Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Movie-phile Ecstasy - Dazzlingly marvellous! Perfect! Flawless! Staggering! (Page 5)
Author Topic: Movie-phile Ecstasy - Dazzlingly marvellous! Perfect! Flawless! Staggering!
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever the purists might say, PJ is very good at making the characters likeable. []
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Bilbo was good, Smaug as well.
I liked the costumes and the weapons+armour. Also, Thranduil's Halls were pretty neat.

Sadly, that's all.

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Despite my [] concerning all those movies, I must admit one thing: in the visual aspect, they're great. The costumes, the buildings/cities (Rivendell! Minas Tirith!), the landscapes (Mordor! Fangorn!) are exactly what they should be.

But that's all.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
We wants it...
We needs it...
We mussst get the preciousss...

From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The characters were likable long before PJ's fanfics came along.

The Shire, Bree, Imladris (in the 1st Hobbit), Weathertop, Helms Deep, Lonely Mountain, all seem well done.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I still haven't seen it - hope to see it some time next week.

And I'm reading all the spoilers that I can get hold of.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Helm's Deep? In 'The Hobbit?' Not even PJ.....
Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The characters were likable long before PJ's fanfics came along.
Some, but they're very flat and underdeveloped to a fault. I always loathed Boromir, Pippin (annoying little thing, feed him to a balrog), Bilbo (I still don't like him in LotR) and most of the dwarves in TH but particularly Thorin. All vastly improved in the films IMO.
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Helm's Deep? In 'The Hobbit?' Not even PJ.....
I took into consideration all the PJ fanfics.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

posted      Profile for Gollum Gollum   Email Gollum Gollum   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] for the "Misty Mountains" song
From: Cave in the Misty Mountains | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Agreed, I See Fire is good too.
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen it now and I like it - and a couple of weeks later I saw it again with a friend. I was able to pick up on more details on the second viewing and liked it even more.
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I thought it was better second time too. [] I know people who were so bored second time that they actually had a nap...
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

quote:
I know people who were so bored second time that they actually had a nap...
That's me []
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw Hobbit 2 last night, as is my custom I'll touch on the positives here first.

1) Bilbo - The more I see of Martin Freeman the more I like him. He embodies my image of Bilbo. He has surpassed Gollum as the best character representation in PJ's Middle Earth. It's not just appearance or dialog but the details that I love. His facial expressions, mannerisms, overall attitude are just spot on. And he maintains being true to Bilbo despite all the non Tolkien nonsense surrounding him which makes it even more impressive.

2) Although I didn't care for the inclusion of Tauriel or her storyline, I DID like Evangeline Lily. Very elflike.

3) Smaug was really cool.

4) The song "I See Fire" in the closing credits is excellent and was immediately downloaded.

Sadly, that was about it

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

Martin Freeman = [] [] , IMO he's just what he should be.
But my preference is still for Gollum. Andy Serkis = [] [] []

[ 03-14-2014, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: Gollum Gollum ]

Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Can't argue with that Gollum, Serkis' performance is definitely one of the (few) bright spots of the series. I think I may favor Bilbo over Gollum in part because the other hobbits were so painful to watch. By comparison it makes Freeman's portrayal look that much better.

[ 03-14-2014, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Madomir ]

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum Gollum
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11392

quote:
one of the (few) bright spots of the series.
[]
quote:
in part because the other hobbits were so painful to watch.
Well Gollum has no chances here. There weren't many other Gollums in the movies [] (and thank God! PJ putting in Gollum's twin brother or something would be the greatest disaster of all times).
quote:
so painful to watch
Yes, I agree. I just can't stand movie-Frodo. But I liked Sean Astin's performance.
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

It's hard to judge Astin, he's a good actor, and he didn't necessarily suck as a hobbit, but the hobbits in the first 3 flicks were so poorly written it would be hard for anyone to excel.
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

I have quite literally forgotten about these Hobbit movies.
It's been well over a year since any PJ Fanfolk had anything good to say about them.

My praise is that Cate Blanchette looked much more 'Galadrial-ly'  - than she did in the old movies.

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it's not over yet! There is still the EE of BOFA to come!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Nah. it's over as far as I'm concerned.
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

posted      Profile for faithfull   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Over for me, too. I'd rather read the books and revel in the pictures of my own imagination. []
From: East of the sun, West of the moon | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Movie-phile Ecstasy - Dazzlingly marvellous! Perfect! Flawless! Staggering! (Page 5)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help