Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Purist Rage - Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities! (Page 1)
Author Topic: Purist Rage - Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities!
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone posts anything about how we should just enjoy the films for what they are, the post will be deleted. This isn't about swallowing these films and smiling. It isn't about a fair, balanced, and level-headed assessment of films as a whole. It's about venting your rage, pure and simple. I know I am not alone.
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even understand how this movie relates to the overall story, other than Bilbo finding the Ring. Radagast finding evil in Mirkwood? Calling Dol Guldur "abandoned?" Dwarves hating Elrond, who thought that the Witch-king had been buried? Azog, not Bolg, being at war with Thorin? And what of Daín, or the Balrog? Did they suddenly forget about both of them, considering that Daín leads the Dwarf-army to Erebor, and the balrog is "later" revealed in Fellowship?
And even after PJ introduces Radagast, Gandalf is still talking to moths to summon eagles? WTFudge?
Did PJ really think these things through?

Overall there was the PJ contempt for mortals vs Elves; in LotR there was contempt for men, while here it's for Dwarfs by portraying Thrain as mastered by greed, when I didn't get that notion from the book; rather they simply had more wealth than they knew what to do with, with Dwarfs plying their trade, and many items never even delivered or payed for since there were so many. It just seems that PJ was presenting a typical liberal message; not that it's stopped PJ from hoarding his lavish wealth, he's the real Smaug!

[ 12-17-2012, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

posted      Profile for bombadil   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see any political message of any kind; I just saw juvenile humor in places that detracted greatly from the story. We all know JRRT's The Hobbit was more of a children's book than LOTR was. But that's no excuse for throwing in so much Beavis-Butthead-level 13-year-old adolescent male crap. The meal at Bilbo's, with all the belching and crude dwarf behavior; the dwarves' stupidity around trolls; the transformer-like giants in the mountains; the scrotum hanging from the Goblin King's chin; and on and on and on (please feel free to add what I haven't covered). I can't say I hated the film, but I can sure say I liked Tolkien's children's tale far more than this teenage boy romp.
From: Meridian ID | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Why didn't they cut out Radagast? It would have been preferable. The bunny-racing...
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The bunny-racing looked like Disney on speed to me.

I really can't write anything at all sensible; my blood pressure rose steadily throughout the film and was out through the ceiling by the end.

I know, I know, I defended LOTR mightily; I'm not a purist with these film adaptations. I have cheerfully watched the oddest versions of Shakespeare plays, Hardy and Austen novels, etc. I didn't even think that The Hobbit was particularly close to my heart, but this! Wtf were they thinking?

[]

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Bombadil:

quote:
I didn't see any political message of any kind; I just saw juvenile humor in places that detracted greatly from the story. We all know JRRT's The Hobbit was more of a children's book than LOTR was. But that's no excuse for throwing in so much Beavis-Butthead-level 13-year-old adolescent male crap. The meal at Bilbo's, with all the belching and crude dwarf behavior; the dwarves' stupidity around trolls; the transformer-like giants in the mountains; the scrotum hanging from the Goblin King's chin; and on and on and on (please feel free to add what I haven't covered). I can't say I hated the film, but I can sure say I liked Tolkien's children's tale far more than this teenage boy romp.
I think this is one of the main problems, perhaps the biggest one, with Peter Jackson's style. He's just immature. Any quality he might possess (as far as I can judge, he has good ideas too) is undone by this, because he can't resist taking the most puerile and cringeworthy approach. Oversizing stuff, crude humour, unreflected fanboyism, and always going for the "awesome" instead of the pragmatic (or lore-accurate) can be traced back to this basic flaw. And yeah, brain farts like a "bunny sled".

To be fair, I think the character derailment issues are someone else's fault; I suspect the co-writers. Can't see why Jackson would do that on his own.

