26 Ballantine ed:

quote:

...by many evil things that Morgoth had made in the days of his dominion: demons and dragons and monsters, and Orcs, that are mockaries of the creatures of Iluvatar...

As you can see Dragons are very often compared to snakes and serpents and according to the last quote they, among others, were mockeries of the creatures of Ilvatar.
This being true I believe dragons were snakes altered and twisted by morgoth for his own designs which is supported by the fact the first dragons were most like snakes in that htey did not have wings but as Morgoth continued to adjust the design they continued to change:

snakes/other reptiles--*-->fire dragons--->cold winged dragons--->winged fire dragons

as you can see the logic of evolving forms does fit rather well.

*[non-fire dragons perhaps(but since they really didn't have an attack were not utilized except to be built upon)--->]

From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glaurung
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 707

posted      Profile for Glaurung   Email Glaurung   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Going back to your question Earendilyon, I was going to talk about Tolkien's dragons seeing that I was talking about it in the Silmarillion forum. The only dragons I have heard of are Ancalagon, Glaurung, Smaug and Scatha.
From: Angband | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glaurung
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 707

Earendilyon, how do you know whether I've read the Silm. or not?
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There is a gd dragon in Farmer Giles of Ham, Chrysophylax Dives.

In China, where dinosaur fossils are common, they used to call them 'dragons' bones', prob orig an attempt to work out what kind of creature could have produced such remains. In a similar way, the myth of the one-eyed cyclops may have arisen in the Greek islands becos of the bones of prehistoric elephants fnd there (elephant skulls look like they have an eye-hole in the centre of the fore-head - actually the nasal cavity).

------------------
Whereas the light perceives the very heart of the darkness, its own secret has not been discovered.

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

Glaurung, I thought you would want to know more about Tolkien's dragons, so I pointed you to the Silm, where there's all the info on them I know. Mb I should have pointed you also to UT and HoMe, but I don't know whether they have more info on the dragons than the Silm.
I'm sorry if I offended you.

Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda interesting:

quote:
Have I said anything to suggest the final ending of dragons? If so it should be altered. The only passage I can think of is Vol. I p. 70 : 'there is not now any dragon left on earth in which the old fire is hot enough'. But that implies, I think, that there are still dragons, if not of full primeval stature.(letter 144)

From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glaurung
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 707

No offense taken, Earendilyon
Orome
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 108
posted      Profile for Orome   Author's Homepage   Email Orome   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the info guys

------------------
Orome
And Justice For All!!!
(all those who deserve it anyway)

From: Somewhere east of the brandywine | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erati
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 735
posted      Profile for Erati   Email Erati   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Theres a book called J.R.R Tolkein and it has a whole chapter on dragons. you ppl should cheak it out!
From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glaurung
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 707

What's the ISBN for this book you're talking about Erati?
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Dragons
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help