Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Tauriel (Page 4)
Author Topic: Tauriel
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]

My preference is for Galadriel anyways. Did you see how she stroked me in 'An Unexpected Journey?' []

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Galadriel?! []
You mean Cate Blanchett or Galadriel as a person? I never liked Cate in LotR and Hobbit films... IMO she's not fair enough and her wig looks very unnatural. And Tolkien's Galadriel I find only slightly better than Arwen: just another nolife...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
We wants it...
We needs it...
We mussst get the preciousss...

From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My preference is for Galadriel anyways. Did you see how she stroked me in 'An Unexpected Journey?' []
[] Indeed, how could you resist?
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So, how do you think will the Tauriel-tale end in "There and Back Again"? What great idea might PJ have this time?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
We wants it...
We needs it...
We mussst get the preciousss...

From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Kili dies in her arms. []
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think most people want them to survive it and escape so that it doesn't mess with the King under the Mountain thing. []

I suspect she'll die of a broken heart over Kili.

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
She dies in Kili's arms. []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Legolas dies in her and Kili's arms...

... this would have the bonus effect of effectively ret-conning the LotR films, kinda like the new Star Trek.

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
She and Kili die in Legolas' arms...

Which would give better continuity with the LotR movies, and explain why movie!Legolas is such a cold emotionless [] instead of the happy laughing "I go to find the sun" book!Legolas.

And be more canon compliant.

Wait...that means it definitely won't happen that way.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Don't say we have come now to the end; White shores are calling.
You and I will meet again.
Across the sea a pale moon rising; the ships have come to carry you home.
And all will turn to silver glass; A light on the water
Grey Ships pass into the West.

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And be more canon compliant.
More like canon complaint... []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
By canon compliant I was only referring to Kili being dead and Tauriel being not there to keep Legolas from joining the Fellowship.

Tauriel's existance is of course entirely non-canon; not because Legolas could not have had a "She-Elf" waiting for him back in Mirkwood, though. Only because no such She-Elf is mentioned.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

True, no she-elf mentioned, but then Tolkien didn't mention a lot of things that are needed if you're going to FILM a story instead of WRITE it. How many elves are actually mentioned in Mirkwood? Admittedly it's a while since I read it but I can only think of three. That would look veeery odd. []

E: Maybe it's a result of watching anime and reading manga, where the two versions of one story-line (often written by the same people) differ vastly, but I just can't bring myself to be TOO angry about changes that make it work better on screen.

[ 01-28-2014, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

I have no problem at all with there being she-elves in Mirkwood. Whether Tolkien mentioned them or not they had to be there. Maybe if he'd written of them at all he'd have had them hidden away like Arwen, of whom we barely get glimpses in LotR. But for me, it's fine if they are partying right along with the male elves at the outdoor feasts into which the dwarves stumbled.

My bother with Tauriel is the love triangle with Kili. Srsly? A she elf falling for a dwarf, and vice versa? [] It makes for a cute romance story, in fanfic, but it doesn't work with any of the 13 actual dwarves that Tolkien actually wrote in TH. In fact given the whole Nauglamir thing from the Sil I don't see it happening anywhere in Arda, ever. Even the bro-love between Legolas and Gimli was exceeding rare in the Tolkien-verse. So to put in a dwarf going all doe-eyed over a she-elf is just []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta agree with the above post. They could have given some female Elves in Rivendell and Mirkwood brief speaking roles (as in interacting with the main characters or something like that), instead of adding a completely new, alien element just for the sake of having a major female character, and a silly love triangle that detracts from the main plot. Maybe it has to do with PJ and team being forced to add more stuff by the (alleged) studio decision to make three movies instead of two?
From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
Funny thing about canon: Brian Herbert has written a bunch of mediocre prequels and sequels to Frank Herbert's 'Dune' books. How did Brian get around the myriad inconsistencies between his and the canonical work of his father? By saying that the original Dune books were 'historical' works written by one of the characters (Irulan, though I don't know how Irulan could've written the last 3, but I digress), and that there are many motivations for distortion of any 'history.' I wanted to slap Brian Herbert in the head for that bit of cheesy sophistry. Same could be said, I suppose, for PJ's revisions and distortions.....just another contemporary author telling the same story. I'd have to slap whoever made that rationalization upside the head, too, though. []
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
It makes for a cute romance story, in fanfic
And this is afterall, PJ's fanfic.
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

quote:
My bother with Tauriel is the love triangle with Kili. Srsly? A she elf falling for a dwarf, and vice versa? [] [...] Even the bro-love between Legolas and Gimli was exceeding rare in the Tolkien-verse. So to put in a dwarf going all doe-eyed over a she-elf is just []
That is WAY beyond bromance. Legolas was SOOO [] with Gimli he took him over the sea with him. []
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

[] Yeah.

