Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Feanor not so great!
Author Topic: Feanor not so great!
Lomion
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 60
posted      Profile for Lomion   Email Lomion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think people believe Feanor is Great because they are told to think he is Great, besides the Silmarills, what good did he do for anyone? he caused Rebbelion within the Noldor, he threatened the life of his brother, he caused the doom of the noldor, he readily slew the teleri, he left his brother and nephews to cross the hecaraxe.
He was not as great in my opinion as everybody thinks............

From: Gondolin | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew the Grey
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 426
posted      Profile for Andrew the Grey   Email Andrew the Grey   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, though the light of the Trees of Valor contained in a gem is amazing, though the only reason the Silmarils are great is because Ungoliant killed the trees, hence the Vala girl (forget her name) needed the jems to bring the trees to life, correct? So Fëanor had more bad then good weighed against him...

------------------
--- Andrew ---
--Archer of the Eye--
"Many are the strange chances of the world, and helps oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter." -Mithrandir-

From: Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
He was great in skill though not a great person. Remeber he made the palantiri which was beyond the art of Gandalf, Sarumen and Sauron.
From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lomion
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 60
posted      Profile for Lomion   Email Lomion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
ANyone have ne thing else to say?
From: Gondolin | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinelwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 261

posted      Profile for Tinelwen   Email Tinelwen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Feanor could have been a great leader if he were not so rash. If he had kept his head on straight, he could've helped the elves alot. But, as it is, his nature prevented him from acting rationally in times of crisis. He was corrupted by the lies of Morgoth, whether or not he intended to be, and for that reason, he made many poor choices.

------------------
"We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe." -Goethe

From: neither here nor there | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nienna the Weeper
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 364

posted      Profile for Nienna the Weeper   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's common in history to tag people's names with 'the Great'. Their names were usually adherent to whatever they were best known for. In Feanor's case, it was the Silmarils.

------------------
For we are but Atani and death is our Fate. Such is the gift of Iluvatar.

From: Why are you looking down here? | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Feanor was actually like most other of the most brilliant men of our time, the smarter they were the more excentric and egocentric they became.
From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thingol
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 75
posted      Profile for thingol   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
well but having great skills don't automatically make up a good leader do they?
From: germany | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galdor of the Tree
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 260
posted      Profile for Galdor of the Tree   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
We have never said great leader just great.
From: New Haven, CT | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Norrim
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 521
posted      Profile for Norrim   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Still, he ordered to BURN the Telri ships!!!
If it would not be for that, I could excused him almost anything (exept making his sons vow the same vow that he made)

------------------
May Ulmo's blessing lie on you

From: Orlando, FL, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

No one is excusing feanor it is just he had major problems which is a common occurance with brilliant people. (eg Einstein, Franklin, Newton etc.) Actually not that I think about it Feanor is alot like Isaac Newton.
Illuvatar
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 444
posted      Profile for Illuvatar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Now who's going to go tell Feanor that he's not so great? I'll save a spot in the morgue for ya

------------------
I am.

Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord of the Nazgul
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 534
posted      Profile for Lord of the Nazgul   Author's Homepage   Email Lord of the Nazgul   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
who could dis Feanor, maybe he wasn't that great. but his actions led to everything that happened in the history of LOTR
From: Somewhere in Iowa | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celedaen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 513
posted      Profile for Celedaen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the title 'Feanor, Burner of wayyy too many ships, killer of wayy too many people, good and bad, creator of the objects that caused the most hell to break loose' is very appropriate. Sorry, I'm still sore about the Kinslaying.
From: Somewhere in Arda | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 38
posted      Profile for Beren   Email Beren   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Though he was good at smithing and all, he was a hot-head, and caused much unnecessary trouble even though he thought it to be good. He was self-centered and jealous of his half-brothers, and horay for Galadriel for refusung him a strand of hair.
From: Northwest USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose Gamgee - home again
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 404
posted      Profile for Rose Gamgee - home again   Email Rose Gamgee - home again   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Fëanor probably wouldn't be that terrible if it wasn't for that bad ol' Morgoth's lies!

------------------
I cannot live without books.

~Thomas Jefferson

From: USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinelwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 261

posted      Profile for Tinelwen   Email Tinelwen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
True, true, but he would still have that pride of his...

------------------
Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

From: neither here nor there | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maglor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 498

posted      Profile for Maglor   Email Maglor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Feanor consumed by the fire spirit inside him. This proberly explaines why he went mad.
From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feanor
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 609
posted      Profile for Feanor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of like him. He's a tragic character because he could have been one of the greatest, but for pride. In HoME 4 at the end of the Quenta it says that he returns the Silmarils to Varda to break in order to restore the two trees. I like that redemptive ending.
Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

I think Feanor epitomizes the saying Pride goeth before the fall. I too have always liked feanor in spite of his actions and more thought it sad.
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Feanor not so great!
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help