Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Purist Rage - Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities! (Page 4)
Author Topic: Purist Rage - Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities!
Dark Flint the Dwarf
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1089
posted      Profile for Dark Flint the Dwarf   Email Dark Flint the Dwarf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
At least Richard Armitage knows his Tolkien and ME lore. Asked an obscure fact, he mentioned the first tension between Elves and Dwarves arising out of the dispute for the Nauglamir.

I agree, the film left some things to be desired, but I loved seeing Erebor at it's height in the beginning. Most was too Hollywood for me, but the Misty Mountain song (not the version by Led Zeppelin) is awesome, very moving. So, for me, some parts were better than the whole.

Can't wait to see Stephen Fry as Mayor of Lake Town, the Battle of Five Armies. The Arkenstone...

From: The Land of small people, big smiles | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'd think the first dispute was when the Elves hunted Dwarves as wild animals, not something that happened near the end of the First Age long after knowing Dwarves are actually people.

[ 04-15-2013, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Tuor ]

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
From the very beginning, it's obvious that they wanted to make it as long as possible - too long. Bilbo&Frodo talking, the dwarves&Gandalf escaping from the Goblin city, Gollum's despair after losing the precious, Thorin looking at Azog before the fight... All that seems to last forever! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
We wants it...
We needs it...
We mussst get the preciousss...

From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So is anyone actually considering paying money to go see these over-extended abominations?
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*raise hand* []
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If we don't go see it how can we intelligently disparage it?
[]

[ 09-08-2013, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Aiwrendel ]

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
See it once yes, but paying money to see it, no. Here's to advance screenings!
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What Aiwrendel says.

And indeed, if there were advance viewings I could go to, as Snöwdog does, I would. But unlike with the LotR movies, the distributors over here don’t want us Tolkienists []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I am in too great doubt to rule. To prepare or to let be? To prepare for war, which is yet only guessed: train craftsmen and tillers in the midst of peace for bloodspilling and battle: put iron in the hands of greedy captains who will love only conquest, and count the slain as their glory? Will they say to Eru: At least your enemies were amongst them? Or to fold hands, while friends die unjustly: let men live in blind peace, until the ravisher is at the gate? What then will they do: match naked hands against iron and die in vain, or flee leaving the cries of women behind them? Will they say to Eru: At least I spilled no blood?
'When either way may lead to evil, of what worth is choice? Let the Valar rule under Eru!
- Tar Meneldur [UT 2 II:173-174]

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Things I didn't like about DoS:
* Gandalf's Dol Goldur detour - could have been SO much better
* Laketown - even I won't defend ninja-orcs []
* Erebor antics - don't get me wrong, I don't mind seeing more of Ereborn, but if you're going to chase around like that do something more than giving Smaug some bling and %$*!ing him off
* Legolas's neon eyes. Creepy... []
* Should the Ring really be affecting Bilbo already?
* The Arkenstone sends Dwarves funny?

Also... Did I hear Elros mentioned in there, or am I going mad?

E: I forgot, I also didn't much like the parts with Beorn, not how I imagined it at all. Also, if the light is going to reveal something, don't stand so that you're blocking it. []

[ 12-13-2013, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

No advance screening offer this year, so I guess I'll have to wait for it to come on TV.
it is what it is, with PJ all over it.

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Ah... theatre Christmas gift certificate .... guess I'll see it for free! Should be good entertainment.
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that both movies reach neither the zenith or nadir of the hyperbolic-ly (issat a wird?) titled threads here. They have their good points and bad.

I've found one thing that kinda annoys me, though. I would've liked to have seen Gandalf messing with the trolls, and Bilbo messing with the spiders. PJ left both out.

I think my biggest gripe, though, is I felt no emotional investment in the characters.

Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

I agree. should be a new thread titled 'Purist & Moviephile indifference'
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There's a lot of that around here, the last couple of years. []
Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

After seeing it a second time I still don't like Beorn and there was no need to call Galion's friend Elros (I'm sure he wasn't called that in the book, but I can't recall his name).

