Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » If the Sil were made into a movie... (Page 2)
Author Topic: If the Sil were made into a movie...
Annatar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 643
posted      Profile for Annatar   Author's Homepage   Email Annatar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You most certainly can, LotR Reader!

I have always wanted to make film adaptations of everything Tolkien wrote. Because of how strongly his works hold to the format of the "tale" they would easily translate into film.

As for the Music of the Aniur, in the films I would compose or have composed at least a section of it (since I think part of the grandure of it is that it is something that the human mind cannot grasp in its entirity) and use that music as the score for tH, tLotR, and the Sil. To me that would make sense, considering the fact that the Music is the totality of the World's existance from begining to end. The Music must, therefore, already contain the "score" for the Whole of the History of Middle-earth.

Anyway, I still have the dream.

------------------
"And there was Silence in the House of Judgement" - Oscar Wilde
From the play, "Gross Indecencies: The Three Trials of Oscar Wilde"

From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ockle Burr
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 550

posted      Profile for Ockle Burr   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need 30 hours... I think it could be done in half that...

I see it as seven movies, though I'm having trouble with three of them...

1. The Music of the Ainur to the chaining of Melkor
I would give creation up to 15 minutes, and I'd rely heavily on animation and a brilliant score. This story needs to center on the Valar. The creation of Dwarves, the coming of elves and the "creation" of Orcs needs to be told here, as well as the coming of the Noldor to Aman. Thingol and Melian must be introduced. This would be one of the harder films to make.

2. Of Fëanor (The Silmarils)
This movie will tell the tale of the elves among the Valar. Fëanor will be the central character. The film will follow his life up to his death.

3. The Two Cities
Herein would be told the tale of the the march across the ice up to the founding of Nargothrond and Gondolin. The movie would end with the fourth great battle. This movie would be the hardest to pull together into one unit. Gondolin would probably have to be the focus, but since their foundings are linked, they belong in one movie.

4. Beren and Luthien (Doriath)
Here would be told the story of the Girdle of Doriath (which would have been mentioned in the last film) up to the end of the tale of Beren and Luthien.

5. Túrin Turambar
This would make the best of the seven films, and, were I making them, I would be building everything to this climax. This story is written in the Silmarillion aand Unfinished Tales in great detail. It would begin with the fifth battle and move toward Túrin's death.

6. The Ruin of Doriath
This film would suffer problems opposite of the first and third film. From what I know, there is little written material on this subject. However, since not much has been told of the Dwarves, this is a good way to explore their history. After sitting down and writing all of these films, it may be found that this story could be told as part of that of Beren and Luthien (though that would make the tale of Túrin more of an aside).

7. Of Tuor and the fall of Goldolin
Once again, thanks to UT, we have a complete story here. The end would be that of the Silmarillion proper: the voyage of Eärendil.

Thus, seven films could tell the tale of the Silmarillion (an eighth and ninth would tell of Numenor and of the rings of power, though I set out only to tell the tale of the first age).

From: Connecticut, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Sword
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 772

posted      Profile for The Black Sword   Email The Black Sword   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Then why not lead right up to the Lord of the rings ??? This would make a great TV Series, Email TNT or someone

------------------
"The doom lies in yourself, not in your name"

From: Nargothrond | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turin Turambar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 297
posted      Profile for Turin Turambar   Email Turin Turambar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ockle Burr i c u ave given musc thought into this, and the way u propose it, it could be done, but be VERY diffucult to do and would take a life time to achieve, but i would c it(or buy it)
Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ockle Burr
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 550

posted      Profile for Ockle Burr   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The question is: "Would you FUND it?"

Those pointy elf ears don't pay for themselves.

From: Connecticut, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turin Turambar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 297
posted      Profile for Turin Turambar   Email Turin Turambar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That would be part of the diffucult part, but if PJs lotr movies do extremly well, u have a chance at it
Turin Turambar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 297
That would be part of the diffucult part, but if PJs lotr movies do extremly well, u have a chance at it
Gothmog35
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 902
posted      Profile for Gothmog35   Email Gothmog35   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ockle Burr, you have my vote for President.I have thought about that too and it would be AWESOME. It would have to be done by a Tolkien extremist though because these stories are not as mainstream as the LOTR. Maybe someday(sigh).
Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think that if it was produced properly (read 'nothing to do with PJ & gang), The Silmarillion would make a good multi-part series where you could break the tales up into parts. The formula worked well for Game of Thrones, but not so well for the Legend of the Seeker. Of course It would be hard to budget, and there is the risk of cancellation if it was the latter format.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angathas
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1319
posted      Profile for Angathas   Author's Homepage   Email Angathas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
One of the better ways to making The Silmarillion into a film is to do it the way Hollywood attempts to film The Bible. Has anyone seen John Huston's film of the Bible? Well, that's how I can envisioned The Sil. being done correctly. The Creation part took around 15 minutes, then it went into Adam + Eve, Cain + Abel, Noah and the Ark (takes up 45 minutes), Tower of Babel, then the main part of the film is about Abraham. It ends with Isaac as a child.

It could be a three hour film max. Concentrate on the fall of Numenor, and the tales that involve Tuor, Turin, Feanor, Fingolfin

From: Staten Island, New York 10306 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 

[ 08-24-2016, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Mithrennaith ]

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That would not be a movie of the Bible, Angathas, but only a movie of Genesis. There are 65 more books in a common Christian Bible, not counting Apocrypha/Deuterocanonicals. Even if you restrict yourself to the more historical books of the Old Testament that still amounts to about twenty. The Silmarillion may not be as large as the Bible, but the extent and variety of its (hi)stories is wider than that of a single Bible book, or even the historical parts of the whole Torah.

Hollywood has made movies of Genesis, on Moses, David, Solomon, Jesus, Paul, Peter and various other key protagonists, but never of the whole Bible, or the whole Old or New Testament or even the Torah.

So, though its treatment of the Bible may suggest various possible approaches to filming The Silmarillion, it doesn’t provide a comparable model. And I would be wary of any Hollywood-like approach to The Silmarillion, certainly in the way Hollywood works at present.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I am in too great doubt to rule. To prepare or to let be? To prepare for war, which is yet only guessed: train craftsmen and tillers in the midst of peace for bloodspilling and battle: put iron in the hands of greedy captains who will love only conquest, and count the slain as their glory? Will they say to Eru: At least your enemies were amongst them? Or to fold hands, while friends die unjustly: let men live in blind peace, until the ravisher is at the gate? What then will they do: match naked hands against iron and die in vain, or flee leaving the cries of women behind them? Will they say to Eru: At least I spilled no blood?
'When either way may lead to evil, of what worth is choice? Let the Valar rule under Eru!
- Tar Meneldur [UT 2 II:173-174]

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » If the Sil were made into a movie... (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help