profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » The Hobbit purist(semi) cut
Author Topic: The Hobbit purist(semi) cut
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It does strike me that one could do this. Though a few things will have to remain changed. And the movie would be a lot shorter. And a few characters cut out. Here is what we do. No prologue number one or two. Sorry, Frodo you're out. Not quite sure what you were doing in the Hobbit in the first place. No Radagast either. In fact the entire Dol Guldor sub-plot is out. As is Saruman. I have no objection to Saruman been in the Hobbit, but I do have an objection to him been in there and talking rubbish. So the White Council has to go too. I might keep the part were Gandalf and Galadriel are talking but I would have to have another look to see what they were talking about.

In fact I would concentrate purely on the Erebor journey. I would keep the part with the Trolls, I know it was different, but I can live with that, as with the Goblin scenes. I would probably cut Azog out as well. I would keep a hint that the Orcs are after them. And the flashback to Moria. I liked that bit. I would keep all of the riddle scene, that was good. Not sure about the Wrags though. I think some deft editing might have to happen there. I like the idea of the attack of Wrags, but not that over the top stuff about the trees plunging down the mountainside. I would also cut out all that nonsense about the Dwarves 'seeking a home' what was all that about? As Bilbo thinking he can somehow go home from the middle of the Misty Mountains.

So we might have a movie of around 45 minutes. But hey, less is sometime more. And perhaps if we have 3 films of the same length joined together we have one decent movie, which is perhaps what should have happened!

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -

There's your purist edition. []

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
. . . With even the cover graphics by JRRT, indeed!

The vignette of the dragon looking backwards with wings up is one of Tolkien's most successful designs. He was a gifted amateur artist, but his work is inevitably variable in quality. Quite impressive that his original publisher 'allowed' him to illustrate the book himself! 'Course, mebbe they didn't want to pay a professional illustrator . . .

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Whereas the light perceives the very heart of the darkness, its own secret has not been discovered.

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would also cut out all that nonsense about the Dwarves 'seeking a home' what was all that about? As Bilbo thinking he can somehow go home from the middle of the Misty Mountains.
Smaug had driven them from their old home in Erebor and they were trying to reclaim it - no nonsense in that, as far as I can see.

And Bilbo can at least think of turning home from the Misty Mountains, even though making the actual journey might be too hard for him.

But there's no hint in the book that the Orcs are after them, is there? Not until after they've killed the Great Goblin, and then it has nothing to do with Azog.

I also liked the flashback to Moria. It might explain Azog's son's wish for revenge (especially if you cut the bits about Azog surviving).

Great book with Tolkien's own cover graphics! I suppose they chose his best contributions to the book, and saw it as a great way to show how the author himself would view his world. (Saving costs may have been an added incentive [] )

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but those are the books! Remember this is the semi-purist cut! They were hunted for by the Goblins on the eastern side of the Misty Mountains, I suppose it is not too much of a stretch of the imagination to say that a Goblin patrol might have spotted the Dwarves on the western side and wondered what was going on. Though Dwarf scum is definetely out. I'm sure that the Goblins could think of a better insult than that cheesy one!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Though Dwarf scum is definetely out. I'm sure that the Goblins could think of a better insult than that cheesy one!
Are you? I'm not. Goblins aren't generally thought of as intelligent beasts.
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » The Hobbit purist(semi) cut
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help