Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Movie-phile Ecstasy - Dazzlingly marvellous! Perfect! Flawless! Staggering! (Page 4)
Author Topic: Movie-phile Ecstasy - Dazzlingly marvellous! Perfect! Flawless! Staggering!
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody called? []

Finally saw the film this past weekend. I went in expecting changes, so that was no surprise. I enjoyed it, as did my daughter (who just read the book this past year). The movie wasn't flawless, or perfect, or staggering...but it was good. []

[ 01-29-2013, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Éoric of the Riddermark ]

From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] []
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've finally had a chance to see the movie again, and I liked it even more the second time around. I still think a few minutes could have been trimmed here and there, but overall it's a very entertaining movie. I was cracking up at Freeman's poor befuddled Bilbo during the Unexpected Party. []
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen it now 4 times, 3 times in English, once in German (@48fps). I enjoy it more every time I see it, although, yes, a bit of trimming here and there wouldn't have hurt. Martin Freeman's Bilbo is, imo, spot on. I do frown in a couple of places, but I think it is a good movie, and deserved better in the press. It is out of the cinemas here, now, so we'll have to wait for the Blu-Ray.
Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Told ya so, Myrtle! [] Good to know I didn't give bad advice, like most elves.

It's just gone out of cinemas here too and I didn't get to see it a fourth time - you beat me, Olorin!

*is barely aware of blu-ray, but is awiting eagerly for the DVD* []

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have the chance to see it again - it's still running in Oslo.
Perhaps some time this weekend []

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Further research reveals it IS still on around here but not at my local cinema. I might have to make a special trip next week, if I can find time. []
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just build a time machine and you can go any time you want to.
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I'll pass. Too much effort. []
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen it twice, second time with my best mate Garry and his young son Kaene (8 years old). They haven't read the book, and thought it was great, really looking forward to next episode. Notice also the truly enormous amounts of money the fillum has made around the globe. Jackson is clearly doing something right (employing top class character actors/designers/composer was a good start).

[ 02-04-2013, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: Cernunnos ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Whereas the light perceives the very heart of the darkness, its own secret has not been discovered.

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

Glad you and your companions enjoyed it, Cernunnos! I honestly think the movie's gotten a lot of (mostly) undeserved flack. It's really a lot of fun; I think I might actually like it more than The Two Towers (which, IMO, was the weakest LOTR film).

One criticism I've heard from people is that the Dwarves, outside of Thorin, are difficult to tell apart, with which I vehemently disagree. Jackson and Company did a wonderful job of giving the Dwarves a badly needed injection of personality. Of course there are Fíli and Kíli as the young warriors of the group, with Fíli being a bit more mischievous and Kíli somewhat more intense. Dori and Ori were both very polite and somewhat soft-spoken (particularly Ori), and Dori seemed to be a bit closer to Gandalf than most of the other Dwarves. Ori was rather quiet and bookish, not really a fighter like the rest of the Company were. I could very easily tell that Glóin was Gimli's father based on his looks and voice, and his quick temper. Bofur, of course, was very friendly and outgoing, and by far the most welcoming member of the group. Dwalin was the resident B.A.M.F. (Google that if you don't know what it means [] ) while Balin was essentially Thorin's counsel and right-hand man.

Nori, Óin, Bifur, and Bombur had less to do than the others did, but Nori and Óin still at least had a few lines of dialogue here and there. In fact, all of the Dwarves had at least one line except for Bifur and Bombur. Apparently Bifur can only communicate through gestures and some Khuzdul, while Bombur actually didn't get a single bit of dialogue at all. Aside from those two, I really liked what PJ did with the Company. Creating distinct, memorable personalities for thirteen Dwarves when most of them had little or none was no easy feat.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

What Myrtle said Re:Dwarves. I had a little trouble with the less prominent dwarves the first time, but I had the sorted by the end of the party second time. I think PJ&Co did a good job there. Especially giving Gloin the axe they used for Gimli. []

[ 02-05-2013, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember a single line for Bombur either, bar a probable 'Yoop!' when his seat collapses. But Bifur did in fact have one line, in Khuzdul, with Gandalf, soon after the dwarves arrive at Bag End.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Whereas the light perceives the very heart of the darkness, its own secret has not been discovered.

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

Yeah, I did mention Bifur's speaking in Khuzdul, but aside from that he was very quiet indeed. I wonder if they're trying to imply that that axe in his forehead has messed with his ability to speak, or something.
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I believe it says something to that effect in the Vis Comp. If I could be bothered I'd look...

*can feel the evil stares*

Ok, ok, looking!

quote:
He mumbles, grunts and mutters in Khuzdul, an antique version of the secret language of the Dwarves, but no one apart from the wizard Gandalf can understand a word of what he says. What has made him this way is the axe-wound to his skull, still clearly visible since the axe-head is still firmly embedded there. Now he is looking for the Orc who put it there, and when he finds him...
Possible grudge-match foreshadowed there too. That'll annoy the purists. []
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Some people eat horse. Your point? []
Somehow, in light of breaking news, I remembered this quote. NIEEEEEEEEEEEE!! []
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

quote:
We'll feast on horseflesh yet, or something better.
Uglúk.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe instead of trying to get to Isengard, the Orcs were heading for Tescos!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

DVD pre-ordered. Snacks bought. Roll on Monday! []
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I do think is better in this movie is the humour. There is a much more light-hearted tone to it and I get the impression that the company are more fond of each other than the Lotr ones are. I can even live with some, anyway, of the Radagast silliness. And I quite enjoyed the cameo by Barry Humphreys as the Goblin King.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Back from seeing DoS!

Even I think some of the changes were a bit [] but it was good fun. Nice to see some more of Erebor. Smaug is very nicely done, but I prefer dragons with four legs. [] I wouldn't have minded less of Bard and his Brats but that's just me. []

I'm curious how everything's going to come back together for #3... Bring it on!

P.S. I won't say too much because of people who've yet to see it, but... Aw! [] They kept that nicely under wraps. []

Edit so I don't double:

Things I liked about DoS:
* Opening flashback scene
* Bard's extra appearances - good idea to bring him in but some of it could have been done without
* Including Legolas and inventing Tauriel
* The humour and the soundtrack, as usual []
* Kili's expanded role
* Smaug. Not how I imagined him but still very good indeed!
* That excellent view of the mountain when they cross the lake
* The whole Necromancer eye-pupil-silhouette reveal thing. Nice!

[ 12-13-2013, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

After viewing #2 I can safely say I enjoyed it better the second time. The changes weren't a shock this time so I could just sit back and enjoy it. []
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

More of a 'variation on a theme by Tolkien' than a straight telling of TH, but enjoyable.

Curiously muted reaction to the release of a Tolkien film at this site so far.

As I said somewhere else in reaction to the trailer, 'Crikey, Smaug's big'.

Re Smaug's 'golden shower' - perhaps inspired by a similar scene in 'Aliens 3'?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

I am warming to the Dwarves as people in this one, even more so than to the rather flat at times characters on Lotr!
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
Sitting atop the box office for the 3rd weekend in a row. Due to illness, I've only been out to see it once. I hope to see it again before it disappears.
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Movie-phile Ecstasy - Dazzlingly marvellous! Perfect! Flawless! Staggering! (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help