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atmospherium
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5323
posted      Profile for Atmospherium   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Peter Jackson is orc-spawn. I will have peace with him when he hangs from a gibbet for the sport of his own crows. Until then I will continue to hold a burning grudge against this ruddy little ignoramus for perverting and butchering my beloved Middle-earth.
From: The Niagara Frontier | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
While I am indifferent to The Stunted One and his works, I applaud both your passionate vitriol and command of the English language. Well played, sir or madam. [] []
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor bombadil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1329

posted      Profile for bombadil   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
* [] at Athene and Atmo.*

Yes, how could I have left Radagast off my complaint list? Not just the bunny sled -- the entire portrait of him as an addled, eccentric nature nut? If this is really what Radagast was like, Saruman was entirely correct in saying "Radagast the Simple! Radagast the Fool!" I wouldn't object to Radagast's inclusion in the story if he actually got to be an Istari instead of a village idiot. And the bit with the pipe-weed. God help us.

From: Meridian ID | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Suffered a bit from prequel fever too, I was too busy being disgusted by Radagast to say that last time.
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
To be accurate, they weren't bunnies; Radagast said they were "Rhosgobel Rabbits," which could apparently outrun any Wargs even while pulling a man on a sled. (Rhosgobel, as you may know, was Radagast’s dwelling on the edge of Mirkwood; but as for rabbits I don't know a thing, perhaps he bred them with goblin-men or something, after all that's how PJ said that Saruman created the Uruk-hai out of orcs to be twice as big and strong as a man despite both orcs and goblins being a good deal smaller.)

Edit: the rabbits must have been fast, since Rhosgobel was over 100 miles from Dol Guldur, and yet he gets there in a hop, a skip and a jump []

[ 12-21-2012, 03:07 AM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Fairly sure PJ called them bunnies... *get book out* Yes. He calls it a bunny-rabbit sled. If it's good enough for PJ, it's good enough for me. Bunnies they are! []
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Bunnies they may be, but it was beyond stupid. Poor Radagast!
Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
Still better than Denethor....
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This movie, and I suspect the two coming, are just more nails in the coffin of J.R.R. Tolkien's legacy. I went to an advance screening (for us here in Oz) that required getting dressed up in costume. It was a fun night seeing all the different costumes and the nice photo-shoot and the free drinks and food and all. Yet it was more of a matter of getting through it than it was enjoying it. Listening to the chatter going in, Peter Jackson has pretty much succeeded in co-opting Tolkien's works and now in the minds of the idiot masses has been awarded them as his own. My only consolation this time is I haven't spent a cent that will go to the film company or Peter Jackson. I intend to keep it that way.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eledhsúle
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1980

posted      Profile for Eledhsúle   Author's Homepage   Email Eledhsúle   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Rhosgobel Rabbits," which could apparently outrun any Wargs even while pulling a man on a sled. (Rhosgobel, as you may know, was Radagast’s dwelling on the edge of Mirkwood; but as for rabbits I don't know a thing, perhaps he bred them with goblin-men or something...
Oh, best LOL of the day! []
From: Finland | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Omg, now there's bunnies pulling a sled []
Is this short fat guy and his lackies intent on butchering the whole of the good professors creation? []
Roll on said short fat guy's interpretation of The Silmarillion.................not!
[]

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eledhsúle
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1980

posted      Profile for Eledhsúle   Author's Homepage   Email Eledhsúle   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wetty - it was awful. [] Everything about Radagast was.
From: Finland | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

I so don't want to go see this film but I feel like a moth being drawn to a flame []
Or is it more like a fly being drawn to a huge pile of horse sh*t! []

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eledhsúle
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1980

The latter. [] But again you might have this urge to witness the total crappyness of it. I know if everyone hated something with gusto, I'd wanna see the seizuring hedgehog as well... yeah it has one of those too. []
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

You are joking!!!! []
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
A hedgehog named 'Sebastian'... if rumors are true.
Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

You are joking!!!! []
Eledhsúle
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1980

Unfortunately not... Don't get me wrong I absolutely adore hedgehogs, but in The Hobbit, no thank you.
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

I like hedghogs as well [] but why Sebastian [] ?
I would have thought calling him Spike more fitting []

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Purist Rage - Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities! (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help