Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Finarfin (Page 1)
Author Topic: Finarfin
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Finarfin, the youngest son of Finwe, what did he do? It didn't seem he had a very big part at all. Did he do anything?
From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinelwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 261

posted      Profile for Tinelwen   Email Tinelwen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
He stayed in Valinor.

------------------
"We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe." -Goethe

From: neither here nor there | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
exactly, boring old Finarfin
From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galdor of the Tree
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 260
posted      Profile for Galdor of the Tree   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
He did nothing. And by doing that it can be argued that he was the greatest of the princes of the noldor.
From: New Haven, CT | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

but he wasnt great, how do you call him great when he didnt do anything but sit at valinor
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
He had the strength of mind not to go. If he had gone, who knows what mighty deeds he would have performed. But he did not.
From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eol the Dark Elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 411

posted      Profile for Eol the Dark Elf   Email Eol the Dark Elf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
To agree with Laurenendorian, look how many people agreed with Feanor's words and it's generally harder to be in a minority as he was anyway, let alone not succumbing to the power of Feanor's words.
From: Nan Elmoth | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dominus
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 193
posted      Profile for Dominus   Author's Homepage   Email Dominus   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Finarfin was the wisest of the sons of Finwe, whereas Feanor was the most fiery and skilled, and Fingolfin the most valiant. Finarfin endured forever as the High King of the Noldor in Aman. The Noldor who fought in the wars against Morgoth were utterly destroyed. Did he do anything? I believe that when the Valar finally heard the plea of Earendil, the host of Noldor who fought in the final battle marched under the banner of Finarfin who led them in that last victorious overthrow. Hence Finarfin the Wise.

In Fellowship,
Sean Richey
Dagorhir Battle Games

This message has been edited by Dominus on 04-13-2001 at

From: Falls Church, VA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

i guess maybe I was wrong about Finarfin, but hes still boring lol
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Boring? You mean that Tolkien didn't write much about him, surely. If he had been written about more, it would not have been the same sort of story, but it might have been interesting nonetheless. The rebellion of Feanor and the Noldor as seen through the eyes of Finarfin. Then again, I suppose you could be right: it might have been really boring.
From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nienna the Weeper
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 364

posted      Profile for Nienna the Weeper   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If you mean boring because he didn't have any stories then that's not his fault. But if you mean boring because he chose not to go, that wouldn't be fair. It took a lot of courage to turn back like he did. The kinslaying was just too much for him to bear.

------------------
For we are but Atani and death is our Fate. Such is the gift of Iluvatar.

From: Why are you looking down here? | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galdor of the Tree
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 260
posted      Profile for Galdor of the Tree   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
People are soooo picky when it comes to elves. Feanor is bad because he did too much. Finarfin is bad because he did nothing. For Finarfin's desicion to stay. Yeah that took courage. So his life may not have been exciting after. At least noone hates him because he did "evil." He ranks in the same area as all the other princes of the Noldoli. Not too much higher, not too much lower.
From: New Haven, CT | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I beg to differ Mog. Finarfin led his people to prosperity and victory. He was the ONLY Noldor to do so. I say that Finarfin ranks much higher then the others. He like Frodo knew that he could do nothing to a god. Only gods could deal with a god. It took courage to stand up for what was right against his kin. It took more courage than fighting Melkor himself.

------------------
The world must change and some other power than ours must come before Durin's Folk walk again in Moria

-Dain Ironfoot, Nain's son

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I beg to differ, Fingolfin knew that as well and tried to get his people to stay but when it became evident that the wouldn't be swayed he felt it was his responsibility to accompany them, even if it meant his own death.
From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galdor of the Tree
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 260
That was untrue. They could do things to the Ainur. Need I remind you of Fingolfin and Beren and Luthien. I think most of the Noldor knew what they were getting into and still went. And his faithful choice equals out with his lack of "interesting" tales.
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Are you speaking to me???
From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

No Fingy, I think he was talking to me. What I meant to say was that the Noldor could not defeat Melkor. I can think of no worse a leader than one who would lead his people into a war doomed to failure, especially a war out of pride.
From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

But Fingolfin didn't do that he went with the noldor because he saw it as his responsibility not to abandon them despite the fact he knew they were wrong.
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

Therefore, Finglofin became a follower not a leader. A good leader gets others to do what they don't want to do and like it.(That's not my definition, Harry S. Truman I believe. I was forced to memorize it about 14 years ago)

This message has been edited by Tuor on 04-14-2001 at

Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good leaders are servants of whom they lead!

This message has been edited by Earendilyon on 04-14-2001 at

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

So Ear, what are you trying to say? One getting others to do what they should do but don't want to is wrong? A good leader leads by polls? If Fingolfin knew that what his people were about to do was wrong, but acquiesced, he was not being a good leader.
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

THe only way to appeal to an angrey mob is to take advantage of their emotions which is unfair to them. If FIngolfin did this and they stayed it would have only postponed the enevitable since sooner or later the would have grumbled aginst Fingolfin for taking advantage of there volitile state and gone to middle-earth then. But fingolfin didn't do this he tried to use logic and reason to convience them because if he could then they would stay and not go later.
Andrew the Grey
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 426
posted      Profile for Andrew the Grey   Email Andrew the Grey   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
...but didn't most of the Noldor including Fingolfin take the oath that doomed them, which therefore sent them to ME?

------------------
--- Andrew ---
--Wielder of the flame of Anor--
"Many are the strange chances of the world, and helps oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter." -Mithrandir-

This message has been edited by Andrew the Grey on 04-14-2001 at

From: Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

That was just Feanor and his sons.
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

yea, fingolfin went but didnt take the oath
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Finarfin (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help