Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Purist Rage - Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities! (Page 9)
Author Topic: Purist Rage - Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities!
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What did you think of the flashback to the battle of Nanduhirrion? I thought that was done pretty well too.
Interesting, but has the same flaws as the other movie battles. Don't get me wrong, I think most of the costumes and designs - particularly those of the LotR trilogy - are great (except for the exaggerated bits), but whenever the script deviates from the book, the tactics (and the story) start to suck. Even in the better parts of original trilogy.

quote:
By the way, have you heard of the game Rome Total War.
Yes, unfortunately. It's basically where I got my user name from (one of the Armenian kings).

Speaking of RTW (the first one, not the second), it has a mod called Fourth Age Total War (recently updated with a new, completely reworked release called Dominion of Men; features custom battle maps for Minas Tirith etc., and a building tree system unlike any other you'll see in a RTW), which is an excellent and lore-accurate what-if scenario set in the Fourth Age of Middle-earth some time after Aragorn's reign. It has great atmosphere and is highly addictive. And it's not based on the movies []

[ 03-14-2017, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Tigranes ]

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexius
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2612

posted      Profile for Alexius   Email Alexius   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tigranes do you think you could put up a few screenshots from the Fourth Age Total War? I always felt like playing Rome Total War was a bit like playing a movie, because of the camera views and epic scale of the battles.
Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like we're digressing a bit here (and I'm too lazy right now to upload my own screenshots), but anyway here's a link to the mod and a lot of screenshots, some guides, etc.:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-fourth-age-total-war

[ 03-18-2017, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Tigranes ]

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
... aaaannnd since this devolved into a discussion of games, it basically sums up the fact the PJ Hobbit fanfics are crap. Now, back to the games....
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
Inicdentally, I just stumbled over this five-part review and analysis titled "Why The Hobbit sucks" (it discusses primarily how the the trilogy failed as movies, respectively, but the fifth part also discusses adaptation). Here's part one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TijkFnT8D-U

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Purist Rage - Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities! (Page 9)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help