Except when I say it there's a difference between bro-love and bromance.

Bromance=eros ( [] [] for those of you that need pictures)

Bro-love=phileo. ( [] aka bff)

Pardon my Greek.

[ 01-29-2014, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: LyraLuthien Tinuviel ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

quote:
A bromance is a close non-sexual relationship between two (or more) men, a form of affectional or homosocial intimacy
You were saying... []
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

Oh, look, an unsourced quote. []

I thought I was clear that in my post I was refering to my definitions of the two words. Hence the phrase at the beginning: "when I say it."

If the precise connotations for the two terms differ between here and the other side of the Big Pond, that isn't on me.

I'm not trying to change anybody's mind about anything. I'm saying that to me, there are no [] feelings between Legolas and Gimli. By which I mean sexual attraction.

In the recent DoS film, there does seem to be an intent to convey sexual attraction between Tauriel, an elf, and Kili, a dwarf. And that makes no sense to me, friendship and romance being two different things. From the combination of the words brother and romance I can't help but infer romantic feeling, not deep friendship. And deep friendship without romantic or sexual feeling is how I've always construed the Legolas Gimli relationship. So I can see deep friendship between an elf and dwarf, but not romantic love or sexual attraction.

If I'm using the terms backwords from the way everyone else** does, I apologize. That's not what I meant.

**by everyone else I mean DQ and anyone else who uses Brenglish which is different from American English. And anyone else whose word connotations are different from mine []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I did not source my quote because every single thing on the first page of my search said just about the same thing. [] However, as you appear to have a problem with this and think it's different over there, here's from the online Webster dictionary (I believe that is the main US dictionary):

quote:
Definition of BROMANCE
: a close nonsexual friendship between men
— bro·man·tic\brō-ˈman-tik\ adjective
Origin of BROMANCE
blend of bro and 1romance
First Known Use: 2004

If you are going to invent your own meanings for words because the usual meaning doesn't suit you perhaps you should put in your version when you first post, instead of correcting people who reply to you using the common meaning (both sides of the Pond). []

I find it interesting that your instant reaction to "bromance" is something incestuous, but that you have some problem with mixed-race romance in Tolkien (of which there are several canon examples). [] That aside, as friendship is a choice and attraction itself involuntary I disagree with you on which is more likely.

P.S. "Brenglish" is not a word. I speak English. []

Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
The official terms are Received Pronunciation and General American, respectively.

Also, to be fair, interspecies relationships only develop between Elves and Men (and there is some forced crossbreeding between Men and Orcs, but let's, er, ignore that [] ). I don't think Tolkien provided an example of Elf/dwarf or Human/dwarf couples. Not even relationships between Men and Hobbits, despite both being sub-species of the same species. Or are there examples that I'm not aware of?

I don't think anyone seriously considers Gimli and Legolas' friendship as any more than that, apart from wacky slash-fic writers perhaps. It does make for a good running gag, though.

[ 02-01-2014, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Tigranes ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Those terms are to do with accent not language, as far as I am aware.

He may not give examples but it is logical as there are so few dwarf-women.

I am not a wacky slash fic writer and I have ALWAYS thought that Legolas/Gimli was way beyond friendship. It's taking him over the sea that does it I think, especially as Arwen can't go even though she WAS an elf and Aragorn couldn't go... I fail to see how he was even able to if they couldn't. Plot-hole!

I'm sure someone will now quote some HoME or Sil or something at me now. []

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
On 01 February, 2014 at 6:27 AM, DQI said: "It's taking him over the sea that does it I think"
I have to say the DQI is on to something here. I remember reading through the books back in the 70's and I raised an eyebrow at the fact Gimli was given a surname of 'elf-friend', and legend has it that Gimli sailed west with him.

To tie this in with Tauriel (since this is Tauriel's thread... remember Tauriel?), it is obvious after Peter Jackson cleared this up that Legolas was so heartbroken that the girl he fancied had fallen for a dwarf, that he too fell for a dwarf, finally seeing what Tauriel saw in them. You could say Legolas was "bromancing the stone" .... [] []

[ 02-01-2014, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The idea that the honorable term Elf-friend goes beyond a close platonic relationship is silly. [] Frodo too was given the title Elf-friend. Make something of that. Might as well go after Frodo and Sam often holding hands and kissing one another. Please! Don’t let PJ and his convoluted ideas twist your knowledge of Tolkien’s works.

I’ve made jokes in other posts about the PJ’s obvious attempt at titillation using Tauriel and Kili’s relationship but we all know it’s just gratuitous, camp, textbook, filmmaking of the late 20th century.

Edit: Typo City.

[ 02-02-2014, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Aiwrendel ]

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Tauriel (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help