Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Purist Rage - Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities! (Page 8)
Author Topic: Purist Rage - Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities!
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
they don't charge by the minute to view a film
My Hobbit book has 232 pages. If THREE films are made of it, I call it theft of money.
From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My Hobbit book has 232 pages. If THREE films are made of it, I call it theft of money.
Pretty much....
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like I should watch the movies just so I could slam on them. I saw the first one but it was so terrible I kind of forgot about the fact there were more.
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I saw the first one but it was so terrible I kind of forgot about the fact there were more.
Don't waste any cash on them. Wait til they happen to be on free-to-air TV. []
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I just check them out from the library.
From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
I just check them out from the library.
Ah, you went to that much effort to see them...

The good thing about they being on Free-to-air TV is you get commercials to break it up ( and gives one a chance to find something better on other channels too) []

Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just as I was missing another Hobbit installment... Peter Jackson has announced that he has just started filming the first installment of a new trilogy (loosely based on) Farmer Giles of Ham!

And to make it all even better... Orlando Bloom will be recreating his epic role as Legolas for this new triogy! Hooray!

[]

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

[] [] []
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Really? I thought he was making a 72-part movie series of the Silmarillion
From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Was having fun sparring with some PJ fanatics over on facebook. The unfortunates had been deluded into thinking that "PJ was spot on" with the movies. I suggested they go and read the books. One comes back that he first read it in 1963... so I said he had 12 on me to the time I first read them, so I may have missed where the elves showed up at Helms Deep, which set off several replies from people who said they did in the books. Finally before I could reply, someone said that it was only Legolas wishing he had 100 elf archers. The whole thing is ongoing and too funny. []
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Silmarillion stories should perhaps be put to the screen one day but definitely NOT by Peter Jackson.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

posted      Profile for faithfull   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Silmarillion stories should perhaps be put to the screen one day but definitely NOT by Peter Jackson.
[] []
From: East of the sun, West of the moon | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]

[ 08-12-2015, 05:00 AM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
"The Silmarillion stories should perhaps be put to the screen one day but definitely NOT by Peter Jackson."
Yes indeed. It would be good to get the cinematics away from the one-dimensional vision of PJ & Co.
Roll of Honor Snaga
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2945

posted      Profile for Snaga   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I would visit this site after many years where I made quite a few e-friends over our mutual enjoyment of Tolkien. I am glad to see I am not alone on my opinion the movies. The movies, ALL six of them, were an insult to Tolkien. Anyone who things otherwise is quite simply low class, uneducated, moronic and lacking any literary taste.

Peter Jackson and his absurd wife have writing skills equal to that of a flunking junior high school student. The closest analogy of I can think of for this cultural calamity would be MTV making a music video of Bach's Mass in B Minor. I am so glad Tolkien's son agrees with all of us.

To make things even more painful, from reading a few news articles it appears the producers have been ripping off the Tolkien estate by not paying them royalties and claiming the films didn't make any profit?!?!? Oh Peter Jackson, may your fat greedy evil soul burn for eternity if this is true.

From: Mordor - upper east side | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Snaga says:
quote:
The movies, ALL six of them, were an insult to Tolkien. Anyone who things otherwise is quite simply low class, uneducated, moronic and lacking any literary taste. []
Although this may have been mention before on this site, Christopher Tolkien agrees wholeheartedly – sometime back before PJ destroyed The Hobbit he says:
quote:
"They eviscerated the book by making it an action movie for young people aged 15 to 25," Christopher says regretfully.

“And it seems that The Hobbit will be the same kind of film. . .Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time," Christopher Tolkien observes sadly.

"The chasm between the beauty and seriousness of the work, and what it has become, has overwhelmed me. The commercialization has reduced the aesthetic and philosophical impact of the creation to nothing. There is only one solution for me: to turn my head away."

Hey! It’s all about the - $$$ do-re-me $$$ - folks!
With PJ’s original version, 3-D version, extended version, etc. etc. etc. How many millions of $ of inaccuracy is enough for one greedster??? []

From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Christopher Tolkien agrees wholeheartedly
CT is a disgrace. Why take any notice of what he thinks about it when he ignores what his father did/didn't want published?
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
CT is a disgrace. Why take any notice of what he thinks about it when he ignores what his father did/didn't want published?
... because.... he IS the heir to his father's estate and has credibility well above and beyond your beloved PJ. []
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed Snowdog
quote:
How does the DarkQueen know what Tolkien wanted published? We KNOW he DID want The Silmarillion published.

