Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » The character of Alfred of Lake-town.
Author Topic: The character of Alfred of Lake-town.
Angathas
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1319
posted      Profile for Angathas   Author's Homepage   Email Angathas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Now that I have seen all three Hobbit films I wanted asked people about the character of Alfred, the assistant to the Master of Lake-town. Clearly, he is Lake-town's version of Grima Wormtongue, and just as conniving and slimy and treacherous.

That being said, though most of us feel it is wrong to "rewrite Tolkien", I believe he added a dimension of antagonism as a foil to Bard. Though he was a greedy skunk and thought only of himself, he was never in league with the orcs. Just like Smeagol (when he found the One Ring), Alfred was a weak person with no sense of honor. I like to think that when he left Erebor and exited through Mirkwood, that he was waylaid by the big spiders.

What do many of you think?

From: Staten Island, New York 10306 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Alfrid is not slimy/treacherous/Grima-like, he's just looking out for number one. This may not make him noble and heroic, but if every character was it would be very dull. []

He's certainly very clever and entertaining. I believe he was put in to give the Master someone to interact with, nothing to do with Bard IIRC. I'm sure he got away, I don't suppose he would have tried to go through Mirkwood. Far too clever for that.

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't hate Alfred, which in my way of thinking isn't good. He was obviously supposed to offset some of Bard's heroism, but in the end he didn't actually do anything. All of his actions had zero consequence, thus he was totally benign, a non factor in my mind.
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think he was intended as comic relief. They took a children's book and made it into a much darker movie, then to offset their invented darkness they added a greedy and selfish slapstick character.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
He would work as comic relief. He wasn't nearly as dark a character as Grima Wormtounge - but then he wasn't created by Tolkien either.

I don't think he would have gone to Mirkwood. Or if he did, he would have taken one look at it and turned back. He's more likely to go down the Anduin to seek his fortune in Gondor. A Tavern in Minas Tirith, perhaps?

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » The character of Alfred of Lake-town.
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help