Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Tauriel (Page 1)
Author Topic: Tauriel
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
First Look! Evangeline Lilly as elf warrior Tauriel in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Let the arguing commence!

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Haldir with red hair and boobs. Such a beautiful actress wasted.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] A lot of people won't mind that too much. Still, that line about the romance worried me...
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
One tidbit that came out in 'Lost' is that she is an excellent tree climber, which, I suspect, is one of many reasons why she would be chosen to be a tree-elf. The other reasons, well, have to do with political correctness, etc.

And the fact she looks good in leather tights. []

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] I think there should be no women at all in "The Hobbit" - that was Tolkien's intention. It's supposed to be an adventure story, not a love story. I was already furious when, in "The Two Towers", Arwen appeared every 20 minutes (I exaggerate, I know), so I fear that "The Desolation of Smaug" will be a total nonsense.
From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A ruthless killer who defies the social system and is considered by others to be a lower order of being and is in a romantic affair. Sounds like a perpetually pregnant trailer trash criminal. Tauriel tree trash.

PJ’s LotR got worse with each movie and I expected the same from his Hobbit movies. Sometimes I hate it when I’m right.

Edit: Typo

[ 06-08-2013, 04:13 AM: Message edited by: Aiwrendel ]

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, FotR was ok, but the other two had nothing to do with how I imagine(d) it all... I just kept asking myself: "How is it possible destroy such a great story? It cannot be." and yet they've done it.
And when I first heard about the "Hobbit Trilogy", I just burst out laughing. I actually expected the first part to be even worse, but now, as they put strange new scenes in the other two just to make all this thing longer, I find it distasteful. By the way, UJ was the only film I've ever downoladed because I've decided I'm not going to pay them three times.

From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Once again, the standard rebuttal is:

No one will be twisting your arms to go see these movies. []

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm liking the comments in the article so far. []

I have no problems with the actress; just the "love story" thing mostly. Why bring in a female character if that's basically all you're using her for? Seems rather pointless. Especially since her "love interest" isn't... [wait, is that a spoiler? [] ]...

Oh, and it's been done already in The Lord of the Rings (by JRRT himself). Nice creativity there, PJ. [] []

From: Mnemosyne's orchard | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think there should be no women at all in "The Hobbit" - that was Tolkien's intention. It's supposed to be an adventure story, not a love story.
While I agree with you in this particular case*, I think it's worth pointing out that most of us on the distaff side of the human race would much prefer female characters to be included in circumstances other than manic pixie dream girl. []

IRL, shockingly, women do things that aren't about men. IKR?? Who knew!!! So let's be heroes, villains, the brains, the muscle, the boss. Let's not always be the love interest or the victim, reduced to a piece of meat for the consumption of The Manly Male Characters Who Actually Matter™. []

This message has been brought to you by the Feminism 101 Committee. []

*Because Tolkien's ability to write female characters is only slightly better than that of a concussed sea slug. Galadriel not withstanding.

[ 06-07-2013, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: Athene ]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well that still doesn't top the 1960s 10-minute animated movie of The Hobbit in which there is an elf princess but in the end Bilbo marries her and they come back together to the Shire (oh, and in which the Arkenstone is heart-shaped [] [] [] [] ).

Wait... maybe that's what's going to happen here ! []

E: typo

[ 06-07-2013, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: Inc' ]

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
WAIT
[]
The Arkenstone isn't heart-shaped?
[]
EVERYTHING I THOUGHT I KNEW IS A LIE
[] [] []

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]

Well, it's is kind of unlikely that Fëanor would craft a heart-shaped Silmaril. That would give a whole other dimension to his character. Maybe even Amárië wouldn't like him anymore. []

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

quote:
Because Tolkien's ability to write female characters is only slightly better than that of a concussed sea slug. Galadriel not withstanding.
[] []

quote:
The Arkenstone isn't heart-shaped?
Of course it's heart shaped. It's the heart of the mountain. []
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's fascinating how in each age people think they are completely free from prejudice and ideological dogma, and then they proceed to make movies/books/plays that are so full of ideological drivel they'll look outdated and absurd less than 20 years later. Some things apparently never change. These days, one of the main themes seems to be "strong women", by which they mean violent women, of course. To stay with the trailer trash metaphor, I guess a trailer trash mom who beats her children and her husband is also a "strong woman". Wait no, she has children - that's not progressive.

That said, at least "Tauriel" looks pretty.

Athene - I'm all for having female characters in a story, especially if they're complex (no, being a psychopath doesn't automatically make you complex. Neither does being a nasty person. Sorry Joss Whedon). Thing is, Tolkien wrote the "Hobbit" without any important female character, which is regrettable maybe (sucks for school play adaptations, I guess), but it works in this case. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This additional character is an obvious move either by the producers to make the film sexier for the teenage male audience, or by a deluded scriptwriter to further his/her pseudo-Feminist agenda. In the end, it's probably gonna be a waste of precious screen time just like the made-up Arwen sequences in the LotR trilogy. Oh well, better a meaningless pretty elf character than some more atrocious "Radagast" scenes, I guess.

[ 06-07-2013, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: Tigranes ]

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Because Tolkien's ability to write female characters is only slightly better than that of a concussed sea slug. Galadriel not withstanding.
I always saw the few females Tolkien included as heroines. Just as strong as the men. I guess I was deluded or should I now be disillusioned? Or confused?
From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tigranes said: "Oh well, better a meaningless pretty elf character than some more atrocious "Radagast" scenes, I guess.?"
Yes, much better!
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

If you re-read my post, Tigranes, you will find that I agree. Shoehorning female characters in a Tolkien adaptation for the sake of not-really-political-correctness is a mistake. I say "not really" because, as noted above, having female characters just for the sake of them being love interests is about as far from PC as you can get.
quote:
I'm all for having female characters in a story
The fact that this should even be in issue is kind of the point.

E: typo

[ 06-08-2013, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Athene ]

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

-
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

The fan art has already started. This one is not too bad. Probably because it doesn't show those gawdawful ears.

-

Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty decent, but what's with those "feminine" armour types that always leave the most vital organ exposed? I don't think that showing cleavage will help as a distraction against orcs.
From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Easier to move I imagine, important if you're an archer.
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
I don't think showing cleavage gives you an agility bonus though (which was what I was talking about). All it does in combat is exposing the heart to a well-placed arrow. Those sexy outfits are, as a rule, impractical for combat. Unless you're a "Naked Fanatic" type, but those guys usually didn't wear anything at all, and they were mostly male. Though still vulnerable to missiles, as the Gauls found out at Telamon.
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

Welcome to World of Warcraft, I'll be your guide for today.

That woman over there? Yes, yes she is a wolf. I know, that's just how we roll here. And that one is riding a giant flaming ghost horse. No, you can't have one. They are really expensive to keep and we just don't have enough fire extinguishers here in Darnassus.

You're right, their armour is a bit skimpy. Particularly around the chest area. I don't know either, because actually when you're taking a righteous shot of Immolate to the torso a really good breastplate would come in handy. Perhaps you could ask them?

OK, so what did she say? I mean, what did she growl? So apparently, the armour had realistic coverage when her friend Liam Greymane wore it, but when he lent it to her it magically transformed into a bikini? Wow. That. That is odd. Must be something in the water. There is a lot of magic sloshing around here.

No, we don't refer to Darnassus as "the magical glittery fairy town". Thank you.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I was thinking more about the practicality of drawing a bow around a big, bulky piece of metal. Main characters of either gender don't TEND to wear practical armour, or helmets. It just isn't heroic enough.

[ 10-21-2013, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Tauriel (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help