Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Purist Rage - Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities! (Page 5)
Author Topic: Purist Rage - Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities!
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
He wouldn't tell Gandalf because of the Ring's influence. He might have to give it up. I don't think it should be affecting him SO much already but it SHOULD be having some effect. Leaving it out makes no sense in the context of the TA as a whole.

IMO the fact that JRRT wrote TH first as a childrens book, then LotR second as an adults book, does not mean that you should ignore all the things that tie the two together when filming them.

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, it shouldn't be affecting him yet: he wore it only about 3-4 times and Sauron is not yet so powerful.
And I think that he wouldn't mind telling: in Mirkwood he did tell the dwarves about it.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
We wants it...
We needs it...
We mussst get the preciousss...

From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Only mentioned in passing and I'm sure they no no more about it than he did. He wouldn't tell someone like Gandalf.
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It appears I'll be seeing DOS tomorrow in good old classic 2D at the morning show. There doesn't appear to be anything better on at the theatre. I look at it as going to see a PJ flick rather than a Tolkien story.

(edit... can't type)

[ 12-25-2013, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Try not to enjoy it! []
Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I stuck with 2D too. 3D makes my head go all funny. []
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As a PJ fanfic it was ok and I walked out indifferent. It always rains in Bree, the whole pointless love triangle was a waste, and Smaug was cool... except he didn't desolate anything yet.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

[] Yes, Bree must be a horrible place to live.
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It always rains in Bree
Like certain places in Scotland. Or, indeed, Oregon.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Whereas the light perceives the very heart of the darkness, its own secret has not been discovered.

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...teleporting elves is stupid enough in the book?
They didn't "teleport" in the book. Elves can move quickly and utterly silently. They quickly packed up and left. Plus they have elf magic to move fires and all of their tables. Well, that's the way I read it.
quote:
PJ fanfic
Perfect description of his "adaptations".

Okay. Enough negativity. I'm going to see it this weekend (using a gift of free tickets, Snöwdog [] )

I like the descriptions of some scenes described here. I think I'll enjoy it in between grimaces at the usual PJ (being kind) "poetic license".

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

quote:
They didn't "teleport" in the book.
I know they didn;t, but it's as good a term as any for the totally impossible swiftness. I don't believe even elves can move an entire banquet in the space of about 5 seconds. []
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
Right, and I agree but since there was no explanation in The Hobbit I had to fill in the blanks with "elf magic". []

quote:
For this is what your folk would call magic. I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean - Galadriel

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
I think I'll enjoy it in between grimaces at the usual PJ (being kind) "poetic license".
Enjoy PJ holding up his middle carrot and biting it in an 'eff yew' manner. []
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I liked that. [] I've still not spotted the AUJ cameo though. []
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

Aw, poop! I didn’t get to see the movie this weekend. Too much work and not enough play.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Oops. Wrong movie.

I’ll just bow out until I can discuss this from a first-hand perspective. []

Indil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4434

posted      Profile for Indil   Author's Homepage   Email Indil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What really hurt my insides was the scene were Legolas was shooting orcs while balancing on the heads of the dwarves in the barrel-scene.
Seriously.
And then Bombur being the rotten cherry on top and doing what my brother described as a "bonus round in a video game".

And (am I supposed to warn for spoilers?) ****/*******-lovestory? Noooo [] []
No no no. No.
That is just terrible.

Other than that I was mildly surprised. It wasn't as terrible as part 1. Still quite shallow, they don't feel half as real as the LOTR movies. But not as annoying as AUJ.

[ 12-30-2013, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Indil ]

From: The Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I'm surprised, Indil. Most people I've seen talking about it prefer AUJ. []
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose this one counts as "fan fiction". Some 30 minutes of plot-relevant, somewhat lore-backed content, and the rest is so-so fanfic, made up of filler, forced conflict, and gratuitous violence, underscored with loud, blaring noise... er, I mean music.

I missed the humour of the original book. They squandered the opportunity of adapting most of the funnier scenes, like the introduction to Beorn. Same as with the Trolls in Part I.

[ 01-03-2014, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: Tigranes ]

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Tolkien... Humour... No, I don't see it. []
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Why not? The first scene with Beorn (in the book, I mean) is just brilliant. And Bilbo's conversation with Smaug. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
We wants it...
We needs it...

From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I don't remember them being particularly entertaining, though those and Riddles are my favourite bits of TH.
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
We went to see it for the second time, yesterday. I really couldn't wait for it to be over. It has its good points, but, on the whole, I found it yawnful.
Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

I watched it some time ago and started watching it for a second time yesterday, but after 15-20 minutes I gave up. It seemed soooooooo boring. Even AUJ I watched three times, but this...? No way.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
We wants it...
We needs it...

Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I really couldn't wait for it to be over. It has its good points, but, on the whole, I found it yawnful.
My sentiments exactly.
From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

Well, I finally saw The Wrath of Smaug, I mean Bilbo and the Chamber of Smaug, I mean The Hobbit 2: Judgment Day, no, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Tolkien. That’s it.

The best thing I can say is I found it underwhelming to the extreme. Can PJ manage to make a movie without plagiarizing scenes from other movies? /rhetorical

Bilbo taking off the ring so Smaug can see him without being instantly toasted? Really?

A fight scene followed by a battle then a conflict and throw in a dwarf fetish. And of course PJ had to recycle Legolas sliding down a slope on a shield (or something) while shooting his bow. *yawn*

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Purist Rage - Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities! (Page 5)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help