Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » The Romance? (Page 1)
Author Topic: The Romance?
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the film, and don't know if I ever will, but what about the weird romance vibe from the trailer between Gandalf and Galadriel??

Does it appear in the first film? Is it something else and it was 'trailer-ized' to stir up controversy? Or is it exactly what it looks like and I can start talking about it in Purist Rage?

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No, it seemed to me that they were very old friends. Intimacy need not include 'romance' or any sexual connotation, for that matter.

[ 12-17-2012, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: Maia Olorin ]

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
More like Osan-we aka telepathy, which made them look like they were making eyes at each other since you didn't hear their voice-overs in the trailer; but they were just mind-talking behind Saruman's back because Galadriel didn't trust him.
From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
When Galadriel told Gandalf that if he needed her "she would come", the teenagers in the row behind me all went into hysterics.
From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There actually wasn't any sort of romance in the movie. Not surprising, given the absence of any major female characters. I expect that to change in the second movie, though, with the introduction of Evangeline Lilly's Wood Elf.

It did kind of annoy me that they made it seem as if Galadriel was wiser and more powerful than Gandalf was, though. Even in his lesser Gandalf the Grey incarnation, he's still a Maia and she's still just (mostly) an Elf.

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it was the awkward looks and inappropriate touching that gave me the wrong impression.

Galadriel moving a stray curl of Gandalf's hair out of his face?!?

The lingering hand hold and fingers dragging across each other's?!?

Maybe in the context of the film, it's all appropriate, but I feel taken advantage of by whoever had creative control of the trailers. It's like they were trying to get purists riled up so maybe they'd see the movie.

Did you ever get bored of the reality show tricks where they cut a scene before a commercial to make it seem like there is a major problem, and then afterward it's nothing.

Before the commercial: "So, how is your relationship with your husband?" <painful look on her face like she hates him>

After the commercial: "So, how is your relationship with your husband?" "Wonderful, I love him more than ever now!"

REALLY getting tired of these lame tactics to make me interested.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe in the context of the film, it's all appropriate, but I feel taken advantage of by whoever had creative control of the trailers. It's like they were trying to get purists riled up so maybe they'd see the movie.
I doubt they had purists in mind. More likely they were hoping to court female viewers by making it look like there might be some romance.

I agree that the lame marketing tricks are annoying, though.

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
At least she didn't turn into some bizarre horror-movie spectacle like she did in Fellowship.
From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
More likely they were hoping to court female viewers by making it look like there might be some romance.
I doubt anyone wishes to see a romance between Galadriel and Gandalf, female viewer or otherwise. []
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

quote:
I doubt anyone wishes to see a romance between Galadriel and Gandalf, female viewer or otherwise.
Heh, I agree! [] But I wouldn't put it past marketing people to think otherwise.
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
They must have very sick minds. []
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
I'll say they must! Have they forgotten she's a married woman and a grandmother?

[ 12-21-2012, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

What's that got to do with it? Gandalf's no spring chicken.
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
She's also Gandalf's best friend's mother-in-law... that's just so wrong []
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
At least they aren't related - I think...

I saw no romance in their encounter. Are my antennae failing?

Of course, goodness knows what they did in the trailers...

[ 12-22-2012, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Sauron's Secret Agent ]

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

If you think that's wrong, don't read fanfiction. []
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Except mine []

If I stop procrastinating and get on with it.

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eledhsúle
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1980

posted      Profile for Eledhsúle   Author's Homepage   Email Eledhsúle   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't get any romance vibe from them. Thank god. Just very old, good friends. []
From: Finland | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
SSA:
quote:
Of course, goodness knows what they did in the trailers...
I assume you mean the movie-trailers, since in the studio-trailers I'm quite sure absolutely nothing happened [] [] []
Sentarius
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 525
posted      Profile for Sentarius   Email Sentarius   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I read it more as Galadriel being creepy as usual.
From: USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Reeeeeeeeeally creepy. brushing Gandalf's hair from his cheek with the back of her hand, the little holding hands thingy she did...

EEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW!!! []

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

[]

I think you read too much into things, they're just friends and she's being kind.

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't find anything remotely romantic in those scenes. Just old friends.

And Galadriel had wanted Gandalf to be head of the White Council, but the others chose Saruman - she knew whom she could trust.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altarial
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1103

posted      Profile for Altarial   Email Altarial   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Romantic? No. Uncomfortable? Yes.

Upon seeing the film for the second time last night (during which it seemed to strrrrretch on forever), I feel even more confident that the scene was meant to portray the depth of their relationship. Still, it undoubtedly made Gandalf seem childlike and weak in comparison to Galadriel. Why Jackson chose to portray this scene as he did is beyond me.

From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

quote:
Still, it undoubtedly made Gandalf seem childlike and weak in comparison to Galadriel. Why Jackson chose to portray this scene as he did is beyond me.
I don't really get it either. It felt like they were trying to make Galadriel look ancient and wise in comparison to Gandalf, but that's kind of ridiculous since Gandalf has been around since the dawn of time.

A few friends of mine went to The Hobbit panel at Comic-Con this past summer, and I remember them describing it. They said at one point that Philippa Boyens (who I personally find more obnoxious than PJ) described Galadriel as "the most powerful being in Middle-earth" at the time of The Hobbit. Which is...ugh. []

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » The Romance? (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help