Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Regarding Beren and Luthien - Did Luthein just bail out Beren? (Page 1)
Author Topic: Regarding Beren and Luthien - Did Luthein just bail out Beren?
Tinelwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 261

posted      Profile for Tinelwen   Email Tinelwen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering if anybody out there feels the same way as I do about Beren. I mean he must have been a brave enough guy, but he just seems like everyone else always has to bail him out when he's in trouble. Take for instance the first time he heads for Angband with Finrod. When they are captured by Sauron, Finrod saves Beren because of his oath, but he dies in the process. After that, Lúthien has to go and get him out of prison there. Then when they finally go to Angband, Lúthien goes out there and dances and sings for Morgoth while Beren just hides under his chair. And then last but certainly not least, when Beren is actually killed by Carcharoth, it is Lúthien who gives up her life to go to Mandos and get him, and lo and behold...she saves him even from death the first time. Now it seems to me that such a great guy as Beren would be able to get himself out of his own fixes without someone else bailing him out. Does anyone else have an opinion?
From: neither here nor there | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warg
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 67

posted      Profile for Warg   Email Warg   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There are many more such cases. I like to think of Beren as almost Tolkiens own version of Han Solo. He is certainly a brave fello. He just doesnt think to much before he runs into something. Although he does have concern for his well being and that of others, he is still not as strong as he would like to think and it costs him much.

There is a difference between streingth and bravado. Being brave to me just means doing what you have to do with out thought of consequences, which almost fits the image that i got of Beren.

This is just my opinion and is not to be reguarded as an expert interpritation.

------------------
Hwæt we Gar-Dena in gear-dagum
peod-cyninga prym gefrunon,
hu oa æpelingas ellen fremedon.

From: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinelwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 261

posted      Profile for Tinelwen   Email Tinelwen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to say that you hit the nail on the head with what you said on strength and bravery, Warg. Beren definately does rush into things without much thought, which can definately put a damper on things in the long-run....that's the whole reason why others were always having to bail him out of those nasty situations.
Apparently he lacks problem solving skills as well.........

This message has been edited by Tinelwen on 02-27-2001 at

From: neither here nor there | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Tokien's writings helped to inspired the creation of STAR WARS not the other way around, so saying HAn Solo is a variation of Beren would be more appropriate then saying Beren is a variation of Han Solo.

This message has been edited by Fingolfin of the Noldor on 02-27-2001 at

From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miturian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 139
posted      Profile for Miturian   Email Miturian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't agree.
Beren IS helped a little too much, but think about it; the nasty situations that Beren is to be helped out of is so nasty that we wouldn't expect any Edain or other human being to be able to handle them. And it isn't quite unknown figures who is to save his ass. It's some who's already pretty legendary. F.eks the song-spell Luthien casts on Morgoth is kind'a unique.
I think that even his most brainless actions is pretty overmatched by the oath of "the family of Feanor".

But I agree with Fingolfin in the "Starwars-matter".

------------------
If you haven't been at the buttom,
and climbed all the way op,
then you don't know what you're standing on.

From: Århus, Denmark | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warg
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 67

posted      Profile for Warg   Email Warg   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You know what i ment. You dont think me so slow so as to think that Star Wars came out before LOTR. I sincerely hope not.

------------------
Hwæt we Gar-Dena in gear-dagum
peod-cyninga prym gefrunon,
hu oa æpelingas ellen fremedon.

From: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galdor of the Tree
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 260
posted      Profile for Galdor of the Tree   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i have the same toughts on turin that you have on beren. seems to me he did more harm than good i balme the loss on nargothrond on him and him alone just by being rash and i'm sure most people would agree that the death of Beleg just horrible terible wrong atrocious ick sorry for not making my own thread and stuff but it seemed your discussion on beren seemed like my thoughts on turin really though they should't have killed beleg not like that
From: New Haven, CT | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinelwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 261

I agree with you, mog about Túrin. He certainly did do some things in bad judgement and and some things mistakenly....but keep in mind that he was cursed by Morgoth. He was more or less doomed to do the things he did...he had little control over those situations, so you can hardly blame him. It was all due to the will of Morgoth more or less.
Galdor of the Tree
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 260
posted      Profile for Galdor of the Tree   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i know but he still annoys me I MEAN BELEG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sob sob why did he have to die sob sob

From: New Haven, CT | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HT
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 282
posted      Profile for HT   Email HT   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I must agree with Miturian. Did Beren son of Barahir not slaughter so many orcs that Morgoth put a price on his head almost equal to that of Finrod Felagund? Indeed he did. Diminishing his efforts for not being able to fight Sauron and Morgoth personally is just silly. Besides, the Silmarillion has a bias against the Edain. Seriously! How many positive human role models are there? Let's see, Beren's one, Hurin and Turin don't really count, Earendil isn't quite human anyway...

------------------
Vala he is, thou saist? Get thee gone, thou gore-crow of Mandos! Etc.