And what CT thinks is in line with most of us old codgers who wonder at times if PJ even read the BOOKS! (Or just CLIFF’S NOTES!)

CT isn’t a disgrace! Look up his bio on the net. A gentleman of the first order. . . []
I can’t say the same for the money grubbers!!

Like I said “How many millions of $ of inaccuracy is enough for one greedster???

From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

posted      Profile for faithfull   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"How many millions . . . "
Well said, Flammifer. []

From: East of the sun, West of the moon | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexius.
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2612

posted      Profile for Alexius.   Email Alexius.   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like how the woodland elves were portrayed in the hobbit films, their armor seemed too much like the high-elven type rather than from the woodland realm.

I also was disappointed by the battle of the five armies when they failed to show the Elves charging into the goblins en masse . That part was pretty vividly described in the Hobbit from what I remember.

Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I didn't like how the woodland elves were portrayed in the hobbit films, their armor seemed too much like the high-elven type rather than from the woodland realm.
I agree; also, where did they get all that metal?

quote:
I also was disappointed by the battle of the five armies when they failed to show the Elves charging into the goblins en masse . That part was pretty vividly described in the Hobbit from what I remember.
The tactics displayed in the Hobbit movies were atrocious, even by Hollywood standards*. It's all showmanship and no sense, let alone strategy.
Even in the LotR trilogy, which is better than the prequels (analogy to Star Wars intended), the battle tactics were terrible and deviated from the book quite a bit. A pity because the costumes were good, as were the actors.
It's one of the chief reasons why I couldn't bring myself around to watching the third Hobbit movie in its entirety.

*) Speaking of Hollywood, there are very few movies or TV shows that show somewhat historically accurate formation fighting. Vikings has a few decent battle scenes, as does the movie Alexander. But usually, in most works, it's a mad charge, followed by chaotic mass duelling - which also happens in the Peter Jackson films.

[ 03-11-2017, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Tigranes ]

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexius.
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2612

posted      Profile for Alexius.   Email Alexius.   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would have been better if the woodland elves had been show wearing chain mail armor instead of plate metal. The plate metal, especially with those crested helmets are more suited for the High-Elves. The helmets they were wearing in the movie just don't seem like something woodland elves would wear.

I agree, some of the tactics in the hobbit were a bit unbeliveable, like in the battle of the five armies, when the elves jumped over the dwarves. It seemed more silly.

I also didn't like how they made the dwarves at the battle of the five armies armed with spears rather than axes. The Hobbit was quite specific in mentioning that the dwarves of Dain were armed with axes!

Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Spears/lances make a lot of sense as primary battlefield weapons - lots of historically iconic warrior types used them as such, including Spartans, Samurai (the much-hyped katana was a backup weapon, and became notorious in pop culture only beause of civilian contexts), and European feudal knights. The problem is how they are implemented in movies; directors and show runners don't seem to get formation fighting. The scenes with the Elves jumping over the Dwarves illustrates that - it immediately defeats the entire purpose of the Dwarf phalanx, just because the effect "looks cool".

In the book, Dain's army had "mattocks", which indicates some kind of polearm, with sword and shield as backup for close quarters. The problem with the movie design is that many weapons, especially Dwarf ones, are way too clunky to be useful, and are more reminiscent of the over-the-top Warhammer and Warcraft designs (same goes for the Dwarves being mounted on rams bit).

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexius.
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2612

I agree, in general it seems most hollywood films do not portray formation fighting in battle scenes.

However, I thought that the beginning of the Fellowship of the Ring, showing the war of the Last Alliance was pretty awesome. If they had done something like that for the Battle of the Five Armies, it would have been much better I think, than having that stupid 'jumping' scene.
What did you think of the flashback to the battle of Nanduhirrion? I thought that was done pretty well too. Too bad the much lengthier Battle of the Five armies failed to deliver its potential.

By the way, have you heard of the game Rome Total War. Its a war game that has alot of formation fighting, which I think it portrays quite accurately. The camera on the battlefield can pan-out, so its like watching a war movie when you are playing.

[ 03-14-2017, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Alexius ]

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Purist Rage - Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities! (Page 8)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help