Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Movie-phile Ecstasy - Dazzlingly marvellous! Perfect! Flawless! Staggering! (Page 3)
Author Topic: Movie-phile Ecstasy - Dazzlingly marvellous! Perfect! Flawless! Staggering!
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not going there, this is movie-phile not purist.

It is no longer just a branch, Madomir! Pff. It's a conveniently arm-shaped shield!

[ 01-05-2013, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't have a problem with Thorin keeping the branch as it was. It was clearly already good enough to protect him from the might of Azog, why ruin a good thing? There also could have been some sort of sentimental reasoning behind his keeping it and not transforming it into a proper shield.
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MKa2OrZmGY
From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Using the branch to construct a shield made of oak would make some sense...
Except IRL (I know, I know), oak makes poor shields. Sounds great and poetic and all, but makes a heavy yet brittle shield.

I'll shut up now.

From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Except IRL (I know, I know), oak makes poor shields.
IRL so do 140 year old logs (complete with original bark) []
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sounds great and poetic and all, but makes a heavy yet brittle shield.
Take it up with The Prof.

*throw Éomer an apple in approved film fashion for talking sense* []

[ 01-08-2013, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Confound it all! I'm a horselord, not an actual bloody horse! []
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

[]

Of course you are. I never doubted it... []

(Good girl, Myrtle... It'll be our little secret.) []

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Back when Fellowship came out I saw it at least 5 times in the cinema, IIRC. It seems that The Hobbit is having a similar 'must see this again!' effect. I've now seen it 3 times and I must say it's improved with each viewing. Some things still bug me, but on the whole I think it's a great adaptation. Lets face it, it was off to a good start when they got rid of those awful garden gnome hoods. []
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"oak makes poor shields."

True, when it's old and dry anyway. "Shield" was only a figure of speech, since Thorin cut a branch of oak to use as a shield; so it would be springy and tough.
But after 100 years, not so much! []

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Sauron's Secret Agent
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1891

posted      Profile for Sauron's Secret Agent   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for off topic posting, but didn't the FOTR apple have a fan club? I thought it did, and that I was a member, but I can't find it. It's so nice to see the apple back on set.

Sorry - I found it.

[ 01-15-2013, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: Sauron's Secret Agent ]

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Braeden Fireheart
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1953

posted      Profile for Braeden Fireheart   Author's Homepage   Email Braeden Fireheart   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
More OT-ness:
quote:
Confound it all! I'm a horselord, not an actual bloody horse!
You sound like Hidalgo. [] I miss that horse. []
From: Mnemosyne's orchard | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
Good, you don't wanna step in dog-poop []
Angathas
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1319
posted      Profile for Angathas   Author's Homepage   Email Angathas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the strongest scene in "The Hobbit" was when Bilbo is standing invisible right in front of Gollum who sadly realizes that he has lost the Ring. And Bilbo debates in his mind whether or not to slay Gollum. He spares him. This makes me recall in FOTR when Frodo tells Gandalf that Bilbo "should've killed Gollum when he had the chance". Well, this WAS the Chance! And Bilbo found in own humanity the courage not to slay a life.
From: Staten Island, New York 10306 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think you mean "hobbitity". []
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
[removed due to wrong section]

[ 01-28-2013, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

Alright, dude, if you're just going to pick apart the movie, then get out. That's not what this thread is about.
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. Also, the hate thread needs more posts, so why not let's move it there.
From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Have fun! []
Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Oi, Myrtle! []
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
Keep your shorts dry, it was mistakenly posted in the wrong section.
Learn relaxation []

Maia Olorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2354
posted      Profile for Maia Olorin   Email Maia Olorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Learn boundaries.
Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

quote:
Keep your shorts dry, it was mistakenly posted in the wrong section.
Of course it was.

Now run along.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Forth Eorlingas? []
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Hobbit » Movie-phile Ecstasy - Dazzlingly marvellous! Perfect! Flawless! Staggering! (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help