Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » The Silmarillion, Is it better then LOTR??
Author Topic: The Silmarillion, Is it better then LOTR??
Turin Turambar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 297
posted      Profile for Turin Turambar   Email Turin Turambar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Y, is the Silmarillion better(or worse) then LOTR?? If so Y?
I would have to say somewhat, it helps alot to read the sil to make clear somethings about LOTR, such as who Gandalf is, more info on the rings and sauron, etc...

Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I believe we have discussed this before.
The Sil is at times Awesome.
The LotR is through the whole superb.
I prefer the LotR.

From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tensen_Vil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 65

posted      Profile for Tensen_Vil   Author's Homepage   Email Tensen_Vil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't feel this is a legitimate question... They are different, both in Writing style and in Story.

LOTR follows(For the most part) a single group of travelers while the Silmarillion is more of a group of many stories involving many people. Many of who, have no connection to others.

I can't say I like one more than the other. I like each for what it is, and for what it isn't, but I don't like one better.

------------------
"'Kill!' shouted Ford. He shouted it at his towel.
The towel lept up out of Harl's hands.
This was not because it had any motive force of its own, but because Harl was so startled at the idea that it might."
--Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

From: Pueblo, Co. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sauron's Nagging Wife
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 693

posted      Profile for Sauron's Nagging Wife   Author's Homepage   Email Sauron's Nagging Wife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
LOTR is an excellent story - wherever I pick it up and start reading, I can't put it down!

The Silmarillian is more like a series of vignettes... not "live action narrative", more like a history text. Fascinating and entertaining, but not the same heroic story of vulnerable creatures like hobbits going up against immesurable evil that they can't imagine defeating.

------------------
"Will you stop planning the downfall of the West and come and eat your dinner before it gets cold?"

From: The Great Tower, Mordor | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Londier
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2228
posted      Profile for Londier   Email Londier   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think the LOTR is better because it stays with the same group of heroes from the beginning to the end, where Sauron is defeated. The Silm has the same bad guy throughout a history of heroes.
From: ... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Miz Lobelia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1612

posted      Profile for Miz Lobelia   Email Miz Lobelia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Lord of the Rings is a complete, polished story, whereas The Silmarillion is a compendium of potentiality. It's like reading some famous lost ancient work reconstructed by a scholar (in this case, the distinguished CRT) from tantalizing fragments found on mummy wrappings. Often the longer versions of the Silm stories in HoME are better reads, even though (alas!) they are unfinished.
Had Tolkien ever finished the Silm (and he probably would have had to outlive the Old Took or even Bilbo or heck, at the rate he was working on it, Elros, to finish it) we could have a fairer comparision between the two.

From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Mandin. The Sil has its amazing moments, but it would have been better if Tolkien did the whole thing instead of Christopher.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eledhsúle
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1980

posted      Profile for Eledhsúle   Author's Homepage   Email Eledhsúle   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm some what repeating what people have already said...
LotR is better as a whole story, when you actually get to know the people you are taking the journey with, but Sil gives backrounds, memorable moments, although it is like you have said before, not totally what Tolkien would have wanted (perhaps)...
The question is hard to answer as both have so much good in them...
So I'm not going to answer []

From: Finland | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lillianna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1843

posted      Profile for Lillianna   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like the silmarillion alot, but like Tensen_Vil said, they are totally different so you can't really compare. I do like the style and story of LOTR better though. It's more readable. The Silmarillion is my research book sort of....it has a more "fantasy" feel than LOTR. Lord of the Rings feels almost real.
From: Back to Cali, Cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Manveri
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1806

posted      Profile for Manveri   Author's Homepage   Email Manveri   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i don`t have word to discribe how much i love LortR, about Silmarillion, i am dying to read it, now that i am on vacations, i think that i can buy now .
From: Brazil, São Paulo City | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZeAlouS
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2295
posted      Profile for ZeAlouS   Email ZeAlouS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the Silmarillion is better because there you can read about the terrefying Balrogs and fire-breathing Dragons, and olso the harsh war between Melkor and the other Ainur.
From: Iceland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormegil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2296

posted      Profile for Mormegil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tough question. I love the LotR but after reading the Silm I think I like it better. I love the stories about Beren and Luthien and Turin.
From: Nargothrond | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imbëar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 729
posted      Profile for Imbëar   Author's Homepage   Email Imbëar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, like Gandalf's purpose, is written to re-kindle warmth, fellowship, and love in hardened and otherwise cold hearts.
The Lord of the Rings is for the heart. Like the chalice of Denethor, bitter at times; but, in the end, undeniably overflowing.

LoTR is to the heart as The Silmarillion is to the spirit.
But I will not say which I love better.

Imbëar

From: Auburn, CA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turin Turambar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 297
posted      Profile for Turin Turambar   Email Turin Turambar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Monkeys!!

I started this thread like a year ago!!!

And havent even been to this site in like 6months!!! (due mostly to computer problems that i may have caused, ehem.)

But cheers to you all!

Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thanvar
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2405
posted      Profile for Thanvar   Email Thanvar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Comparing LOTR and the Silmarillion is almost silly to try, seeing as how they are so very different. The Sil. reads like history but I like histories and LOTR is a superb novel but I really loathe most novels. I prefere the Lotr for its style but for story the Silmarillions tale of the long defeat of Elves and Men is much more compelling and amazing. But what do I know, I like textbooks.
From: over the hills and far away | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lhunithiliel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2366
posted      Profile for Lhunithiliel   Email Lhunithiliel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for the Silmarillion!!!
I have never before read a more beautiful version about the creating of the Universe, the Earth etc... Imagine only -through MUSIC! Isn't it great?!
And there are lot of other good sites - the stories about the coming of the Children of Illuvatar, their amazing history and evolution... Just marvellous!
I VOTE FOR THE SILMARILLION!

From: the House of Feanor | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » The Silmarillion, Is it better then LOTR??
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help