Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Tauriel (Page 6)
Author Topic: Tauriel
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Gollum² said:
quote:
When I was reading LotR for the first time, I had no idea that Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, etc. existed.
When I read Lord of the Rings the first 4 times the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, etc. didn't exist.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But mystery is always attractive... If everything was 100% clear, it wouldn't be that interesting.
Mystery and Plot-Hole are not the same thing.
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
DQ, can you elaborate on these many plot holes you often refer to? I think you mentioned some in this and other threads but I don’t remember them all. Can you provide a list so we can discuss them?

Or maybe it would be best to start a new topic (or find an old topic) so we don't bog down this already off-topic thread.

I've never found what I would call actual plot holes, which I interpret as a serious breach of continuity, in Tolkien's works. I'm not saying they don't exist just I've not seen them.

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] Tauriel is a plot hole???
Maybe for Kili, and maybe Fili on the side, and maybe Legolas when they're out hiking.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I can Aiwrendel but I'd have to reread or at least skim through LotR again. It'll take a while. []
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Encore...

-

Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I can see why they chose that actress. She needs very little ear augmentation.
From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Who's looking at the ears?
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Some go all [] [] immediately, others look at details []
From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

Is this one of those Look at this picture for 5 seconds, no more. What color was her purse?” . . . “What purse?” jokes? []

I’ve seen that picture 10 times. There are much more flattering pics of her on the web. Like those with her wearing a bra.

*Who’s that? Lyra? DQ? Who... No! Don’t press that button…*

*Internet Connection Terminated*

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Yeah, that pic was an encore.
I think our dear Tauriel looks more Dunedain than elven here...
 -

Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
She's Canadian, eh?! []
Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
She's Canadian, eh?! []
Two Beavers Are Better Than One

[ 02-18-2014, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

[]
Pilgrim
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11389
posted      Profile for Pilgrim   Email Pilgrim   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Including Tauriel's separate storyline minimizes Bilbo's own character development for the sake of predictable romantic novelty instead of for the sake of sparking the imaginations of all the little people (or kids, including big kids) reading it everywhere. After all, the one role model that we've all (including modern teens) grown up with in the Hobbit is...well, the Hobbit! He embodies a child, and by doing so is the perfect role model for any child reading this children's book. If The Hobbit were intended for adults as well as children, any reader would still find that Bilbo, with all of his faults, is enough to supply anyone with the perfect example of a round character (literally and figuratively speaking) and (as a conversationalist, thrifty individual, and insightful critic) a colloquial representative of all of adulthood as well.

Separate fables have been written with a young woman as the central protagonist, such as Thumbellina, or Snow White. There is no need to insert a male character into such tales in order to establish a peripheral sense of balance among the sexes. Tampering with Bilbo's centrality and fundamental isolation as the only completely competent protagonist in The Hobbit tale is analogous to including male protagonists in a bildungsroman motif central to young women. The result is a watered-down feel to the outcome of the central protagonist.

What I find refreshing about the book is that Bilbo does not need to perform and show off physically or speak sharply and rudely in order to be outspoken. Whereas the Tauriel character asserts herself whenever it pleases her, and is a character defined not by an almost magical sense of good luck and wits, as is Bilbo (as he develops into a previously unanticipated child-like adult), but expresses her characterization with a presence and a sexual curiosity that is overtly thrust upon a narrative that is supposed to be a kid's book. The Hobbit is not a cheesy romance novel, but is rather the bildungsroman of a little person, who is supposed to stand for children, and not an elf who is the furthest thing from a child (and therefore the intended protagonist) both height-wise, age-wise, desire-wise, and social interaction-wise.

[ 03-12-2014, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Pilgrim ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
...to carry a pistol instead of a walking stick.

From: Arleta, Ca. | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And what's this about??? [] [] [] []
 -

From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Someone's fan art by the looks of it, let them dream. []
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Despite Evangeline Lily being easy on the eyes, and the fact that I've got a thing for redheads, I went into the Hobbit 2 expecting to hate Tauriel. But oddly enough, that didn't happen. If they had just eliminated the lame and thoroughly forced love triangle, the addition of Tauriel would've worked just fine, relatively speaking.

btw.. nice post Pilgrim

[ 03-15-2014, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Madomir ]

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
Despite Evangeline Lily being easy on the eyes, and the fact that I've got a thing for redheads, I went into the Hobbit 2 expecting to hate Tauriel. But oddly enough, that didn't happen. If they had just eliminated the lame and thoroughly forced love triangle, the addition of Tauriel would've worked just fine, relatively speaking.

btw.. nice post Pilgrim

Yes, quite an insightful post Pilgrim.

And I agree with you Mado. The character per se was fine as far as need ign some elves of Mirkwood, but the crap screenplay stuffed any good that could have come from it.

Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly Snowdog, it wouldn't be much of a Kingdom of the Woodland Realm if the only residents were Thranduil, his kid, and a drunken jailor, so obviously there needed to be other elves around. To have Tauriel as a Captain of the Guard ala Haldir in Lorien would be fine, and Lily seems as tho' she'd be perfectly fine in the role. And if they chose to expand the role a touch so be it, it wouldn't be the worst thing they'd done (as long as she didn't show up at Helm's Deep [] ). The 3 stooges claim they needed more female roles, but the forced, contrived and thoroughly clichéd love triangle is a bigger insult to women than Tolkien's exclusion of them ever was. The whole thing was just completely unnecessary and counterproductive.

[ 03-17-2014, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Madomir ]

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
The 3 stooges claim they needed more female roles, but the forced, contrived and thoroughly clichéd love triangle is a bigger insult to women than Tolkien's exclusion of them ever was. The whole thing was just completely unnecessary and counterproductive.

[] ...The Three Stooges ... of course that is an insult to Moe, Larry, Curly, & Shemp.

Guess they had to make a love triangle out of it becasue they read it as 'more female rolls' []

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Erm What love triangle? Did I miss something? And I was expecting one as well
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Yes, you missed it. Legolas/Tauriel/Kíli. []
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

Evangeline Lilly revealed that "Tauriel's end will be tragic", but didn't say what exactly will happen.
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Tauriel (Page 6)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help