I'm assuming the Arkenstone business relates to that occasional theory about it being Maedhros's Silmaril, in which case it makes some sort of sense...

Still, not as good as AUJ.

Glóin the Dark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2102

posted      Profile for Glóin the Dark   Author's Homepage   Email Glóin the Dark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like the scene where I was the only dwarf who wouldn't hand over bribe money.
From: Belfalas | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
Still, not as good as AUJ.
NOT as good? Oh dear. Maybe I'll wait until I chance upon it on commercial TV....
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

[] Glóin. I liked the scene with your sketches. []

Might as well go, Snöwdog. They're always better on a big screen. []

Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Desolation of Smaug: NONSENSE, NONSENSE, NONSENSE!!!
I've watched it on the internet 'cause I'm not gonna pay for nonsense.
In my opinion, the last hour of the movie should be left out. All the Esgaroth and Erebor scenes don't make any sense.
The dwarves travelling in open barrels? Good luck, they should drown after 2 minutes, especially in such a rapid flowing river.
Gandalf locked in a cage: looks like a canary.
Gandalf telling Beorn his story left out. Why?
Bilbo dealing with the spiders left out. Why?
The company deciding to leave the path and becoming lost in Mirkwood left out. Why?
LEGOLAS, TAURIEL AND OTHER STUPIDITEIS PUT IN. WHY???
The Grima-like guy who serves the master of Laketown. What for?
Some of the dwarves stay in Esgaroth. Why?
The keyhole scene = total failure.
All Smaug scenes (save the very beginning of his conversation with Bilbo) = disaster.
Bilbo focusing only on the Arkenstone = stupidity.
Too many connections with LotR: Bilbo hearing Sauron when wearing the Ring doesn't fit with the idea of "The Hobbit". The Ring is not (yet) dangerous in the book and should not be.

[] [] [] [] [] []

Well, what can I say? I'm glad that JRRT didn't live to see it. His genius being turned into nonsense by some PJ.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
We wants it...
We needs it...

From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

quote:
Bilbo dealing with the spiders left out. Why?
Because it's boring? []

quote:
The company deciding to leave the path and becoming lost in Mirkwood left out. Why?
Because teleporting elves is stupid enough in the book? []

quote:
Too many connections with LotR: Bilbo hearing Sauron when wearing the Ring doesn't fit with the idea of "The Hobbit". The Ring is not (yet) dangerous in the book and should not be.
The Ring was dangerous from the day it was made...

[ 12-21-2013, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

DQI = P.J. Balin
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

quote:
The Ring was dangerous from the day it was made...
Of course it was, but if you're reading The Hobbit without having read LotR, you have no idea that it might be dangerous.
Snöwdog, don't pay for seeing it. It's deffinitely not worth paying for []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
We wants it...
We needs it...

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Don't worry Gollum, I don't plan on it.
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

quote:
Of course it was, but if you're reading The Hobbit without having read LotR, you have no idea that it might be dangerous.
Yes but it is all one story really and PJ stated some time ago he wants it to tie-in to LotR, as it really should do.
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

What I meant was: the dangers in TH are not connected with the Ring. TH was written before LotR and was supposed to be a story for children (that was Tolkien's intention, anyway). Spiders are dangerous, goblins as well. But some Sauron-Necromancer and Ring business is incomprehensible for children. That's why Tolkien left both out.
Now, don't get me wrong: I don't mind putting Sauron in there. What I don't like is making him so important (in the book, the Ring's role is just making Bilbo disappear).
If Bilbo heard Sauron when wearing the Ring, the would be worried. If he were worried, he would tell Gandalf about it. And he didn't, which clearly shows that Sauron didn't reveal himself in any way.
That's why I don't like Bilbo hearing Sauron and seeing the Eye.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
We wants it...
We needs it...

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Purist Rage - Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities! (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help