From: Cambridge, ON | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinelwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 261

Again, mog, I agree about Beleg...there is no worse way to be killed than by your best friend by accident...but that was just one of the events that played into Morgoth's curse on the family of Húrin. I always feel bad enough to cry when I read that story...it's like that feeling when you watch a movie a ton of times, but every time you hope that it ends differently.

And then about Beren..yes he did do many valient and impressive things, but when it came down to it he was very heedless. He just rushed into everything without thinking about the reprecussions and the fact that he was dealing with matters far beyond his or most other people's powers. I mean...he just goes skipping up to the doors of Angband without thinking about what real danger he is in, or what danger he could be putting others in. That's generally what causes him problems in the end.
And I think the Silmarillion is in some ways biased against the Edain, but only to a certain extent...I mean, did Beren not get the girl? Tuor as well? After the first age, though, things did not go well for the Eldar in Middle Earth...I think they deserved to get the spotlight in the Silmarillion.

Galdor of the Tree
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 260
i know it wasn't his fault but i don't see how some think that he was the coolest character in the book
Aerendir
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 240
posted      Profile for Aerendir   Email Aerendir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The "bias" against the Edain I think is being mis percieved. The bias is really against Men in general. I mean, all the elves that turn bad are dark elves to begin with ( Eol for ex.) But how many times does Tolkien say that alliances, battles, whatever, would have succeeded but for the treachery of men? The Edain are the descendants od Numenor, right? And how many chapters are devoted to the glory of Numenor? Very few. "And the became great... or some such thing, and then the Akalabeth tells of the fall of Numenor. It's a very sad portrayal of men as a race, but it's true isn't it......
Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinelwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 261

Right...I meant men in general...not just the Edain.
radioactiverob
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 405
posted      Profile for radioactiverob   Email radioactiverob   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I must firstly say that I agree in general with what has been written here, but only from a certain (and short term) point of view.

It seems to me that it has been forgotten that a lot of events that happened in Middle-Earth were still construed in some way by the Valar, and although such things are not directly mentioned by Tolkien during the story, there are hints at that with comments from Melian such as (and I can't remember exactly here as I am overseas and haven't looked at the Silmarillion for a couple of years) when she tells Thingol that one will come through the Girdle of Melian that she cannot keep out as he will be guided by fate.

This also ties in with the such things as his coming into inheritance of the Ring of Barahir for example. I think Tolkien's thought about this is very deep and subtle if you look at all the historical events and how things come to pass.

Was it that the Valar had deemed that only when someone seeks them out with a Silmaril that they would help the races of Middle-Earth? If so then all of Beren's adventures and actions could be partly accounted for by purposes of others. And even so, is it not also romantic (even though it causes pain) for someone to do attempt any task in order to win the hand of the person he loves.

He obviously wasn't so useless if he single-handedly managed to negotiate the Mountains of Terror. Look how dangerous Shelob was in Lord of the Rings. Who of the characters in that book could have stood up to her, let alone a mountain range infested with similar creatures?

And if everything worked out nicely in Tolkien's histories then we probably wouldn't all be so captivated by them (such as Beleg's death which I also lamented a lot).

Regardless, I too never thought of Beren as a particularly capable person when first reading the story, but as someone previously mentioned, who could have done any of things alone.

From: Giessen, Germany (though originally from New Zealand) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinelwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 261

Oh great......not that picture again.

------------------
"We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe." -Goethe

Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, it wasn't me!
From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinelwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 261

Noooo.....please PLEASE don't bring up censoring!

It just makes me angry to think that someone would portray Luthien like that. I reiterate: she looks like a harlot.

------------------
"We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe." -Goethe

This message has been edited by Tinelwen on 05-15-2001 at

Natasha
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 370
posted      Profile for Natasha   Email Natasha   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tell me about it lol
From: United States, Fl | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bungo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 278

posted      Profile for Bungo   Email Bungo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree. Of all the illustrations of Tolkien's world I have ever seen, this is the only one that makes me cringe every time I see it. No one has ever missed the mark wider than this! The intangable beauty that captivated Beren was totally different from the flagrant, though well-drawn, quality foisted on us in this painting.

------------------
Measure thy life by loss and not by gain
not by the wine drunk but by the wine poured forth
For love's strength standeth in love's sacrifice
And they who suffer most have most to give

This message has been edited by Bungo on 05-26-2001 at

From: Kowloon, Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celedaen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 513
posted      Profile for Celedaen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh! What an awful pic!!!
From: Somewhere in Arda | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinelwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 261

Amen Bungo! Couldn't have said it better myself.

------------------
Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Hmmm.... and Joe Friday turns to Streback and says,

"You're right Streback, this place does have good coffee."

(from the movie Dragnet)

[ 03-24-2006, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arvedui
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 16
posted      Profile for Arvedui   Email Arvedui   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ok enough with the showgirl Luthien..
Here is a better one!

From: Ice Bay of Forochel | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celedaen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 513
posted      Profile for Celedaen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, that's a good pic, where did you get it? It's the closest I've seen so far to what I think Luthien looks like.
From: Somewhere in Arda | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Silmarillion » Regarding Beren and Luthien - Did Luthein just bail out Beren? (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help