Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » If the Sil were made into a movie... (Page 1)
Author Topic: If the Sil were made into a movie...
Evenspire
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 689
posted      Profile for Evenspire   Email Evenspire   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Are there some epics that would be good strung together, and others that would have to stand alone?

One film of the entire work would run on and on like FANTASIA, and some audience members might not be able to follow. Unless?

From: U | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It wouldn't work, the silm is not really a story as much as a symnphosis of the first two ages. More likened to a textbook then anything else.
From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roland
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 218

posted      Profile for Roland   Author's Homepage   Email Roland   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, the style in which Tolkien wrote the Sil is like a textbook or actually a history book. It wouldn't unfold very well into a movie.

------------------
Some choices are wrong.

From: The greatest nation on God's green Earth | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turin Turambar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 297
posted      Profile for Turin Turambar   Email Turin Turambar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, u would have to simply make parts of it into a movie
In Fact a movvie is beingmade based upon part of the sil, its going to be called Ancanar, Ancanar.com, It supposed to be about Gondolin.

Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warg
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 67

posted      Profile for Warg   Email Warg   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of. It is not as much about the Silm as you think. All it is about is a man or some thing who is seeking the Elves to save his village or something. The premmece excapes me for the moment.

------------------
He that knows no history is doomed to repeat it!

From: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagor Aglareb
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 703
posted      Profile for Dagor Aglareb   Email Dagor Aglareb   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If the Sil was ever to be transformed
into a movie, presenting it as a documentry
would allow a broader story line. It could jump from one history to another, enabling it
to move from various beginnings to various ends.

From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagor Aglareb
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 703
posted      Profile for Dagor Aglareb   Email Dagor Aglareb   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If the Sil was ever to be transformed
into a movie, presenting it as a documentry
would allow a broader story line. It could jump from one history to another, enabling it to move from various beginnings to various ends.

From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turin Turambar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 297
posted      Profile for Turin Turambar   Email Turin Turambar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No, Warg, it about Tuor looking for Gondolin, I cant remeber where i read though, or else i would give u the link
silver0163
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 69
posted      Profile for silver0163   Email silver0163   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Making the Sil into a movie would be like making the Bible into a movie. It just wouldn't work. You can however, make a movie about Noah and the Ark.
Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warg
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 67

posted      Profile for Warg   Email Warg   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Have you even been to the site. Have you read the story bord, watched the preview, or looked at the FAQ at all. It might be inspired by the Silmarillion, but It is a totaly different piece, not even noticed by the Tolkien estate as part of the ME saga.

------------------

From: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warg
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 67

For your pleasure

"Ancanar is an ORIGINAL story, a tale set in a land of growing fear and evil---in a time awaiting th onslaught of the great storm of war"

Go to www.ancanar.com , click on Welcome and read.

------------------

This message has been edited by Warg on 07-18-2001 at

Annatar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 643
posted      Profile for Annatar   Author's Homepage   Email Annatar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
One day, I shall make a movie of the Silmarilion. I am an aspiring director, and that is my great dream.

Oh, and from talking to the director, he seems to think that Annacar IS very much about Tolkien's work, albeit only through allusion.

------------------
"And there was Silence in the House of Judgement" - Oscar Wilde
From the play, "Gross Indecencies: The Three Trials of Oscar Wilde"

From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turin Turambar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 297
Warg, i read about the movie AT A TOLKIEN SITE, it was at a movie news site http://www.xenite.org/faqs/lotr_movie/
it was a long time ago, so u would have to read through the archived news

Warg
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 67

Go to the official Ancanar site. Read there.

I agree that it was either based on the Silm, or inspired by it, but it is not directly from any of tolkiens works. There is no caracter called tuor, no city called Gondolin. The film is of original creation if not original idea.

This message has been edited by Warg on 07-19-2001 at

Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I really dont think that there ever will be a silm movie... I'm sure that there will be rumors about one, but personally i dont think it would be possible to make.
From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Midus unknown
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 358
posted      Profile for Midus unknown   Email Midus unknown   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
it would be very interesting to see but very confusing to make. i think i'll try, i mean i bet a script like that would sell with ease, don't you agree
From: once i lived in the land of mirkwood but now i travel the world | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dwarfed
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 732
posted      Profile for Dwarfed   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I could get some neighborhood kids to play all the parts and film it in my garage.

The Blair Witch Project didn't take much money. I'll need to figure out what from the house to use for silmarils, and costumes for Balrogs. Which of the kids nearby is the most like Tuor. I think I know a girl that could play Luthien. She's a good dancer.

And my dog is really smart too.

From: LA, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
West Elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 733
posted      Profile for West Elf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Citizen Kane is considered by some critics to be the best American-made film of all time. The lighting and camera angles wre at least as good as the best. A simple studio might do.

Who will play Melkor? Or will one person play all the parts?

From: Vancouver BV Canada | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gandalf Greyhame
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 747

posted      Profile for Gandalf Greyhame   Author's Homepage   Email Gandalf Greyhame   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Sil a movie? Now that would be one confusing movie!

------------------
Lou

From: Minas Illinois | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ockle Burr
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 550

posted      Profile for Ockle Burr   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
(i'll be joining this forum as well, having just finished the Silmarillion today, 13 years after I first tried to read the work)

The Silmarillion has too much information for one movie. It would, however, be a great series, though I don't know who would commit to it. It would only take one season, I think. It would be great for casual fans, since the style of the Sil. is so much less appealing than that of LotR.

From: Connecticut, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mind Undone
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 725
posted      Profile for Mind Undone   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
O.B. You are very brave to make such a statement on this of all forums. (Prepare for an avalanche.)

I don't see why one or two story lines couldn't make a great epic. Turin for example. I think that I would run two story lines consecutively however, Turin's story is just so very heavy and not everyone's favorite play was Othello or King Lear.

From: Tigard OR USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annatar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 643
posted      Profile for Annatar   Author's Homepage   Email Annatar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Sil., of course, could be any length of film or films that the director(s) wanted. The only thing that would cause length to be a problem would be that most people wouldn't want to sit through a 30 hour movie. Understandably! But there is nothing that says that a 30 hour film cannot be made. It simply cannot be made within the realm of film as an economic means. Once the boundary is passed into the realm of Art, a movie of the Silmarilian is entirely possible. It could be made in stages, by chapter. It could be made into one long (LONG) narrative. And it could be shown on TV in stages or in theaters in stages (or all at once) provided that the distributor is a bit open-minded and not bound by the "Hollywood" system.

In other words, the Sil. could be a TRULY independant film, a work of Art.

------------------
"And there was Silence in the House of Judgement" - Oscar Wilde
From the play, "Gross Indecencies: The Three Trials of Oscar Wilde"

From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
On a related topic - I wonder if anyone has ever considered, or indeed tried, to write the 'Music of the Ainur' as a musical score. Might be extraordinary. Perhaps music could be interspersed with spoken or chanted extracts from te text.

------------------
Whereas the light perceives the very heart of the darkness, its own secret has not been discovered.

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eol the Dark Elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 411

posted      Profile for Eol the Dark Elf   Email Eol the Dark Elf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There was a play that was 26+ hours long.
From: Nan Elmoth | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LOTR Reader
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 656
posted      Profile for LOTR Reader   Email LOTR Reader   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Annatar if you do end up making the Silm a movie could I have tickets to the first showing?

------------------
Aragorn The Ranger

From: Manhattan,Kansas,USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » If the Sil were made into a movie... (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help